Fast Cast Gear
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-08 01:29:59  
Leviathan.Duvessa said:
And Nightfyre... 2 str merits add 0 survivability to a pld. 1 vit and 1 agi add an infinite amount of survivability beyond that which is provided by 2 str.
I already dealt with this point, but I'll say it again. How often will those merits make or break you as a tank? Almost never. 99.9% of the time they'll make no difference as to the outcome of the fight; you either survive or you die. The margin by which you die would have to be exceedingly small and you would have to get an fSTR tier (chance lowered by another 75%!) for the 1 VIT to matter and you're talking fractions of fractions on the AGI. Since they have essentially no effect, the smart thing to do is put merits into something functional, such as killing faster. STR lets you do just that.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
サーバ: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-05-08 01:30:38  
Quote:
2 str merits add 0 survivability to a pld. 1 vit and 1 agi add an infinite amount of survivability beyond that which is provided by 2 str.

I wouldn't say that 2 str adds 0 survivability since a mob dead MARGINALLY faster adds to your survivability!

Honestly no stat is going to help you much in the long run on PLD - which is why it's inefficient to merit a stat FOR PLD (though if you did, STR is the one to choose. Or DEX)!

Also I like Duvessa posting because of the avatar. Continue!
[+]
 Sylph.Vincentius
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Vincentius 2010-05-08 01:31:51  
Ooh, I like this one...

"2 str merits add 0 survivability to a pld."

This is going out on a limb, but for the lulz....

What if said paladin was tanking something extremely high level, and those two STR merits actually allowed them to break into where they would stop hitting for 0's so they could actually get off more Atonements to help keep hate?

Sure, it's a nonsensical situation, but about as much as adding 1VIT/1AGI will assist in their block/parry rate against anything that matters.
 Sylph.Vincentius
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Vincentius 2010-05-08 01:33:38  
And I'd like to once again laugh at Duv's attempt to change people's minds here.

It's only going to get worse the more it drags on.
 Leviathan.Duvessa
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Veronika
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-08 01:33:47  
Siren.Eclipsys said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Still need last path of CoP

orz
Yap.
Leviathan.Duvessa said:
You have to be lucky to get the drops or make the HQ synths that netted you the gil to buy the better gear, yes. All RPG's are always luck based. The combat system... The craft system... Every aspect has heavy luck elements in any RPG.

I should start flipping a coin for each thing that happens on this game then. Obviously that's more reliable than this game's engine.

Do you understand game mechanics at all? When you swing, a "dice" is rolled to decide if you hit. If you do hit, then another dice is rolled to determine if you crit. Another dice is then rolled to decide which number in your damage range you hit for... Same for when something swings at you.
There is also the dice rolled for evasion check... the dice rolled for shield check... the device rolled for parry check, guard check, etc etc etc.

Crafting also is a series of dice rolls... Will you succeed? Will you HQ? Will you skill up? And if you fail, which items will you lose?

Drops are rolls... Basically, every action in an RPG is based off of these rolls.
 Leviathan.Duvessa
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-08 01:36:56  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
The margin by which you die would have to be exceedingly small and you would have to get an fSTR tier (chance lowered by another 75%!) for the 1 VIT to matter and you're talking fractions of fractions on the AGI. Since they have essentially no effect, the smart thing to do is put merits into something functional, such as killing faster. STR lets you do just that.

Double sided knife there. For that str to matter it is the exact same formula in reverse as it is for VIT. Honestly, do you think of these things before you post? You indirectly state the counterargument that disproves your point.
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2010-05-08 01:37:18  
I like how you all avoid the obvious.

Nightfyre your point about the agi or vit meaning next to nothing during a fight was on the right tack, but then you talk about putting merits into something functional, such as str so the pld can kill faster ...

If we're gonna look at the grand scheme of things their choice to merit agi, vit, or str doesn't matter, because picking any stat to merit was a dumb choice to begin with.

Look at their merits people, I see a lot of areas to improve outside of the very small increase they'd see from any stat (even if they maxed it at 5).

tl;dr
Picking agi or vit over str wasn't stupid

Picking any stat over all the other places you could have spent those points was stupid.
 Leviathan.Duvessa
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-08 01:39:26  
Ragnarok.Blindphleb said:
tl;dr

Picking any stat over all the other places you could have spent those points was stupid.

I agree with this. But stating that STR is better for a PLD-only player than VIT or AGI is pretty stupid, and I won't let them bash some random PLD for doing so, like they did.
 Siren.Eclipsys
サーバ: Siren
user: Eclipsys
By Siren.Eclipsys 2010-05-08 01:39:49  
Hitting a mob in the game is based on your DEX and Accuracy. Based against a mob's AGI and Evasion. Why am I explaining this? B/c you don't know the mechanics.

I'm not even talking about making the NQ and HQ items. I'm talking about going up to the AH and buying the item. Is that luck? No. If something like a Haubergeon +1 is not up then it is no surprise b/c it is not completely common due to the chance of HQ and no guarantee. You're creating a Humean universe out of something that is not inherently Humean. It has luck and chance as a key factor, you bet. But it is by no means completely ruled by chance. All you're doing is digging yourself into a hole. Just stop.
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-05-08 01:40:52  
Objectively speaking, the best stat to merit is probably INT. In reality the difference is soooo tiny.
 Leviathan.Duvessa
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-08 01:41:47  
Siren.Eclipsys said:
Hitting a mob in the game is based on your DEX and Accuracy. Based against a mob's AGI and Evasion. Why am I explaining this? B/c you don't know the mechanics.

Quoted for the fact you just made every argument you have used void... Because you're so dumb that you don't understand that each of these actions are still chance.

Accuracy adds to your chance to roll a successful hit. It doesnt prevent you from rolling. It doesnt prevent your possibility of missing, it simply lessens the chance by providing a larger roll number on the dice that will result in a hit. You will never reach 100% accuracy, ever.
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-08 01:42:22  
Siren.Eclipsys said:

I'm not even talking about making the NQ and HQ items. I'm talking about going up to the AH and buying the item. Is that luck? No. If something like a Haubergeon 1 is not up then it is no surprise b/c it is not completely common due to the chance of HQ and no guarantee. You're creating a Humean universe out of something that is not inherently Humean. It has luck and chance as a key factor, you bet. But it is by no means completely ruled by chance. All you're doing is digging yourself into a hole. Just stop.

You've got to remember you still have a 5% chance to miss though at 95% acc. There is still a dice rolled.
 Siren.Mcclane
user: mcclane
By Siren.Mcclane 2010-05-08 01:43:48  
After reading 5 pages of this, I think it's safe to say that fast cast helps paladin, ya?
[+]
 Siren.Jingles
user: Jingles
By Siren.Jingles 2010-05-08 01:43:57  

This is 100% true, but I think by this time, everyone has forgotten about the OP. I was simply pointing out that VIT and AGI merits might lend to the OP's clueless-ness regarding Fast Cast and gear. Everyone jumped all over me, trying to defend an overall worthless choice of merit points. Finishing up her Shield merits, Job merits, and probably her MP merits (since she's an elf) probably would have been a better move.
 Leviathan.Duvessa
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-08 01:44:52  
Also
Siren.Eclipsys said:
I'm not even talking about making the NQ and HQ items. I'm talking about going up to the AH and buying the item. Is that luck? No

As i said... Obtaining the Gil to BUY that item IS based off luck. Unless someone gave you the gil, the method you used to obtain the gil was governed through luck. You got the drop you sold to get the gil... Well, that was a luck based system... you synthed an item you can sell for a profit, also luck... It is all based off of dice rolls.
 Siren.Jingles
user: Jingles
By Siren.Jingles 2010-05-08 01:44:59  
Siren.Mcclane said:
After reading 5 pages of this, I think it's safe to say that fast cast helps paladin, ya?

lol, I love you.
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-05-08 01:45:12  
If 5STR gives you the Attack necessary to overcome 0 damage, they are the best for PLDonry. If not, 5DEX is. 5VIT is approximately a <1% reduction in damage depending on what you are fighting (less in the grand scheme of things since you are not always being hit but you are almost always meleeing). 5AGI is not proven to do anything significant at all, and the other stats won't do much (5INT is arguably on par/more useful than 5VIT though since it reduces magic damage which goes through shadows etc)!
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-08 01:45:50  
<3 you Raen
 Siren.Eclipsys
By Siren.Eclipsys 2010-05-08 01:46:08  
I like how you keep pushing for a Humean world within the game. It's really precious.
 Leviathan.Duvessa
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-08 01:47:18  
Siren.Eclipsys said:
^Verified Scrub. Lack of knowledge.

Reason:
Failed to understand core principle of dice rolls within any and every RPG yet still plays one.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-08 01:48:21  
Duvessa said:
Double sided knife there. For that str to matter it is the exact same formula in reverse as it is for VIT. Honestly, do you think of these things before you post? You indirectly state the counterargument that disproves your point.
2 STR adds 1 attack every time and will also add 1 base damage 50% of the time. 1 VIT or AGI will make the difference between life and death, umm... almost never. No double-sided knife here, just a little bit of logic and rough statistics.
[+]
 Siren.Marth
user: Marth
By Siren.Marth 2010-05-08 01:48:49  
Caitsith.Nonch said:
I notice a lot of PLD's with fastcast gear or augs. Though it clearly says "enhanced fast cast effect" (I would assume meaning enhancing an EXISTING JT), and since PLD's dont have fastcast as a JT, why they would get it? I had a debate with someone in-game trying to convince me to get a fastcast aug. But to me it just didnt make sense that strapping on a bit of fastcast gear would give you the JT. (though I secretly wish SE actaully made something that easy! because I would totally get it.) ****discuss****

Hi! I think this was the original disscusion, you all seem to have lost it. I found it for you! :3
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-05-08 01:49:33  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
<3 you Raen

catonry sry :(
 Siren.Eclipsys
By Siren.Eclipsys 2010-05-08 01:50:20  
Leviathan.Duvessa said:
Siren.Eclipsys said:

You're putting so much emphasis on chance that you make it seem that every action in this game is so unlikely. At least have a better argument than "CHANCE, IT'S ABOUT CHANCE AND DICE ROLLS! CHANCE, CHANCE, CHANCE, CHANCE, CHANCE, CHANCE"

You're opinion is irrelevant until you actually show what you've accomplished something in the game.
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2010-05-08 01:50:58  
To be fair 2STR won't make the difference between life and death either.

If that was true taru would be crafters only ... oh one could wish!
[+]
 Leviathan.Duvessa
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-08 01:51:34  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
2 STR adds 1 attack every time and will also add 1 base damage 50% of the time. 1 VIT or AGI will make the difference between life and death, umm... almost never. No double-sided knife here, just a little bit of logic.

2 VIT = 1 Defense. Removes 1 base damage 50% of the time.

Same effect, reversed. Once again, counterargument made within your post. If a PLD's going to hit a 0, it's a very slim chance (And i mean very) that 2 str will make them hit a 1. It means the mobs VIT and DEF are too high to begin with for the PLD's current state. Adding 2 str almost all of the time will make 0 difference.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-08 01:52:43  
To be fair 2STR won't make the difference between life and death either.

If that was true taru would be crafters only ... oh one could wish!
Never argued that it did, only that it was preferable to VIT or AGI merits given that they will actually have a consistent impact (generally killing faster) as opposed to a very rare one (barely saving your ***).
 Leviathan.Duvessa
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-08 01:53:05  
Siren.Eclipsys said:
Leviathan.Duvessa said:
Siren.Eclipsys said:

You're putting so much emphasis on chance that you make it seem that every action in this game is so unlikely. At least have a better argument than "CHANCE, IT'S ABOUT CHANCE AND DICE ROLLS! CHANCE, CHANCE, CHANCE, CHANCE, CHANCE, CHANCE"

You're opinion is irrelevant until you actually show what you've accomplished something in the game.

You should stop talking now... You're only making yourself look like a bigger idiot.

Sincerely,
A concerned citizen.

P.S.
Hehe, I'm Vietnamese and my English is still a lot better than this idiot.
 Asura.Donomar
サーバ: Asura
user: Donomar
By Asura.Donomar 2010-05-08 01:54:37  
Seriously Derailed. Loving it.
 Siren.Eclipsys
By Siren.Eclipsys 2010-05-08 01:55:12  
VIT does nothing if you're blink tanking. Btw, is everyone on Leviathan as much of a pussy as you are with showing how much you haven't accomplished or know? Oh wait, they're not. It's just you.

Edit: Implying I give a ***about your grammar.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8