First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Phoenix.Cathaldus
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: DanielH
By Phoenix.Cathaldus 2011-12-13 11:45:15  
Leviathan.Phenomena said: »
Chyula said: »
drk sacrific hp and defense power for attack power, I don't see why we can't sacrific mp and magic defense for added magical power on our swings.

I mean i thought i read when i originally played that drk were masters of weapons like war... well if they are.. and they can use magic.. then they should know how to utilize both of them together. i really dont see why they dont. i mean we get 1 thing like this and thats endark. i would figure they would add new ways to enhance our dmg through magic that effected our melee.

I think it was just from the offset they stated RDM had the ability to enhance their sword with elemental magic. They even have a NPC mention it. Endark and Enlight are exceptions as they're not elemental.
 Leviathan.Phenomena
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Gawdless
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2011-12-13 11:45:45  
Also what the devs didnt realize is that after some time you outlvl any use of the spells they gave us. because there's no sufficient spell growth. i mean i will never cast abs mnd,chr,vit,agi,etc because the gains are meager for me, and you dont notice it on any mob worthwhile and mobs that aren't worthwhile it would be a waste to cast on.

They should Increase how much i can abs (Up to 50 unresisted) and make it not decay... then i would cast more.
 Leviathan.Phenomena
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2011-12-13 11:48:05  
Phoenix.Cathaldus said: »
drk sacrific hp and defense power for attack power, I don't see why we can't sacrific mp and magic defense for added magical power on our swings.

I mean i thought i read when i originally played that drk were masters of weapons like war... well if they are.. and they can use magic.. then they should know how to utilize both of them together. i really dont see why they dont. i mean we get 1 thing like this and thats endark. i would figure they would add new ways to enhance our dmg through magic that effected our melee.

I think it was just from the offset they stated RDM had the ability to enhance their sword with elemental magic. They even have a NPC mention it. Endark and Enlight are exceptions as they're not elemental.

ya i get that. but to me drk seems more suited to enspells. i mean they are more versed in melee... and it would even give a reason as for why they even have elemental magic -.-

also i propose for a grip. that gives the same stats as a elemental HQ staff. for drk only. that works for all magic. not just 1 element. would get drks into casting more on its on really
 Shiva.Damonz
サーバ: Shiva
user: Damonz
By Shiva.Damonz 2011-12-13 11:52:37  

ya i get that. but to me drk seems more suited to enspells. i mean they are more versed in melee... and it would even give a reason as for why they even have elemental magic -.-

also i propose for a grip. that gives the same stats as a elemental HQ staff. for drk only. that works for all magic. not just 1 element. would get drks into casting more on its on really

unless it's extremely overpowered I can't see any drk's even equiping this, it would need to give I'd say a minimum of +50% dmg increase from spells before I'd even consider it over a real grip, and most likely not even then.
By Chyula 2011-12-13 12:43:51  
just give drk an alternate version of enspell that cost mp per swing or cost mp over time. the added eletemental dmg(significantly better than rdm's version) can apply to normal swing and ws plus the best part if SE is not lazy make the weapons grow with an aura representing each enspell elements. drk job fixed! or better yet mae a cool elemental dmg animation after every ws performed and it can change ws properties.
 Odin.Seconds
サーバ: Odin
user: s0jik
By Odin.Seconds 2011-12-13 13:12:31  
Leviathan.Quetzacoatl said: »
Odin.Seconds said: »
Samurai can solo skillchains easy.
Dancer can solo skillchains easy.
Blu can solo skillchains easy.
Ukko war can solo a light skillchain massively.
Drg can solo skillchains via Spirit Link.
Nin can dodge skillchains (tenzen fight).
Pup can skillchain with their thing.
Drk can skillchain using /SAM decently.

ftfy

And what skillchain would that be, and using what weapon skills.
You can close Darkness with Catatrophe, and we all know every DRK has that, right?
By volkom 2011-12-13 13:14:52  

ftfy

You can close Darkness with Catatrophe, and we all know every DRK has that, right?
torcleaver -> torcleaver = light
By Untouchablevoid 2011-12-13 13:15:31  
just give drk an alternate version of enspell that cost mp per swing or cost mp over time. the added eletemental dmg(significantly better than rdm's version) can apply to normal swing and ws plus the best part if SE is not lazy make the weapons grow with an aura representing each enspell elements. drk job fixed! or better yet mae a cool elemental dmg animation after every ws performed and it can change ws properties.

With Endark, I don't think SE would give DRK a new enspell this late in the game. =/
Also with Scarlet Delirium, it's probably their way of encouraging more casting for DRK (that and Occult Acumen IV). At least that could give you tp faster?
 Fenrir.Kendraian
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Boondo15
By Fenrir.Kendraian 2011-12-13 13:22:17  
Reduced Black Magic Skill? Fast Cast for DRK! :D jk >.> But on a real not maybe DRK should be able to Solo MB just like SCH can.
 Odin.Seconds
サーバ: Odin
user: s0jik
By Odin.Seconds 2011-12-13 13:24:06  
volkom said: »

ftfy

I stand corrected with that.

But in terms of magic usage, Light doesn't help a DRK any.
 Alexander.Jaydee
サーバ: Alexander
user: Rigidd
By Alexander.Jaydee 2011-12-13 13:24:56  
i know all the fuse about being able to cast during melee went out the window.(event thou u could just give it to drk as a job trait) and if we are not getting spells similar to blu.( .5 sec casting) im hoping for buffs. since en spells were mentioned befor, no reson y drk couldn't have a true En Drain. adds dmg to each swing unlike drain samda. a spell that makes ur next hit 100% crit would be nice. there are plenty of ideas to help drk while still makingit utalize its magic. and the excuse of balance it a bit lol imo since the jobs have never been balanced.well thats just my 2 cents. either way it goes im excited that the post aby content will include the need of more then 6 jobs to do anything
By volkom 2011-12-13 13:43:52  
drk should get a stance like velocity shot or afflatus solace, where it lasts for two hours. Be it something like increase player's attack power/damage/crit-rate/crit-damage the more they use dark magic (up to a cap)
 Fenrir.Kendraian
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Boondo15
By Fenrir.Kendraian 2011-12-13 14:20:56  
drk should get a stance like velocity shot or afflatus solace, where it lasts for two hours. Be it something like increase player's attack power/damage/crit-rate/crit-damage the more they use dark magic (up to a cap)

DRK needs help.
 Diabolos.Raelia
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2011-12-13 14:43:18  

I stand corrected with that.

But in terms of magic usage, Light doesn't help a DRK any.
Quietus -> Quietus = Darkness

Catastrophe -> Catastrophe = Darkness

Seriously, what kind of DRK doesn't know the latter at least?

Quote:
DRK 0
Why are you here? Why are you questioning the assertions of people knowledgeable about a job you haven't even unlocked?

DRK doesn't need self-SC. It needs a new scythe WS (even Quietus is just a sidegrade of Guillotine by any measure).

DRK needs pretty much anything but Entropy at this point, because that will only encourage SE to keep Scythe mediocre, utilitarian, and 90% useless. I'll probably use it less than Cross Reaper (which is handy DRK/DNC with OA2-4 Scythe after playing it safe to 300tp on a link or something then dropping Curing Waltz III and 250tp isn't enough for Spiral Hell).
 Leviathan.Phenomena
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2011-12-13 14:46:19  
Shiva.Damonz said: »

unless it's extremely overpowered I can't see any drk's even equiping this, it would need to give I'd say a minimum of +50% dmg increase from spells before I'd even consider it over a real grip, and most likely not even then.

As i said it would give the same thing as the HQ ele staves but an all in one grip. i think there are only 3 grips atm drks use. sword,rose, and pole.. if they gave us a magic grip that is a hq staff equivalent that would help with all spells <including future spells> then i think it would be worth arranging some other minor items to still obtain ur X-hit build (rose/sword).

like i said never going to happen but it would be a way for SE to get drks into casting more. if any for some.
By volkom 2011-12-13 14:47:19  
er...

y so mean D:
 Diabolos.Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2011-12-13 15:03:07  
Let's clear something up about Occult Acumen real quick too.

Thunder III costs 128 mp. With Tier 4 Occult Acumen that's 12.8tp, for 6.75 seconds of casting (better or worse depending on gear vs hasso/seigan).

"That's 12.8 TP you can use! The trait is good!"

No. Stop right there. Let's get something straight. If you don't get at least 16.7 or 20.0 TP from casting anything, regardless of casting time, that TP is absolutely and totally useless in terms of WSing. Go figure this is the same reason Conserve TP is so freakin' lulzy. So follow me on this:

Let's get hypthetical up in this biznatch! You've got a 5-hit with 20 TP a swing. Swing three times for 20tp each. Derp it up a little and cast Thunder III for 12.8 TP return, you're now at 72.8 TP. Swing again: 92.8 TP... you still have to swing again to WS. See that? It wasn't enough to make up for a whole swing, so you ended up swinging just as many times to get 100 TP. You'd have to cast no less than two spells, and all the casting time wasted that implies, to garner one swing's worth of TP for Occult Acumen to even have had a useful effect. There's a hypothetical option that one could cast Thunder III in +31 Store TP to get a 16.7 TP return, but then why in the name of Zeus's butthole are you casting elemental magic if TP gain is your goal?

Are we clear on this? Occult Acumen is as worthless as Conserve TP for exactly the same reason. It is the shining example of SE's total incompetence surrounding DRK and anyone who brings it up again will be sacked.
By volkom 2011-12-13 15:07:23  
occult acumen isn't worthless.

it has its uses
 Diabolos.Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2011-12-13 15:08:54  

it has its uses
Sure. Just cast 768mp worth of spells for one WS.

Oh, don't have 768mp? Just use Entropy halfway thr-!.. oooooohhh, right f**k... Gee. Um...
 Bismarck.Pawnskipper
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Pawnskipper 2011-12-13 15:10:17  
Diabolos.Raelia said: »
Let's clear something up about Occult Acumen real quick too. Thunder III costs 128 mp. With Tier 4 Occult Acumen that's 12.8tp, for 6.75 seconds of casting (better or worse depending on gear vs hasso/seigan). "That's 12.8 TP you can use! The trait is good!" No. Stop right there. Let's get something straight. If you don't get at least 16.7 or 20.0 TP from casting anything, regardless of casting time, that TP is absolutely and totally useless in terms of WSing. Go figure this is the same reason Conserve TP is so freakin' lulzy. So follow me on this: Let's get hypthetical up in this biznatch! You've got a 5-hit with 20 TP a swing. Swing three times for 20tp each. Derp it up a little and cast Thunder III for 12.8 TP return, you're now at 72.8 TP. Swing again: 92.8 TP... you still have to swing again to WS. See that? It wasn't enough to make up for a whole swing, so you ended up swinging just as many times to get 100 TP. You'd have to cast no less than two spells, and all the casting time wasted that implies, to garner one swing's worth of TP for Occult Acumen to even have had a useful effect. There's a hypothetical option that one could cast Thunder III in +31 Store TP to get a 16.7 TP return, but then why in the name of Zeus's butthole are you casting elemental magic if TP gain is your goal? Are we clear on this? Occult Acumen is as worthless as Conserve TP for exactly the same reason. It is the shining example of SE's total incompetence surrounding DRK and anyone who brings it up again will be sacked.

What if your group is fighting a NM with 1 tank and you dont want to feed to much TP to the mob other than WS, but there are no normal mobs to TP on?
By volkom 2011-12-13 15:10:57  

it has its uses

Oh, don't have 768mp? Just use Entropy halfway thr-.. oooooohhh right f**k... Gee. Um...

Well I can see situations in which you don't want melee going nuts on a mob. dropping small nukes or casting bio to build tp can help while meditate is down and inbetween absorb tp.
 Diabolos.Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2011-12-13 15:15:07  

it has its uses

Oh, don't have 768mp? Just use Entropy halfway thr-.. oooooohhh right f**k... Gee. Um...

Well I can see situations in which you don't want melee going nuts on a mob. dropping small nukes or casting bio to build tp can help while meditate is down and inbetween absorb tp.
See, now go back and read again.

What good is 4 TP when you still have to swing for the other 16 TP you're missing.

It's a total failure of mechanics, not concept. You're looking at the concept, not the mechanics.
 Bismarck.Pawnskipper
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Pawnskipper 2011-12-13 15:16:06  
occult acumen isn't worthless. it has its uses
Sure. Just cast 768mp worth of spells for one WS. Oh, don't have 768mp? Just use Entropy halfway thr-!.. oooooohhh, right f**k... Gee. Um...

Why in the name of all that makes sense would you burn that much mana. Occult Accumen is to supplement your TP gain while using magic. Period. No one in their right mind would burn so much magic for 100 TP. You know that was not what she was getting at. lol

The trait is kind of unnecessary; but not useless.
 Diabolos.Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2011-12-13 15:19:46  
Bismarck.Pawnskipper said: »
Sure. Just cast 768mp worth of spells for one WS. Oh, don't have 768mp? Just use Entropy halfway thr-!.. oooooohhh, right f**k... Gee. Um...

Why in the name of all that makes sense would you burn that much mana. Occult Accumen is to supplement your TP gain while using magic. Period. No one in their right mind would burn so much magic for 100 TP. You know that was not what she was getting at. lol
Because casting one spell will NEVER (barring a Store TP build on Thunder III) give you enough TP to have mattered at all. You still need 5, 6, or 7 swings to make 100TP. You aren't supplementing anything, you're just gaining trivial amounts of TP that only in very specific arrangements produce anything meaningful, but then you've wasted more time casting spells and probably now have to use Entropy because of all the MP you blew for your ~100 damage Tier 3 nukes.

'Not useless' does not mean useful. If you can swing at something there's no reason to cast spells for paltry Occult Acumen returns. If you can't swing at something the amount of casting required for that TP to reach a useful amount (100 TP) is beyond the limits of DRK's MP pool and recast times.
By volkom 2011-12-13 15:23:07  

Because casting one spell will NEVER (barring a Store TP build on Thunder III) give you enough TP to have mattered at all. You still need 5, 6, or 7 swings to make 100TP. You aren't supplementing anything, you're just gaining trivial amounts of TP that only in very specific arrangements produce anything meaningful, but then you've wasted more time casting spells and probably now have to use Entropy because of all the MP you blew for your ~100 damage Tier 3 nukes.

'Not useless' does not mean useful.

a situational job trait for situational situations. This is FFXI
 Shiva.Damonz
By Shiva.Damonz 2011-12-13 15:24:10  

The trait is kind of unnecessary; but not useless.
The point is OA would only work if you could cast thunder3 2 times in the same amount of time it took you to swing 1 time, then you'd actually gain TP, otherwise just swinging at something gets you faster TP gain, IE more white damge and more WS's
 Diabolos.Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2011-12-13 15:25:04  
There is no situation where it is useful. See above and please stop. I beg you.

If you can swing, you swing.

If you can't swing, you switch to BLM because Occult Acumen isn't giving you enough TP to do anything but use Entropy for less than half the MP you blew for it.

How is this a difficult concept?

Never assume that because something exists it must be useful. This is FFXI
By volkom 2011-12-13 15:31:23  

If you can't swing, you switch to BLM because Occult Acumen isn't giving you enough TP to do anything but use Entropy for less than half the MP you blew for it.

but this thread is about occult acumen on drk...I don't want to leave the battle, job change, look for all my blm gear and swap it with my drk gear and get back to the fight only to have it be finished because it took 20minutes just looking for the stuff in my moghouse.
 Shiva.Damonz
By Shiva.Damonz 2011-12-13 15:35:09  

but this thread is about occult acumen on drk...I don't want to leave the battle, job change, look for all my blm gear and swap it with my drk gear and get back to the fight only to have it be finished because it took 20minutes just looking for the stuff in my moghouse.
It's actually about magic usage, and if you're that worried about gaining TP while not meleeing, then /rdm and use a fast cast set and spam absorb TP. After all that sounds pretty situational >.>
 Diabolos.Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2011-12-13 15:37:18  
Okay let's make this extra super easy.

Do you:

A.
Cast Thunder III for 16.7 TP and 120 damage, which takes 6.75 seconds plus a 29 second recast time.

or

B. Swing your Great Sword for 16.7 TP and 320 damage, which takes 4.05 seconds.

Please think before you answer. Please... just think.

Because interestingly the best way to get 100 TP from spells would be to have a hitbuild, but the only spell we have that reaches 16.7 TP with an acceptable amount of Store TP (+31) is Thunder III... which we don't actually get til tomorrow!
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8