Random Politics & Religion #05

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #05
Random Politics & Religion #05
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 38 39 40
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
サーバ: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-05-13 10:59:43  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Donald Trump evokes the Regan era Pro-America propaganda many of us were raised on. I feel at times this why his support base is drawn to him; whether its conscious or subconscious.

Make America Great Again, it's an intriguing slogan. Does it evoke 1950's post war boom America or the 1980's Team America? It's probably a different message based on age.

Imagine if 2016 Trump ran in 1988, H.W. and Dukakis wouldn't have prayer.
What about "Hope and Change"?

Remember that propaganda?

Do you remember the Do Nothing Congress that said "*** that noise"?
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
サーバ: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2016-05-13 11:02:40  
We need a canadian wall too.
[+]
 Siren.Akson
user: AKs0n
By Siren.Akson 2016-05-13 11:06:30  
Bloodrose said: »
Siren.Akson said: »
I dont see anything wrong with securing borders or making sure there is no 9/11 part2. Other than that honestly... I lose my focus of paying attention. ADHD maybe but none of the rest means much to me. To me those 2 issues, other than the FDA vs E-Cigs, are the only issues in my mind. Rest is whatever
But he's not doing anything to secure the borders. All he's doing is securing your perception of what border security is.

Look at the logistics reports on what it would cost to build a wall as proposed: The materials alone account for more than double his initial "estimate", then there's the issue of manpower, and maintenance. None of which, according to border security reports, have any significant impact on actual border security. Most of the illegals coming through, as mentioned, find a way around the system itself, by coming in through legal channels. The greater number of people coming in illegal do so through passenger FLIGHTS or through refugee claims that aren't screened properly, if at all. Then when they are allowed into the country, the agencies that are supposed to be keeping tabs get lax and lose contact. If anything, trump should be bringing down the hammer on these processes and agencies if he wants to really work on securing the borders. Not banning 2/3rds of the people who want a better life and to live the American Dream, or building a fruitless wall, with a vain attempt to get someone else to pay for it, so he doesn't have to.
Does Bernie stand against the FDA taking away the right for small businesses to exist selling a much healthier product than the Govt backed tobacco? If not then Im not swayed.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-05-13 11:06:57  
Siren.Mosin said: »

We'll get Canada to use that Monopoly money to pay for it.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2016-05-13 11:06:57  
If for nothing more than to keep the Americans fleeing Trump or Hillary from coming north.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2016-05-13 11:09:23  
I dont see anything wrong with securing borders or making sure there is no 9/11 part2. Other than that honestly... I lose my focus of paying attention. ADHD maybe but none of the rest means much to me. To me those 2 issues, other than the FDA vs E-Cigs, are the only issues in my mind. Rest is whatever
But he's not doing anything to secure the borders. All he's doing is securing your perception of what border security is.

Look at the logistics reports on what it would cost to build a wall as proposed: The materials alone account for more than double his initial "estimate", then there's the issue of manpower, and maintenance. None of which, according to border security reports, have any significant impact on actual border security. Most of the illegals coming through, as mentioned, find a way around the system itself, by coming in through legal channels. The greater number of people coming in illegal do so through passenger FLIGHTS or through refugee claims that aren't screened properly, if at all. Then when they are allowed into the country, the agencies that are supposed to be keeping tabs get lax and lose contact. If anything, trump should be bringing down the hammer on these processes and agencies if he wants to really work on securing the borders. Not banning 2/3rds of the people who want a better life and to live the American Dream, or building a fruitless wall, with a vain attempt to get someone else to pay for it, so he doesn't have to.
Does Bernie stand against the FDA taking away the right for small businesses to exist selling a much healthier product than the Govt backed tobacco? If not then Im not swayed.
I'm not asking you to sway your opinion or vote. And I for one am for the right to sell flavored vaporizers, but also find a small necessity for them to be at least somewhat regulated.

I'm just asking you to look at the person you're supporting more critically, even if what you find cements your position on voting for him that much more.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2016-05-13 11:10:07  
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »

We'll get Canada to use that Monopoly money to pay for it.
With our plastic monopoly money, we'll buy Lego bricks to make the wall rainbow colored.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-05-13 11:10:51  
It's kindof hard to do anything about securing the borders if you are not president...

Look at the logistics reports on what it would cost to build a wall as proposed: The materials alone account for more than double his initial "estimate", then there's the issue of manpower, and maintenance. None of which, according to border security reports, have any significant impact on actual border security.
Yeah, I think we all agree that the whole "wall" notion is stupid. I believe we all agreed when he first proposed it.

To continue to bring it up, well, it's almost as bad as beating a dead donkey...

At least with horses, it's fun until the smell starts getting bad. Donkeys smell bad to begin with....

Most of the illegals coming through, as mentioned, find a way around the system itself, by coming in through legal channels. The greater number of people coming in illegal do so through passenger FLIGHTS or through refugee claims that aren't screened properly, if at all. Then when they are allowed into the country, the agencies that are supposed to be keeping tabs get lax and lose contact.
I don't know. I think a significant number of illegal immigrants are coming past the border by walking, swimming (in case of Texas), or more dangerously, by Coyotes (which are the literal scum of the earth).

If anything, trump should be bringing down the hammer on these processes and agencies if he wants to really work on securing the borders.
If anyone was actually smart about it. What's Obama's excuse, he had almost 8 years to fix this problem...
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-05-13 11:13:34  
Net Immigration to the US from Mexico was already trending down and Obama has sent more people home via deportation than any other POTUS.

Why would we spend trillions on a wall again? So drug dealers can build submarines and smuggle in people for cash too? Or maybe they'll tape immigrants to drones and fly 'em in.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-05-13 11:16:12  

Don't take my Canada Day fireworks away! It would be a tough feat given all bridges to Canada.

Which brings to mind a sequence of events that could happen with a Trump presidency.

Trump builds a wall along the northern border of Mexico and makes Mexico pay for it.

Mexico then builds a tunnel to America and makes America pay for it.

but they already have tunnels to America
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-05-13 11:18:41  
There always remains the chance that a Trump presidency could be more of the same bullcrap that we've faced for decades. Here's the thing, though. The establishment's two-party, pick-the-lesser-of-two-evils-that-we've-carefully-selected-for-you mindset is killing this nation. There are Washington and Lincoln-quality people in the U.S. who will never get the spotlight because the system will not allow it.

I know I'm sounding like a conspiracy theorist, but imo it really has more to do with money and sociology than some grand shadow government conspiracy. But what choice now do we have to get away from it? Because right now we're at a crossroads between an egotistical loudmouth with no filter and crazy ideas, and a morally bankrupt, mega-pandering "Chosen One" that is guaranteed to leave us in the hole we've dug ourselves.

Trumps entire allure is that in spite of himself he's the only one who offers even a remote chance of getting change that will change the way the game is played. Democrats had the chance for the same thing and failed. What they fail to realize now is that no matter what they say about Donald Trump, they can never take away the fact that what they've offered in return is a guaranteed change of nothing. Absolutely nothing. "Change" is what so many of us want, and looking back at 2008 I figured by now that the majority of Democrats would actually be on board with that, but their primaries say "no".
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-05-13 11:18:54  
Donald Trump evokes the Regan era Pro-America propaganda many of us were raised on. I feel at times this why his support base is drawn to him; whether its conscious or subconscious.

Make America Great Again, it's an intriguing slogan. Does it evoke 1950's post war boom America or the 1980's Team America? It's probably a different message based on age.

Imagine if 2016 Trump ran in 1988, H.W. and Dukakis wouldn't have prayer.
What about "Hope and Change"?

Remember that propaganda?

Do you remember the Do Nothing Congress that said "*** that noise"?
Which Congress? The only one that was considered that was 2008-2010, which is when Congress had a democrat/liberal super-majority.

Sure, you will probably attribute that movement to 2010 onward, but in reality, that movement started when Obama was elected, also when his party had the supermajority.
[+]
 Siren.Akson
user: AKs0n
By Siren.Akson 2016-05-13 11:19:29  
but they already have tunnels to America
unreal. Whatever is done. Something has got to give.
By Ramyrez 2016-05-13 11:19:33  
I'm not asking you to sway your opinion or vote. And I for one am for the right to sell flavored vaporizers, but also find a small necessity for them to be at least somewhat regulated.

If nothing else it's interesting to see what some people consider hotbutton issues.

I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the vaping fad being a thing that anyone considers vital to public*** policy.

***almost just made an awesome typo in which we would have been discussing people's policy on personal grooming.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-05-13 11:19:46  
Also I was promised that Obama would DESTROY America, yet here I am in an America where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Sounds like Obama did a damn fine job of maintaining status quo.

Also, his wife (who has been a class act as FLOTUS) dared to challenge children to eat better and exercise. How dare she exercise and play sports and stay in shape? HOW DARE SHE.

- Chris Christie
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-05-13 11:21:41  
Also I was promised that Obama would DESTROY America, yet here I am in an America where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Sounds like Obama did a damn fine job of maintaining status quo.
Are you giving him a pass at his "Hope and Change" rhetoric?
[+]
By Bloodrose 2016-05-13 11:22:45  
Quote:

Look at the logistics reports on what it would cost to build a wall as proposed: The materials alone account for more than double his initial "estimate", then there's the issue of manpower, and maintenance. None of which, according to border security reports, have any significant impact on actual border security.
Yeah, I think we all agree that the whole "wall" notion is stupid. I believe we all agreed when he first proposed it.

To continue to bring it up, well, it's almost as bad as beating a dead donkey...

At least with horses, it's fun until the smell starts getting bad. Donkeys smell bad to begin with....

The biggest reason this part keeps getting brought up at all, and so often is because it's quite literally the number one reason so many people are supportive of trump: he's pandering to their fear and perception of border security. And as stupid as it is to those who think logically and logistically, it's something people *can* and *will* support without having to think about everything involved, because they perceive to be an effective means of border security.

Quote:

If anything, trump should be bringing down the hammer on these processes and agencies if he wants to really work on securing the borders.
If anyone was actually smart about it. What's Obama's excuse, he had almost 8 years to fix this problem...

The same can be applied to Bush. He had ample time to correct it as well, but it was defended as political suicide for him to even attempt to crack down on these agencies before and after 9/11, despite all these security flaws happening during his time as president. The notion that it's political suicide hasn't changed, even with all the criticism security agencies face from both sides - namely Government crackdowns, and customer complaints despite demanding increased security. They are in a position of Damned if you do, damned if you don't. It becomes a fiscal nightmare to find anything resembling a balance to implement.

Frankly, even if a republican/conservative president had to deal with this shitstorm, even if I were against them as being nominated, much less voted in for president, I would still say the same thing... oh wait, I just did with Bush.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-05-13 11:23:27  
Stop posting like Josi! Gawd, I thought you were better than that BR!
By Ramyrez 2016-05-13 11:23:35  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Absolutely nothing. "Change" is what so many of us want, and looking back at 2008 I figured by now that the majority of Democrats would actually be on board with that, but their primaries say "no".

I too find this troubling.

But what do you want people to get on board with?

Trump?

Just...no. We've gone on at length about this douchebag. He's just...gross. If he's the kind of person people want representing us on a world stage, it's confirmation of practically every negative stereotype around the world about Americans than many of us resent.

He's a caricature of this country. He's a walking political cartoon.

Bernie was the right answer, but too many pandermonkies have bought Hillary's rubbish to augment the corporate support she was always going to have.
By Ramyrez 2016-05-13 11:25:36  

Except that was the goal. It wasn't just rhetoric. He was hope for change.

That hope died. But that's not really the same thing as an ambiguous "make American great again" when he's not even defining when it was great, thereby giving us a frame of reference.

He could mean slavery, ffs. We're all pretty *** certain (okay, like 98% certain) that's not what he means.

But...what? What does that mean?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-05-13 11:26:01  
The Sanders-Clinton race would be much more honest if 1. a bunch of people weren't locked out of primaries 2. the supadupadelegates system wasn't in place(cause I totally trust they aren't bought).

By all means maybe she'd still be the winner, but pardon my skepticism.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-05-13 11:27:02  
The biggest reason this part keeps getting brought up at all, and so often is because it's quite literally the number one reason so many people are supportive of trump: he's pandering to their fear and perception of border security. And as stupid as it is to those who think logically and logistically, it's something people *can* and *will* support without having to think about everything involved, because they perceive to be an effective means of border security.
The whole notion of a wall is to show how broken our immigration system is.

Will there be a physical wall built? 98% sure it won't.

Will there be actual change to immigration laws and procedures when Trump is elected? 98% sure it will. Will it do anything constructive? Depends on what changes are made. But 98% sure it won't be good for people or the economy.

The same can be applied to Bush. He had ample time to correct it as well, but it was defended as political suicide for him to even attempt to crack down on these agencies before and after 9/11, despite all these security flaws happening during his time as president. The notion that it's political suicide hasn't changed, even with all the criticism security agencies face from both sides - namely Government crackdowns, and customer complaints despite demanding increased security. They are in a position of Damned if you do, damned if you don't. It becomes a fiscal nightmare to find anything resembling a balance to implement.

Frankly, even if a republican/conservative president had to deal with this shitstorm, even if I were against them as being nominated, much less voted in for president, I would still say the same thing... oh wait, I just did with Bush.
Same could be said for Clinton, Bush I, Reagan, Carter, etc.

But we still have this problem, it's been going on for decades, and nobody is doing anything to fix it.

At least with Trump, he is acknowledging the issue.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-05-13 11:27:38  

I'm giving him a he settled into the position and delivered status quo which has result in a pretty acceptable two terms as POTUS, despite the best efforts of a Congress worse than lice. No left-wing nightmare unless you're a social conservative in which you can go punch rocks. Did you expect a utopia?

The economy isn't doomed, profits are moving where they ought go (ha) and he didn't as promised break the country.

Again, the problem in the US right now is the common man doesn't see a place for him/herself because both wings of the party are married to rich, corporate interests who couldn't give a ***about the middle class or anything below it.

Donald Trump certainly doesn't. Remember, im rich, im sucessful, small loans of a million dollars.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
サーバ: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-05-13 11:28:19  
A supermajority doesn't mean anything if you dont have 60 votes in the Senate. The only thing you can do is pass a budget through reconciliation, everything else requires 60 votes. The GOP has not had any interest in securing the border in 8 years, they sued to establish only they could do it, they won, and they have done nothing.
By Bloodrose 2016-05-13 11:30:03  
There always remains the chance that a Trump presidency could be more of the same bullcrap that we've faced for decades. Here's the thing, though. The establishment's two-party, pick-the-lesser-of-two-evils-that-we've-carefully-selected-for-you mindset is killing this nation. There are Washington and Lincoln-quality people in the U.S. who will never get the spotlight because the system will not allow it.

I know I'm sounding like a conspiracy theorist, but imo it really has more to do with money and sociology than some grand shadow government conspiracy. But what choice now do we have to get away from it? Because right now we're at a crossroads between an egotistical loudmouth with no filter and crazy ideas, and a morally bankrupt, mega-pandering "Chosen One" that is guaranteed to leave us in the hole we've dug ourselves.

Trumps entire allure is that in spite of himself he's the only one who offers even a remote chance of getting change that will change the way the game is played. Democrats had the chance for the same thing and failed. What they fail to realize now is that no matter what they say about Donald Trump, they can never take away the fact that what they've offered in return is a guaranteed change of nothing. Absolutely nothing. "Change" is what so many of us want, and looking back at 2008 I figured by now that the majority of Democrats would actually be on board with that, but their primaries say "no".
While I agree wholeheartedly with the majority of your post, one thing to add, is that everyone views "change" much differently than the person next to them. What you may consider positive change, another could just as easily infer as "takin' away muh freedom (dogs)!"

So, before lumping all the liberals/democrats together, there are those in the conservative camp that also want to see hope and change - just what they perceive it to be. And this applies to both sides, that not everything done in the name of moving forward in the name of change, will always be seen as positive at the time, or even in the future.

And here's the thing: The people are making the choice. We don't have to like it, we don't have to respect it. But damn it, we should be the wheels of change we desire to see. The only thing the people can really do, is 1 of two things: keep The status quo (not just a liberal issue), or becoming more politically involved, including researching the platforms of ALL candidates, not just the ones they want to press the like button a zillion times for on facebook or twitter.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-05-13 11:30:41  

Trump as President isn't about what he will or won't do, the President's domestic powers are very limited, on purpose. The real effect of a Trump election is the wave of no-confidence it'll set off in both parties leaderships. The Democrats would of failed to beat him, and twice failed to get their "chosen one" elected. Remember Obama was supposed to lose to Hillary the first time around but his raw Charisma carried him though. For the Republicans it will mean their party failed entirely to control the election process and lost to Trump.

In both cases the effect should be a cracking of the relationship between the power brokers that control the election and the politicians who sell their allegiance to them. After all what good is it to sell your allegiance to someone who can't follow through on those promises.
By Jetackuu 2016-05-13 11:31:30  
Drama Torama said: »
Are we sure 7/11 isn't the real terror threat?

Let's be honest, it's probably killed a lot more than three thousand Americans

As a former employee, you ain't kidding.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-05-13 11:32:09  
Ramyrez said: »
Absolutely nothing. "Change" is what so many of us want, and looking back at 2008 I figured by now that the majority of Democrats would actually be on board with that, but their primaries say "no".

I too find this troubling.

But what do you want people to get on board with?

Trump?

Just...no. We've gone on at length about this douchebag. He's just...gross. If he's the kind of person people want representing us on a world stage, it's confirmation of practically every negative stereotype around the world about Americans than many of us resent.

He's a caricature of this country. He's a walking political cartoon.

Bernie was the right answer, but too many pandermonkies have bought Hillary's rubbish to augment the corporate support she was always going to have.

I don't even know what I want people to get on board with. There is nothing good about the upcoming 2016 general election. My anti-establishment attitude that has been growing exponentially since the turn of the millennium has me leaning Trump, but I'm afraid that no matter who we end up with we're going to end up in a seriously bad situation before we as a nation finally end this nonsense and bring in some decent people to lead us for once.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2016-05-13 11:32:27  
I still don't know how somebody could consume a "taquito."

By Bloodrose 2016-05-13 11:37:02  
The whole notion of a wall is to show how broken our immigration system is.

Will there be a physical wall built? 98% sure it won't.

Will there be actual change to immigration laws and procedures when Trump is elected? 98% sure it will. Will it do anything constructive? Depends on what changes are made. But 98% sure it won't be good for people or the economy.

Same could be said for Clinton, Bush I, Reagan, Carter, etc.

But we still have this problem, it's been going on for decades, and nobody is doing anything to fix it.

At least with Trump, he is acknowledging the issue.
Which is one of the few reasons he's good for the election process, because he's forcing the other candidates to talk about issues they'd much rather ignore for the ones they can make "easy promises" on, and then blame the other side for their failure to deliver.. But as a candidate, he's absolutely terrible.

Also, I haven't really posted or had to quote anyone, so I got lazy and forgot to quote things the right way >.>;
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 38 39 40