Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Duvessa
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Veronika
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-08 01:01:11  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Siren.Jingles said:
Part of building and keeping hate is dealing damage. Hence why most PLDs TP in things like Haub 1 and the new Nocturnus mail. If you're hitting for 0, you're not building TP for Atonement. STR raises your cap for damage while Attack allows you to reach that cap.
You really don't understand how melee dmg is calculated do you?

Thanks lol... I was about to post pretty much the same thing but refreshed this thread in another page to make sure it hadn't already been posted.

People who don't understand mechanics of the game should just keep quiet and not act like they do. Go test AGI. Wear as much as you can and see if it effects your parry and your block rate. It needs to be on a mob that matches your corresponding skills in the trait and your stats though, otherwise it won't be accurate.
 Siren.Eclipsys
サーバ: Siren
user: Eclipsys
By Siren.Eclipsys 2010-05-08 01:01:28  
Yes! And finally I can level DNC. I am so damn excited.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Duvessa
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-08 01:03:38  
Sylph.Vincentius said:
Duvessa, stop defending mediocrity. In 2010, unless they started in 2009, nobody is a single job player anymore.

*COUGH*Check the OP's job list before you talk*COUGH*

And based off their gear I'd say they did not start in 2009. It's POSSIBLE, but unlikely. Nobody helps you anymore on FFXI complete COP and such :P
 Siren.Eclipsys
By Siren.Eclipsys 2010-05-08 01:03:39  
Asura.Bartimaeus said:
PLD threads get almost as much action as SAM gear threads.

You guys lurveee this stuff huh :x

Oh I never post. I just saw Jingles posting and decided to mess with some people. '.'
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-08 01:03:40  
Siren.Eclipsys said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
You seem to be using a common sub-conscious defensive mechanism called 'Avoidance' here.

Please explain to me unless you cannot.

Oh hello attention ***. You keep barking for my attention so I'll give it to you. The game has always been competitive. Getting drops, outlotting people for certain items, winning in ballista, claiming HNMs, claiming normal NMs, etc.

I see competition in all of those instances. If you don't see it it's because you, as I said before, don't know what you're talking about.

But your not directly competing with anyone there.

Getting drops is about luck, Outlotting someone is also about luck, gear and skill mean nothing when everything down to the roll of a virtual die.

Ballista hasn't been done in years on many servers, but I do agree when it was in full swing it did have a competitive edge to it

Claiming HNM's is all about bots

Claiming normal HNM's again has more of a competitive edge to it but no-where near to the level of other genre's of games.

I don't see where in any of those instances calling someone a scrub is the correct thing to do. 'Scrubyness' is normally an insult predominately used against people you have been in direct competition with (As in PVP) and for a game that doesn't heavily revolve around PVP the word 'Scrub' is the incorrect insult to use.

Gimp is correct however.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-08 01:05:16  
Garuda.Mabrook said:
GDI bart you killed the flame... -_-;

Edit: nvm lol.

Oh I'm not flaming at all, I'm just musing over the use of the term 'Scrub' in an MMORPG not based around PVP.
[+]
 Siren.Eclipsys
By Siren.Eclipsys 2010-05-08 01:06:33  
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Getting drops is about luck, Outlotting someone is also about luck, gear and skill mean nothing when everything down to the roll of a virtual die.

Ballista hasn't been done in years on many servers, but I do agree when it was in full swing it did have a competitive edge to it

Claiming normal HNM's again has more of a competitive edge to it but no-where near to the level of other genre's of games.

I don't see where in any of those instances calling someone a scrub is the correct thing to do. 'Scrubyness' is normally an insult predominately used against people you have been in direct competition with (As in PVP) and for a game that doesn't heavily revolve around PVP the word 'Scrub' is the incorrect insult to use.

Gimp is correct however.

Define "direct competition". If you mean direct as in physical, then I think everyone is in an unanimous agreement that there is no physical competition. Also, define "luck". Do you not compete with other people when you gamble?
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-08 01:08:09  
Siren.Eclipsys said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Gimp is correct however.

Define "direct competition". If you mean direct as in physical, then I think everyone is in an unanimous agreement that there is no physical competition. Also, define "luck". Do you not compete with other people when you gamble?

I wouldn't say the competitive nature of this game warrants the use of the term scrub at all. I would call someone a "Lucky ***" or a "*** tool" before I would call them a "Scrub" in a luck based environment.
 Leviathan.Duvessa
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-08 01:09:16  
Direct Competition = PVP like he's said many times...

This guy is dense... are they all that thick on siren?
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-08 01:11:17  
Anyway, I think that is enough for me for one night, it's 7:10 am and I'm tired as hell.

Maker watch over us
 Siren.Eclipsys
By Siren.Eclipsys 2010-05-08 01:11:19  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
I wouldn't say the competitive nature of this game warrants the use of the term scrub at all. I would call someone a "Lucky ***" or a "*** tool" before I would call them a "Scrub" in a luck based environment.

My definition of a "scrub" is someone who does not have enough experience in a game (honestly it could apply to almost anything: a scrub at guitar playing, a scrub at swimming, a scrub at birdwatching, etc.) In this case, scrub means "noob". Luck has nothing to do with how experienced you are in a game.
 Siren.Jingles
user: Jingles
By Siren.Jingles 2010-05-08 01:12:11  
Leviathan.Duvessa said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Siren.Jingles said:
Part of building and keeping hate is dealing damage. Hence why most PLDs TP in things like Haub 1 and the new Nocturnus mail. If you're hitting for 0, you're not building TP for Atonement. STR raises your cap for damage while Attack allows you to reach that cap.

Thanks lol... I was about to post pretty much the same thing but refreshed this thread in another page to make sure it hadn't already been posted.

People who don't understand mechanics of the game should just keep quiet and not act like they do. Go test AGI. Wear as much as you can and see if it effects your parry and your block rate. It needs to be on a mob that matches your corresponding skills in the trait and your stats though, otherwise it won't be accurate.

I'm sorry that I didn't always look into the exact formulas relating to the exact STR:Attack ratio for my jobs. I was going on fairly basic knowledge; I know that your STR and attack go against the mob's VIT and defense, that 2 STR gives roughly 1 attack on one-handers, and that 4 STR gives roughly 3 attack on two-handers. Regardless, STR merits would still help a PLD with TP and enmity gain, considering that PLD doesn't get a whole lot about a STR to begin with. If 5 STR merits help a PLD not hit for 0 on high VIT/Defense mobs, wouldn't that be far more useful than VIT or AGI merits?

As for the AGI, I stacked on AGI where Shield skill wouldn't fit while skilling up, thanks. I do know that agility does help shield proc, but that doesn't mean that 1 AGI merit is going to be totally game breaking for the small time frame when casting Utsusemi when, as I said, pure shield skill would still be more beneficial.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-08 01:12:21  
Leviathan.Duvessa said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Siren.Jingles said:

Eh? Skills and stats don't have to match to accurately measure an increase.

I'll make this as brief as I can. Your PLD7 argument is stupid because FFXI is far from challenging and no job is so unique that it cannot be understood without having it leveled. Your defense of VIT merits are only exceeded in failure by defense of AGI merits. VIT merits are stupid because you generally /NIN and a decent portion of the damage you take as a result will be magical rather than physical; in addition to this it is exceedingly rare that the VIT merits would have an appreciable impact on the course of a fight whereas yours STR merits will on average increase killspeed anytime you're engaged, be it on PLD or a different job that doesn't make use of VIT merits. If you really understand the damage equations this should be self-explanatory. Your arguments for AGI are foolish for similar reasons; shield doesn't proc behind shadows and if you're depending on shield procs to stay alive you shouldn't be tanking the mob on PLD because eventually it will not proc and you will die.

Edited for clarity.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-08 01:13:19  
Siren.Eclipsys said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

My definition of a "scrub" is someone who does not have enough experience in a game (honestly it could apply to almost anything: a scrub at guitar playing, a scrub at swimming, a scrub at birdwatching, etc.) In this case, scrub means "noob". Luck has nothing to do with how experienced you are in a game.

Generally the term scrub means someone who lacks skill, not someone new and inexperienced.

Though I suppose the meaning may flip in various places, and seeing as you're from Norway I know all of the competitive teams have gigantic E-peen issues, so people from that nation would most likely have this rub off on them.

Anyways, goodnight.
 Siren.Eclipsys
By Siren.Eclipsys 2010-05-08 01:13:32  
Leviathan.Duvessa said:
Direct Competition = PVP like he's said many times...

This guy is dense... are they all that thick on siren?

Since when was I talking to you about competition? People who are too pussy to even show how experienced or inexperienced at a game should have no opinion because the moment you withhold that information is the moment your opinion doesn't matter. Once again, you don't know what you're talking about.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-08 01:14:30  
I'm looking forward to when the level 99 update comes out and knocks all the math on its head for a few months personally.

You're going to see some odd gear choices I'd wager.

And as an after thought, I'm not trying to argue, simply debate... so yeah lol.
 Siren.Eclipsys
By Siren.Eclipsys 2010-05-08 01:14:52  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
I'm looking forward to when the level 99 update comes out and knocks all the math on its head for a few months personally.

You're going to see some odd gear choices I'd wager.

Yap. I'm interested too. '.'
 Siren.Jingles
user: Jingles
By Siren.Jingles 2010-05-08 01:17:11  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
I'll make this as brief as I can. Your PLD7 argument is stupid because FFXI is far from challenging and no job is so unique that it cannot be understood without having it leveled. Your arguments for VIT merits are only exceeded in failure by arguments for AGI merits. VIT merits are stupid because you generally /NIN and a decent portion of the damage you take as a result will be magical rather than physical; in addition to this it is exceedingly rare that the VIT merits would have an appreciable impact on the course of a fight whereas yours STR merits will on average increase killspeed anytime you're engaged, be it on PLD or a different job that doesn't make use of VIT merits. Your arguments for AGI are foolish for similar reasons; shield doesn't proc behind shadows and if you're depending on shield procs to stay alive you shouldn't be tanking the mob on PLD because eventually it will not proc and you will die.

Thank you, I suppose my wording is not as convincing as yours. Perhaps they'll take what you say to heart, even though I'm fairly certain we're saying the exact same thing.

Regardless, <3
 Leviathan.Duvessa
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-08 01:19:00  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
shield doesn't proc behind shadows and if you're depending on shield procs to stay alive you shouldn't be tanking the mob on PLD because eventually it will not proc and you will die.

But what does? Oh yea... Evasion and Parry. Granted neither is good to rely on (Especially on PLD), they help when you get them. Think a little more next time.

Oh, and i guess you've never heard of curing for hate. PLD's do that all the time bud. And guess what raises cure potency on a target? Oh yea... It's that one VIT stat. That's the one!
Not to mention all of the attacks that go through shadows like Dasva mentioned, and the fact even pld/nin's still do get hit.

And to Eclipsys:
Luck = Gear; You get lucky on a lot, you win the gear. You have to first get lucky on the drop, though.
Scrub = Noob; You called me a scrub for not showing my gear, cuz you assume its bad. This is your definition... Then you said luck doesn't = scrubishness...

Luck = Gear...
Scrub = Noob with no gear...

But scrub doesnt = luck?
You gotta be lucky to get the gear.
 Sylph.Vincentius
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Vincentius 2010-05-08 01:19:25  
Leviathan.Duvessa said:
Sylph.Vincentius said:
Duvessa, stop defending mediocrity. In 2010, unless they started in 2009, nobody is a single job player anymore.

And based off their gear I'd say they did not start in 2009. It's POSSIBLE, but unlikely. Nobody helps you anymore on FFXI complete COP and such :P

Actually, I helped my roommates complete CoP within 6 months of them starting the game. We got plenty of people in pickup shouts. People do still help, maybe your attitude would stop some from assisting you?

Next, I know they're only a 75 PLD. And only someone who started in about late 2008 to 2009 would have the lack of information that the OP has. They even have a Sattva Ring. Sure, they're dedicated. If they level ONE melee job though, those merits are worthless. It's still defending mediocrity, and I'd say you should stop, but from what I can tell you're pretty dead set on beating this horse down to the point where it becomes a paste.
 Leviathan.Duvessa
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-08 01:22:45  
Sylph.Vincentius said:
Leviathan.Duvessa said:
Sylph.Vincentius said:

Actually, I helped my roommates complete CoP within 6 months of them starting the game. We got plenty of people in pickup shouts. People do still help, maybe your attitude would stop some from assisting you?

Next, I know they're only a 75 PLD. And only someone who started in about late 2008 to 2009 would have the lack of information that the OP has. They even have a Sattva Ring. Sure, they're dedicated. If they level ONE melee job though, those merits are worthless. It's still defending mediocrity, and I'd say you should stop, but from what I can tell you're pretty dead set on beating this horse down to the point where it becomes a paste.

Only until the most idiotic of elitists which are present here realize they are wrong. I myself have max int merits... But I have melee jobs too, not just blm and rdm. I chose to merit myself this way because I prefer to play BLM. Putting 2 points into str instead of 1 point into agi and 1 point into vit is the way the OP decided to go. I'm not defending their choices i'm defending their right to make the said choices.

Edit: To vincent:
Your roomateS (the s making that word plural). Thus you already had presumably most of the group required. The vast majority of FFXI players have only a couple of people every willing to help them with anything nowdays.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-08 01:22:53  
Leviathan.Duvessa said:
But what does? Oh yea... Evasion and Parry. Granted neither is good to rely on (Especially on PLD), they help when you get them. Think a little more next time.
PLD doesn't evade, parry tanking goes back to the argument I made concerning shield. If you're depending on a random low-probability defensive proc to stay alive you are *** in the butt. It's a bonus, not your sole survival tool. Evasion is an exception (for non-PLD jobs) when stacked due to the high potential evade rate and the fact that it's extending your ability to blink tank, which is a reliable method of damage mitigation along with PDT and MDT.

Shield pushes the effective threshold, but given that it's neither strong enough to be reliable nor completely mitigates damage it is not sufficient on its own.
Quote:
Oh, and i guess you've never heard of curing for hate. PLD's do that all the time bud. And guess what raises cure potency on a target? Oh yea... It's that one VIT stat. That's the one!
I guess you've never heard of the soft cap on cures 1-4?
Quote:
Not to mention all of the attacks that go through shadows like Dasva mentioned, and the fact even pld/nin's still do get hit.
Already covered both of these points.
[+]
 Siren.Eclipsys
By Siren.Eclipsys 2010-05-08 01:23:51  
Leviathan.Duvessa said:
And to Eclipsys:
Luck = Gear; You get lucky on a lot, you win the gear. You have to first get lucky on the drop, though.
Scrub = Noob; You called me a scrub for not showing my gear, cuz you assume its bad. This is your definition... Then you said luck doesn't = scrubishness...

Luck = Gear...

But scrub doesnt = luck?

You're making some bold assumptions. I'm not calling shitty gear scrubby although that is a part of the definition. No, a scrub is someone who hasn't completed something such as CoP, knows how the game works, and also knows what they are doing with particular gear sets and such. Is it lucky to get an item off the Auction House? Truly. Don't give me this "Well you have to be lucky to get it first" ***. We all know that. Is it lucky to go up to an AH and purchase a Haubergeon?
 Leviathan.Duvessa
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-08 01:26:03  
Siren.Eclipsys said:
Leviathan.Duvessa said:
And to Eclipsys:

Luck = Gear...

But scrub doesnt = luck?

You're making some bold assumptions. I'm not calling shitty gear scrubby although that is a part of the definition. No, a scrub is someone who hasn't completed something such as CoP, knows how the game works, and also knows what they are doing with particular gear sets and such. Is it lucky to get an item off the Auction House? Truly. Don't give me this "Well you have to be lucky to get it first" ***. We all know that. Is it lucky to go up to an AH and purchase a Haubergeon?

You have to be lucky to get the drops or make the HQ synths that netted you the gil to buy the better gear, yes. All RPG's are always luck based. The combat system... The craft system... Every aspect has heavy luck elements in any RPG.

And Nightfyre... 2 str merits add 0 survivability to a pld. 1 vit and 1 agi add an infinite amount of survivability beyond that which is provided by 2 str. There is always, in every situation against every monster a base evasion rate. Accuracy is never 100%... Even a PLD has a chance to still evade or parry any monster out there that they will be fighting. So yes... Evasion and parry do make a difference. They make a whole lot more difference than 2 str ever will.
 Sylph.Vincentius
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Vincentius 2010-05-08 01:26:25  
That's not how you've worded it previously. Sure, they've got the right. That's fine. It's still craptacular.

And INT merits for BLM/RDM do a lot more than VIT/AGI merits will for a paladin. You can't deny that. I view it as wasted merit points, but that's only my right to express my opinion. Doesn't mean much, amirite?

Also, you're going to change nobody's mind here. I'll just warn you now. And Elitist? Ha. This isn't BG honey, you haven't seen elitist. This is pretty mediocre, and a typical debate for this website. You'll accomplish nothing. Just give it up.

And in regards to the CoP thing:

Sure, we had 3 people. I also have friends in game, which unless someone's a complete tool they'll have too... And we also 5-manned everything we could. When we needed 6, we got 6. When people weren't on to assist, I shouted. We still got people. Different servers, I know... But there's always someone who will assist even if you have to offer a small reward.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-08 01:26:44  
Still need last path of CoP

orz
[+]
 Siren.Eclipsys
By Siren.Eclipsys 2010-05-08 01:29:54  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Still need last path of CoP

orz
Yap.
Leviathan.Duvessa said:
You have to be lucky to get the drops or make the HQ synths that netted you the gil to buy the better gear, yes. All RPG's are always luck based. The combat system... The craft system... Every aspect has heavy luck elements in any RPG.

I should start flipping a coin for each thing that happens on this game then. Obviously that's more reliable than this game's engine.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8