サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-24 09:33:07  
Unicorn.Nymphadora said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Ramuh.Sagittario said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Ramuh.Sagittario said:
Well I suppose the saying "No honor among thieves" lives up to it's meaning. Personally, I wish people had a little more respect and honesty for each other when it comes to stuff like this, if you want to make gil, be a man about it and go and put the work in.
Oh I do, that 1mil was only pocket change. And calling me a thief is an inaccurate description. I didn't steal from him, he willingly gave me the money and I chose not to give it back. I'm not a charity.

This is exactly what I was talking about, you hide behind the 'he gave it to me' card instead of having a shred of substance about you and giving it back.

He did not "willingly" give you that money at all, if that was the case he would give it to you as a gift not a slip of the mouse button or w/e. Just because he hit the button does not make it ok, you are still thieving from said player, just indirectly. Your obviously a man of no morals that likes to prey on the unfortunate...

He did "Willingly" give it to me, he clicked the mouse. I didn't force him to do that. It was his own prerogative to buy my item for such a high price. It's not my place to pay for the mistakes of others.

In criminal law, theft is the illegal taking of another person's property without that person's freely-given consent.

As soon as he bought the item for that price he gave his consent, therefore It's not classes as stealing. If there was a case they would make it an action that I could get GM'd for. Clearly all mistakes are on the players head, and it's my prerogative to do what I want with money that is given to me.

I've actually seen lag so bad a time or two that I've hit the wrong buttons and clicked the wrong things in my menu, and even once bought the wrong thing off ah. Luckily, it was something teeny-tiny so I didn't bug out over it, but does that still give them consent to do whatever with my gil if I were to kindly ask for it back?

Yes, the money parted hands and now belongs to the player who received it.
 Ramuh.Sagittario
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2010-08-24 09:34:36  
It's not classed as thievery because the culprit can hide behind technicalities, but it is pure dishonesty and shows you cannot be trusted.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-24 09:35:27  
Ramuh.Sagittario said:
Your argument is sound, but you know as well as I do that you are an *** for doing it.

I don't understand how you can have such a clear conscience from upsetting people who in all likelyhood done nothing to deserve it, you can be a coward and hide behind your excuses or you can have some balls and return the gil to them, put a smile on the face of whoever made the mistake and just be a goddam nice person. At the end of the day your destroying the hard work of other people and that's one extra person who will be trying to screw you over any way they can in future.

I see it as a learning experience, he'll/she'll be more careful in the future if they know there is a chance people won't simply give them gil back.
[+]
 Fairy.Spence
サーバ: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2010-08-24 09:36:48  
It's often the little insignificant things that maintain my faith in people. Giving someone their gil back is a tiny gesture that can make someone feel better, not to mention I feel good about myself for doing it too.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-24 09:37:02  
Ramuh.Sagittario said:
It's not classed as thievery because the culprit can hide behind technicalities, but it is pure dishonesty and shows you cannot be trusted.

I'm a ***, I've never claimed anything different. You were the one playing the 'thief' trombone.
 Ramuh.Sagittario
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2010-08-24 09:37:55  
Fairy.Spence said:
It's often the little insignificant things that maintain my faith in people. Giving someone their gil back is a tiny gesture that can make someone feel better, not to mention I feel good about myself for doing it too.

Yes! Yes this is what I'm getting at!

The Canadian speaks wisdom.

Shame the bagged milk cancels it out >_>
 Unicorn.Nymphadora
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Nympha
By Unicorn.Nymphadora 2010-08-24 09:38:10  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Ramuh.Sagittario said:
Your argument is sound, but you know as well as I do that you are an *** for doing it.

I don't understand how you can have such a clear conscience from upsetting people who in all likelyhood done nothing to deserve it, you can be a coward and hide behind your excuses or you can have some balls and return the gil to them, put a smile on the face of whoever made the mistake and just be a goddam nice person. At the end of the day your destroying the hard work of other people and that's one extra person who will be trying to screw you over any way they can in future.

I see it as a learning experience, he'll/she'll be more careful in the future if they know there is a chance people won't simply give them gil back.

I think someone else has said it before, why not just earn your own gil rather than feeding off of the people in this game who worked hard for theirs?

I normally think you're a pretty cool guy, but right now I'm kinda hoping you find yourself in a similar situation in rl with your rent money.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-24 09:40:48  
Unicorn.Nymphadora said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Ramuh.Sagittario said:

I think someone else has said it before, why not just earn your own gil rather than feeding off of the people in this game who worked hard for theirs?

I normally think you're a pretty cool guy, but right now I'm kinda hoping you find yourself in a similar situation in rl with your rent money.

I do earn my own gil, that doesn't mean I'm going to say no to 1mil.
 Siren.Catabolic
サーバ: Siren
user: Catabolic
By Siren.Catabolic 2010-08-24 09:41:08  
Ramuh.Sagittario said:

If they're a child unwilling to admit that it was their own mistake that cost them what they lost.

I agree with Spence's reasoning but it would definitely depend on how the person handled the situation after I talked to them. Saying it isn't the persons fault who wasn't paying attention when they threw down a million gil+ is laughable.

In the future pay more attention to what you're doing when you use the AH or set up your bazaar. Then you won't whine and cry when someone doesn't give a ***that you *** up.

In the real world this happens. 9/10 business's when you try to return the item would say, "I'm sorry that you made a mistake but, its yours now". Lesson learned...

edit. still pointing out that more than likely I would return it, but to put the person who didn't make a careless mistake on blast for not cleaning up someone else's mess is pretty ridiculous. Take some blame for your own actions instead of expecting everyone out there to "do the right thing"
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-24 09:43:15  
inb4 people calling me a troll for giving my opinion -_-
 Unicorn.Nymphadora
By Unicorn.Nymphadora 2010-08-24 09:50:42  
Siren.Catabolic said:

In the real world this happens. 9/10 business's when you try to return the item would say, "I'm sorry that you made a mistake but, its yours now". Lesson learned...

I'm kinda curious as to what these are actually. Only comparison thats coming to mind right now they would normally refund or exchange the product as long as they got the reciept and the original product back.
[+]
 Fairy.Spence
By Fairy.Spence 2010-08-24 09:52:24  
Unicorn.Nymphadora said:
Siren.Catabolic said:

I'm kinda curious as to what these are actually. Only comparison thats coming to mind right now they would normally refund or exchange the product as long as they got the reciept and the original product back.

I've made mistakes before, selling stuff cheaper than it ought to have been. I'm in business to business stuff though, in which cases I'm SOL. No one ever gives me money back. >.<
 Ramuh.Sagittario
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2010-08-24 09:53:11  
That's enough from you Canada.
 Fairy.Spence
By Fairy.Spence 2010-08-24 09:55:47  
Why are all Scots I meet a giant pain in my *** -.-
[+]
 Ramuh.Sagittario
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2010-08-24 10:01:26  
Fairy.Spence said:
Why are all Scots I meet a giant pain in my *** -.-

Don't make me come over there D: !
 Shiva.Superdan
user: SuperDan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-08-24 10:13:57  
Seriously, don't make him go there. Guy in a skirt with a goat on a lead is a scary sight.
 Bahamut.Eorphere
サーバ: Bahamut
user: eorphere
By Bahamut.Eorphere 2010-08-24 10:24:36  
In one of my Philosophy classes, we were talking about lying. The professor brought up a situation:

You stop by a friend's house who is having a party. You ask him if there is beer. He tells you that there is beer. You walk into the house, but you find no beer anywhere. When you confront him, and appeal to the idea that he lied to you, he lets you know that he did not lie. In fact he offers proof by telling you that there is beer at the store down the street, as well as the brewery a couple towns over. Did he lie? I suppose it depends on your definition. The point of the example in class was to draw out the idea that there are certain social cues or contextual implications that imply certain things outside of technicalities.

Am I saying that keeping the gil was wrong? Not necessarily. Would I have given it back? Yes. Flionheart clearly said that he is a ***. Do I believe that? Not necessarily, and my opinion is really irrelevant anyway.

The point is that there are certain social and contextual implications within the situation. I am not saying that the example given above is to be used as an analogy outside of the idea of contextual implications. The buyer did not "willingly" pay what he paid. He "accidentally" paid what he paid. I can be pretty certain that he was never willing to pay what he did for the item. Sure, he willingly hit the accept or approve button. But this was OBVIOUSLY done thinking that the situation was different.

I am not trying to attack the morality of anyone. Ethics is a very complicated subject, and with so many worldviews, I find it futile to even begin to toss out arguments for morality without beginning at the logic behind said worldviews. All I am saying is that there are certain implications in the situation with the buyer that seem to indicate that he did not mean to purchase what he did for that amount. And really, other than Flionheart suggesting that the buyer "willingly" paid what he did for the item, I can't say I see a flaw in his reasoning. Whether or not I agree is a different story, and would toss me in the middle of something I don't want to be a part of.

Just wanted to include my opinion (for what it is worth) on contextual implications and my opinion on the "willingness" of the buyer. The rest of you can attack the ethics of the situation.
[+]
 Siren.Catabolic
By Siren.Catabolic 2010-08-24 10:36:51  
Unicorn.Nymphadora said:
Siren.Catabolic said:

Try buying a car and return it in a day saying, "I wasn't paying attention and bought the wrong car!" Then be ready for them to point and laugh at you as they say gtfo. Then call the dealership a-holes cause of your mistake lol. Accepting responsibility for ones mistakes is a part of growing up. Expecting everyone else to clean up your messes is a good sign that someone isn't quite grown up yet.
[+]
 Ramuh.Sagittario
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2010-08-24 10:43:04  
Siren.Catabolic said:
Unicorn.Nymphadora said:
Siren.Catabolic said:
Try buying a car and return it in a day saying, "I wasn't paying attention and bought the wrong car!" Then be ready for them to point and laugh at you as they say gtfo. Then call the dealership a-holes cause of your mistake lol. Accepting responsibility for ones mistakes is a part of growing up. Expecting everyone else to clean up your messes is a good sign that someone isn't quite grown up yet.

Yeh because that's totally the same.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-24 10:43:46  
Ramuh.Sagittario said:
Siren.Catabolic said:
Unicorn.Nymphadora said:
Siren.Catabolic said:

It's about as accurate as the wallet comparison.
 Ramuh.Sagittario
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2010-08-24 10:45:25  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Ramuh.Sagittario said:
Siren.Catabolic said:
Unicorn.Nymphadora said:
Siren.Catabolic said:

Um no not quite, the wallet example happens on a frequent basis, this would not happen in a million years.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-24 10:46:44  
Ramuh.Sagittario said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Ramuh.Sagittario said:
Siren.Catabolic said:
Unicorn.Nymphadora said:
Siren.Catabolic said:

Um no not quite, the wallet example happens on a frequent basis, this would not happen in a million years.

I'm sure it has happened, in fact I can guarantee it.
 Unicorn.Nymphadora
By Unicorn.Nymphadora 2010-08-24 10:46:51  
Siren.Catabolic said:
Unicorn.Nymphadora said:
Siren.Catabolic said:

Not a realistic example though. Cars cost enough that people generally do their research and think hard about what they want before purchase/taking out a loan. Not a matter of something you could easily mess up on a technicality.
[+]
 Siren.Catabolic
By Siren.Catabolic 2010-08-24 10:52:28  
Also fyi there is a screen that pops up showing you the amount you bid AND showing you the item you bid on (if selling, screen pops up asking to confirm you want to sell X item for Y amount) asking you if you're sure you want to proceed.

Is it anyone's fault but yourself that you didn't read this screen and just blindly approved the mistake you just made? NO

Would it be nice that someone is willing to clean up after your dumbass and give you the money back? OF COURSE.

Do you have the right to talk ***about them and say they're d-bags if they don't? NOPE. You forfeited that right when you clicked yes on the pop up screen AFTER bidding incorrectly. Be responsible for your actions instead of pointing the finger at others.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Astrida
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: Astrida
By Gilgamesh.Astrida 2010-08-24 10:58:11  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
inb4 people calling me a troll for giving my opinion -_-
i would keep it too, if i didnt know the person. Flionheart > sagittario
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Astrida
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: Astrida
By Gilgamesh.Astrida 2010-08-24 10:58:40  
Siren.Catabolic said:
Also fyi there is a screen that pops up showing you the amount you bid AND showing you the item you bid on (if selling, screen pops up asking to confirm you want to sell X item for Y amount) asking you if you're sure you want to proceed.

Is it anyone's fault but yourself that you didn't read this screen and just blindly approved the mistake you just made? NO

Would it be nice that someone is willing to clean up after your dumbass and give you the money back? OF COURSE.

Do you have the right to talk ***about them and say they're d-bags if they don't? NOPE. You forfeited that right when you clicked yes on the pop up screen AFTER bidding incorrectly. Be responsible for your actions instead of pointing the finger at others.

[+]
 Unicorn.Nymphadora
By Unicorn.Nymphadora 2010-08-24 11:02:30  
Siren.Catabolic said:

Earlier I mentioned a time when I tried to buy something while I was experienceing lag. I clicked on what I wanted to buy, my pc lagged out and selected something else and I didn't see it. So when I confirmed that purchase, I literally thought I was buying what I meant to buy. I'm sure I'm not the only person this has happened to in the 8 years this game has been around. But if your whole argument against my opinion amounts to the fact that I am a "dumb-***" because of that, then I guess I'm finnished here.
[+]
 Siren.Catabolic
By Siren.Catabolic 2010-08-24 11:15:59  
Unicorn.Nymphadora said:
Siren.Catabolic said:

Earlier I mentioned a time when I tried to buy something while I was experienceing lag. I clicked on what I wanted to buy, my pc lagged out and selected something else and I didn't see it. So when I confirmed that purchase, I literally thought I was buying what I meant to buy. I'm sure I'm not the only person this has happened to in the 8 years this game has been around. But if your whole argument against my opinion amounts to the fact that I am a "dumb-***" because of that, then I guess I'm finnished here.

That's the thing though. You still hit "Yes" on a screen that showed you what you bid on and how much you bid for it. People breeze through that screen not even bothering to read it. It's not the sellers or buyers fault that you weren't paying attention TWICE. Which means they have zero moral obligation to pay you back cause it is entirely your fault for not paying attention TWICE. Which makes them that much nicer if they actually do.

Edit. So if you made a mistake or there was lag you still had a SECOND CHANCE to make sure of what you were doing...
[+]
 Ramuh.Sagittario
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2010-08-24 11:18:51  
Siren.Catabolic said:
Also fyi there is a screen that pops up showing you the amount you bid AND showing you the item you bid on (if selling, screen pops up asking to confirm you want to sell X item for Y amount) asking you if you're sure you want to proceed. Is it anyone's fault but yourself that you didn't read this screen and just blindly approved the mistake you just made? NO Would it be nice that someone is willing to clean up after your dumbass and give you the money back? OF COURSE. Do you have the right to talk ***about them and say they're d-bags if they don't? NOPE. You forfeited that right when you clicked yes on the pop up screen AFTER bidding incorrectly. Be responsible for your actions instead of pointing the finger at others.

Thats the third time you have posted the same thing. It does not matter how many precautions are in place to prevent this happening, mistakes will always be made. Is it your mistake? yes. Is it the fault of the person who received the gil? no, but the fact that you are trying to justify capitalising on the mistakes of others instead of actually helping them is pathetic.
[+]
 Siren.Catabolic
By Siren.Catabolic 2010-08-24 11:23:08  
Ramuh.Sagittario said:
Siren.Catabolic said:
Also fyi there is a screen that pops up showing you the amount you bid AND showing you the item you bid on (if selling, screen pops up asking to confirm you want to sell X item for Y amount) asking you if you're sure you want to proceed. Is it anyone's fault but yourself that you didn't read this screen and just blindly approved the mistake you just made? NO Would it be nice that someone is willing to clean up after your dumbass and give you the money back? OF COURSE. Do you have the right to talk ***about them and say they're d-bags if they don't? NOPE. You forfeited that right when you clicked yes on the pop up screen AFTER bidding incorrectly. Be responsible for your actions instead of pointing the finger at others.

Thats the third time you have posted the same thing. It does not matter how many precautions are in place to prevent this happening, mistakes will always be made. Is it your mistake? yes. Is it the fault of the person who received the gil? no, but the fact that you are trying to justify capitalising on the mistakes of others instead of actually helping them is pathetic.

I keep saying it because apparently it isn't sinking in.

In bold again is someone pointing the finger and blame at someone else when they should be pointing the finger and blame at themselves. You have no one to be angry at but yourself. Expecting people to be what you ideally would like them to be is gonna earn you a lifetime of unhappiness.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7