Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2019-03-02 22:13:48  
Asura.Yojimmbo said: »
I'm not sure why people think that the weapon alone is enough.
People have been doing this since 75 days and I have no idea why.

People have a hard time understanding that gear sets are like puzzles and the weapon is nothing more than a piece of it.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
サーバ: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-03-02 22:24:10  
Pretty easy to understand why tbh.

Most of that blame you can put right on this site. Shiney weapons are worth imaginary points, but gear, absolutely zero. No incentive to get good gear, only weapon.

Weapons glow! Very few (body only) armor glows. Idiots go straight bananas for shiney objects... its animal nature. (gemstones, rare metals mostly* completely worthless except that they look purdy etc)

No piece of gear takes any measurable amount of effort, only luck or money. A weapon takes a modicum of effort to slog through "the process" (even with money). They think that means something.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2019-03-02 22:29:38  
It's clear that weapons are trophies and people tunnel vision because of this but when you use them with piss poor gear it's pretty easy to see that you're doing ***.

Yet, they don't.
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-03-02 22:33:46  
I dont think its that complex. I blame other mmo's with that hand holding hand you everything crap. ffxi is one of the only games out now that does things this way, most newer mmo/rpgs weapon = godmode, so they assume as much for this game. Coupled with people who are just idiots and dont understand how ffxi works.
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2019-03-02 22:34:29  
Asura.Eiryl said: »

Most of that blame you can put right on this site. Shiney weapons are worth imaginary points, but gear, absolutely zero. No incentive to get good gear, only weapon.

Weapons glow! Very few (body only) armor glows. Idiots go straight bananas for shiney objects... its animal nature. (gemstones, rare metals mostly* completely worthless except that they look purdy etc)

No piece of gear takes any measurable amount of effort, only luck or money. A weapon takes a modicum of effort to slog through "the process" (even with money). They think that means something.

Not just this, but the REMA weapons all have long/expensive questlines whereas all other equipment comes from synthesis or rare drops. The questlines are designed to give us an impression that the weapons are in a separate class from regular drops.

And they're not wrong, if you look at the marginal benefit of weapons versus individual pieces of gear, the weapons usually win out. The issue is that the money/effort you put into a weapon actually could be used to develop an entire GEARSET.

People will say that "a Nirvana is better than a +2 necklace" but that was never the issue, the issue is "Nirvana versus an entire physical BP gearset". And the gearset usually wins out.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-03-02 22:37:23  
They need to do the thing all the other games do and start calling armor "special".

"Relic" and "Artifact" are just "old" they're not good "buzzwords" they need to follow all the other games and fire up the dipshit titles like "epic" and "legendary" and "god armor".

That has a 100% chance of changing "rema shout" to "armor name shout"
[+]
By Shichishito 2019-03-02 22:41:47  

i can't imagine there is more than a handfull of special people who give a damn about the points on this site.
i think it is more a issue with REMA shouts and people wanting to participate.

of course people will first aim for REMA over other gear slots if thats the primary factor that decides wether or not you get accepted to shout parties. even if pimping out all the other slots would be cheaper/faster/yield better results, it doesn't matter if you get turned down for not owning a REMA.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-03-02 22:44:34  
Shichishito said: »

i can't imagine there is more than a handfull of special people who give a damn about the points on this site.

of course people will first aim for REMA over other gear slots if thats the primary factor that decides wether or not you get accepted to shout parties. even if pimping out all the other slots would be cheaper/faster/yield better results, it doesn't matter if you get turned down for not owning a REMA.

have you seen the amount of "oh my god my points are gone" threads every time the points get screwed up? Or the amount of "how do I update my points gw stopped working halppz! threads?

You're relatively new so probably not.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2019-03-02 22:45:59  
Actually this is a weakness of the notion of "horizontal progression."

The REMA weapons are largely superior to all other weapons in the game, and thus this aspect follows the vertical progression model. It's easy to see that just based on numbers. You also cannot swap weapons in battle (or at least you shouldn't...). So because of this, the REMA weapons are a kind of measuring stick used to compare characters.

Gear, on the other hand, is essentially centered on horizontal progression. And because of this, no one piece of gear is unilaterally superior to all of its competitors: this is why we have gearswaps. A "REMA-type equipment set" is antithetical to FFXI as a whole because it effectively removes the horizontal progression aspect of this game. This would be crippling.

Other games have more vertical approaches so you can see someone's gear score and say "Okay, this is high enough for this boss", but by design this is not present in FFXI. So the downside is that there's no real way to see someone's actual preparedness for a content besides word of mouth, knowing them personally, or inspecting multiple gearsets.
[+]
By Afania 2019-03-02 22:53:37  
Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »

Not just this, but the REMA weapons all have long/expensive questlines whereas all other equipment comes from synthesis or rare drops. The questlines are designed to give us an impression that the weapons are in a separate class from regular drops.

And they're not wrong, if you look at the marginal benefit of weapons versus individual pieces of gear, the weapons usually win out. The issue is that the money/effort you put into a weapon actually could be used to develop an entire GEARSET.

People will say that "a Nirvana is better than a +2 necklace" but that was never the issue, the issue is "Nirvana versus an entire physical BP gearset". And the gearset usually wins out.

That's why I advocate parses more than gear checks. Gear doesnt mean a thing because ultimately its in game dps that matters. Sadly people usually associate parses with ego, then the entire point was missed.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-03-02 23:01:32  
You can't use a parse as a gauge.

It's an after thought. As far as pick up content. No one is going to remember how bad you parsed tomorrow. Only lunatics keep lists like that.

And throwing a parse is incredibly easy. You can wear the best everything and still underperform if you want to. Shouldn't bar you for life just weren't feelin' it yesterday.
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2019-03-02 23:02:25  
Afania said: »

That's why I advocate parses more than gear checks. Gear doesnt mean a thing because ultimately its in game dps that matters. Sadly people usually associate parses with ego, then the entire point was missed.

Depending on the job I take parses with a grain of salt. For raw DD they're decent, but parses don't do quite as good a job on hybrid jobs. Plenty of factors are outside of one person's control... if a healer chooses one melee to paralyna first, the results will be skewed. I personally use parses to see if something is horribly wrong with a specific person's output. (We've identified problems this way)

Parses are a good heuristic, sure, but they are by no means as definitive as people like to think they are.
 Shiva.Nayomi
Guildwork Premium
サーバ: Shiva
user: nayomi423
By Shiva.Nayomi 2019-03-02 23:07:29  
Asura.Chaostaru said: »
Asura.Topace said: »
IMO
Drk

Clad> Anguta> Liberator> Apoc> Trash> Ragnorok
(Not Sure about empty scythe don’t see anyone with it)

War
Chango> Ukon> Conqueror> >Bravura> trash> Ragnorok

Tho from the sounds of it, it’s really chango or bust

Kaja axe or gtfo
Does it really beat R15 Chango or are you being sarcastic?
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-03-02 23:11:12  
You can't use a parse as a gauge.

It's an after thought. As far as pick up content. No one is going to remember how bad you parsed tomorrow. Only lunatics keep lists like that.

And throwing a parse is incredibly easy. You can wear the best everything and still underperform if you want to. Shouldn't bar you for life just weren't feelin' it yesterday.

I dont keep a list, but I have a photographic memory so I tend not to forget for ex: when a smn does 5% total damage in a smn burn parse several times, then days later wants an inv to the same NM on the same job. Nope.

Shiva.Nayomi said: »
IMO
Drk

War

Kaja axe or gtfo
Im being serious. Kaja too Op plz nerf
By Afania 2019-03-02 23:31:07  
No one is going to remember how bad you parsed tomorrow.

If I organize the pt, I do and I will. In fact if someone's parse impress me, I just send tell directly to that person for the DD slot next time. Since I believe it's pt organizers responsibility to keep a pt work well.

That being said, I don't go overboard on that in every content. For example I'm not going to insist server top 1% DD for SR because that would be silly. But knowing how each member performs makes it easier to control the outcome in semi challenging content like dyna and VD.

Depending on the job I take parses with a grain of salt. For raw DD they're decent, but parses don't do quite as good a job on hybrid jobs. Plenty of factors are outside of one person's control... if a healer chooses one melee to paralyna first, the results will be skewed. I personally use parses to see if something is horribly wrong with a specific person's output. (We've identified problems this way)

Parses are a good heuristic, sure, but they are by no means as definitive as people like to think they are.

And here's a thing, the examples that yoh listed is one aspect that separates players that you can rely on and players that you can't.

For example, there's one career DD that I know of always carry remedy/pana so if whm can't heal he can get rid of it. So as a result, he still parse higher even if whm can't -na.

Alternatively a DD that cares will just ask in pt chat but DD that doesn't will never communicate. As a leader I prefer to work with one that communicates.

For hybrid jobs, many player has the tendency to play more conservatively, even when it's not necessary. And parse flat out shows their understanding of big picture.

Using dnc as an example, I've seen people fan dance full time on things that does magical dmg more than physical. That's dps lose. I've also seen people spam divine waltz 2 after aoe with a whm that can heal, so waltz cures 0...0...0 and fight took longer.

A good DD/hybrid job players will make decisions that ultimately contribute to faster kill speed. I don't mean war should never do break, dnc should never step etc. I mean they don't make decisions that lowers their dps for no real benefit. And I do believe a good player can control the situation to certain degree.

So in a way, parse still works. As long as leader know how to read the information from it that is.
 Shiva.Nayomi
Guildwork Premium
サーバ: Shiva
user: nayomi423
By Shiva.Nayomi 2019-03-02 23:57:53  
Quote:
Shiva.Nayomi said: »
IMO
Drk

War

Kaja axe or gtfo
Im being serious. Kaja too Op plz nerf
By Shichishito 2019-03-03 00:10:00  
Shichishito said: »

have you seen the amount of "oh my god my points are gone" threads every time the points get screwed up? Or the amount of "how do I update my points gw stopped working halppz! threads?

You're relatively new so probably not.

now that you mention it... guess there are more special people on this board than i thought.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2019-03-03 00:26:12  

And here's a thing, the examples that yoh listed is one aspect that separates players that you can rely on and players that you can't.

For example, there's one career DD that I know of always carry remedy/pana so if whm can't heal he can get rid of it. So as a result, he still parse higher even if whm can't -na.

Alternatively a DD that cares will just ask in pt chat but DD that doesn't will never communicate. As a leader I prefer to work with one that communicates.

For hybrid jobs, many player has the tendency to play more conservatively, even when it's not necessary. And parse flat out shows their understanding of big picture.

Using dnc as an example, I've seen people fan dance full time on things that does magical dmg more than physical. That's dps lose. I've also seen people spam divine waltz 2 after aoe with a whm that can heal, so waltz cures 0...0...0 and fight took longer.

A good DD/hybrid job players will make decisions that ultimately contribute to faster kill speed. I don't mean war should never do break, dnc should never step etc. I mean they don't make decisions that lowers their dps for no real benefit. And I do believe a good player can control the situation to certain degree.

So in a way, parse still works. As long as leader know how to read the information from it that is.

I don't disagree, I carry remedies on me too, but stuff like resists (esp amnesia) and various RNG elements contribute is just what I'm saying. A collection of parses is better than a single one (something something law of large numbers)
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-03-03 00:30:33  
Ejin posted his Kaja sword video now too. If you thought decimation was broken, boy, lul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq6SEM7ot5Q

50k Decimation was the average iirc, savage blades in the 70k range. mostly because of warcry not working on decimation.
By Afania 2019-03-03 00:49:11  
Ejin posted his Kaja sword video now too. If you thought decimation was broken, boy, lul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq6SEM7ot5Q

50k Decimation was the average iirc, savage blades in the 70k range. mostly because of warcry not working on decimation.

Has people never seen a war MS zerg? I'm not trying to "argue" here ,just curious why is everyone impressed so much?

I clicked on that video and appearantly Ejiin used MS on that WoC. The scoreboard showed 30k ws avg near the end.

I checked last LS WAR zerg, raetic +1 avg 37k and chango avg 33k. Both are higher than that video. Nevermind the fact that 2h TP faster. 30k avg doesn't seem "OP" no?

30k seems alright and I acknowledge it's pretty good for a new player and shadows benefit, but it doesn't seem to be 1 tier higher than current optimal builds.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-03-03 00:54:58  
You, are literally, always "trying" to argue, literally 100% of the time.

But anyway. Ignore woc, its a flawed showcase. Look at the numbers on Yakshi axe vs sword.
 Bismarck.Ringoko
サーバ: Bismarck
user: appleboy
By Bismarck.Ringoko 2019-03-03 01:03:34  
Has people never seen a war MS zerg? I'm not trying to "argue" here ,just curious why is everyone impressed so much?

Even if the numbers aren't higher than current optimal builds, its impressive to see since these weapons are easy to obtain, free, and not yet complete. They're pretty much close to poopooing on those optimal builds you mentioned and the cost of obtaining them is significantly less.
By Afania 2019-03-03 01:09:49  

But anyway. Ignore woc, its a flawed showcase. Look at the numbers on R3 axe vs sword.

100% of time is hyperbole. This is a game mechanic discussion. If someone post something, of course whatever people reply will be direct response to it or adds new info to it. What else do you expect from a direct response?

I picked WoC because I currently don't have data of how a MS reso would avg on maju now. WoC is all I have. However I just want to point out MS itself isnt a good indicator of a ws's real potential.

60k or even 80k+ with MS is very common using a different WS. That's how it goes.

Dmg without MS is much more accurate, IMO.

I don't mind people post more testimonials, but as it is it seems alright but not at "OP" level like what Tiz/TP bonus do to blu.
By Afania 2019-03-03 01:11:53  
Bismarck.Ringoko said: »

Even if the numbers aren't higher than current optimal builds, its impressive to see since these weapons are easy to obtain, free, and not yet complete. They're pretty much close to poopooing on those optimal builds you mentioned and the cost of obtaining them is significantly less.

I already point that out. But I don't think it's 1 tier above raetic +1/R15 chango as it is. Even if it's better it's probably slightly better and that's before counting SC benefits.

There's even one post in another thread got "bitter" over kaja axe but not tizona. I'm wondering if it's because video has greater impact on people's impression on weapon performance.

But anyway. Ignore woc, its a flawed showcase. Look at the numbers on Yakshi axe vs sword.

That Yakshi had MS too. He streamed a wave 3 run with axe, the avg was 27k on scoreboard when I checked at some point. That's a much more accurate indication of how axe performs in normal endgame settings.
 Quetzalcoatl.Commencal
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Scwall
By Quetzalcoatl.Commencal 2019-03-03 01:26:01  
Oh come on, it's been YEARS since we could DW and not incredibly piss our DPS away. Let us have some fun without another 5 page argument.
[+]
By Afania 2019-03-03 02:07:38  
Quetzalcoatl.Commencal said: »
Oh come on, it's been YEARS since we could DW and not incredibly piss our DPS away. Let us have some fun without another 5 page argument.

If there's anyone trying to stop people having fun with DW, it's people that demand a nerf to kaja axe build, that person is not me :p.
[+]
 Asura.Topace
user: Topace
By Asura.Topace 2019-03-03 05:01:24  
Idc idc. War and Drk were far away the best DPS. And they go ahead and drop that broken *** sword and axe. Lul. Nerf!
By Treizekordero 2019-03-03 05:09:32  
Inb4 next stage axe gives Decimation +150% or all ambu weapons get follow up attack +1 and 269 skill
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8