Piracy, Is It Truly Wrong?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Piracy, Is it truly wrong?
Piracy, Is it truly wrong?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
サーバ: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-24 07:25:31  
They were really irritating when they had no batteries. Turning the console on made them do this long beeeeeeeeep.
 Ifrit.Keeria
user: Keeria
By Ifrit.Keeria 2010-08-24 07:28:08  
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
They were really irritating when they had no batteries. Turning the console on made them do this long beeeeeeeeep.
Ugh, I just remembered that sound for the first time in years. Damn you.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-24 07:30:26  
lol sorry
 Ifrit.Keeria
By Ifrit.Keeria 2010-08-24 07:32:19  
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
lol sorry
All is forgiven. I did voluntarily engage in a conversation about the Dreamcast, after all.

...My, did we derail this topic rather quickly.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-24 07:33:52  
Can't underestimate Dreamcast fanboyism
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-24 07:33:55  
Dreamcast is worth the derail, I thought I was the only one who liked that console :/
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-24 07:36:56  
Couldn't say no to buying it after seeing Super Sonic in 3d. Sonic Adv 1+2 were awesome (and probably the last good Sonic games made)
 Ifrit.Keeria
By Ifrit.Keeria 2010-08-24 07:37:56  
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Sonic Adv 1+2 were awesome (and probably the last good Sonic games made)
That.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-24 07:38:59  
I agree completely. I was always a nintendo fan, but I loved the sonic games. I found Sonic Adventure to be on par with Mario 64.
 Ifrit.Keeria
By Ifrit.Keeria 2010-08-24 07:41:57  
Oh, responding to:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Dreamcast is worth the derail, I thought I was the only one who liked that console :/
It seems like the system was pretty hated when it first came out, but these days I've noticed that most places it's mentioned end up becoming nostalgia-fests. Seems people only realized how awesome it was once it was taken away; either that or the haters moved on and the only people left talking about it are those who loved it "way back when".

It's probably both, with the latter being somewhat more the case.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-24 07:45:53  
PS2 hype killed the Dreamcast. PS2 was stated as being powerful enough to launch a nuclear missle as quoted by Sony. Coinciding release with that especially since Sega's last console (Saturn) was a flop, was fatal.
DC had amazing games though :<
 Cerberus.Kalyna
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2010-08-24 07:47:01  
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
PS2 hype killed the Dreamcast. PS2 was stated as being powerful enough to launch a nuclear missle as quoted by Sony. Coinciding release with that especially since Sega's last console (Saturn) was a flop, was fatal.
DC had amazing games though :<
/actually launched a nuke with a ps2 >.>
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-24 07:48:28  
I'm surprised at the quality of the games on the Dreamcast seeing as they must have been hard pressed for third party support. The majority of good games are published by Sega themselves though. Same for Nintendo consoles, most of the better games are published by Nintendo.

Sony and Microsoft will never have that imo.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-08-24 07:48:28  
 Cerberus.Kalyna
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2010-08-24 07:49:36  
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
is it just me or does the guy in the left (with the green pants, purple under-longsleeve shirt adn white turban) look like Dave Chapelle?
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-24 07:50:37  
Just you, but the guy on the middle-right looks like Carlton
 Cerberus.Kalyna
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2010-08-24 07:53:38  
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Just you, but the guy on the middle-right looks like Carlton
XD he does
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-08-24 07:56:18  
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-08-24 07:57:38  
 Phoenix.Elaenia
サーバ: Phoenix
user: izzlet
By Phoenix.Elaenia 2010-08-24 08:26:22  
piracy *is* wrong, in the end stealing is stealing, but it isn't necessarily a bad thing. people who pirate things likely wouldn't have bought the product if piracy weren't available to them. the 80 PERCENT LOSS OF SALES DUE TO PIRACY thing people like to cry about is a big exaggeration, in my opinion, because of that. so while it is wrong, i think people make way too big of a deal about it.
it allows your game or whatever else to reach an audience it otherwise wouldn't have been able to. plus, if it's something out of print you can only find used, it keeps shitty stores like gamestop from making any money :<
personally i always used it as a try before i buy sort of thing, because 95% of the games i play, i never finish, and most of the time i don't even get halfway. if i do get close to finishing a game, or it's something i already know i'll enjoy/finish, i'll always go out and pick up a copy.
imo it's stealing, and that's not good at all, but i'm not kidding myself into thinking all the crap i've downloaded is totally okay and not wrong.

tl;dr: piracy is stealing, stealing is bad, but piracy allows your game to reach people who never would have bought it, so that's pretty cool too. sorry for interrupting your silly picture spam with a serious post
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-08-24 08:28:58  
Phoenix.Elaenia said:
piracy *is* wrong, in the end stealing is stealing
Stealing is stealing. Pirating is not stealing.

Stealing is a crime because someone loses something they own. Not because someone else gets something for free.

No one loses anything in the case of piracy. Not even game companies lose any money.

Edit: I'm sure people have pictures to portray this.

Edit2: I was beaten.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-24 08:29:36  
Phoenix.Elaenia said:
piracy *is* wrong, in the end stealing is stealing, but it isn't necessarily a bad thing. people who pirate things likely wouldn't have bought the product if piracy weren't available to them. the 80 PERCENT LOSS OF SALES DUE TO PIRACY thing people like to cry about is a big exaggeration, in my opinion, because of that. so while it is wrong, i think people make way too big of a deal about it.
it allows your game or whatever else to reach an audience it otherwise wouldn't have been able to. plus, if it's something out of print you can only find used, it keeps shitty stores like gamestop from making any money :<
personally i always used it as a try before i buy sort of thing, because 95% of the games i play, i never finish, and most of the time i don't even get halfway. if i do get close to finishing a game, or it's something i already know i'll enjoy/finish, i'll always go out and pick up a copy.
imo it's stealing, and that's not good at all, but i'm not kidding myself into thinking all the crap i've downloaded is totally okay and not wrong.

tl;dr: piracy is stealing, stealing is bad, but piracy allows your game to reach people who never would have bought it, so that's pretty cool too. sorry for interrupting your silly picture spam with a serious post

[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-24 08:29:37  
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-24 08:31:01  
Well ***lol
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-08-24 08:31:25  
Everyone sure wants their blue stars.
 Unicorn.Jewkitten
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Jewkitten
By Unicorn.Jewkitten 2010-08-24 08:43:04  
What companies fail to realize is not everyone has disposable income.

It's not like i am NOT buying something I would have purchased otherwise.

I purchase nothing except MMO related ***, everything else is food, rent, bills.

If piracy where not an option, the companies would not gain a cent from me, i would just be minus alot of music and anime.

I don't care if it is right or wrong, I cannot give what I don't have. Yet I refuse to live in a void of entertainment cause I don't have a wad of cash to give to the company that owns the rights.

If I do have something to give I will gladly "support the artist", but even then I would MUCH rather send some cash DIRECTLY to the artist's paypal than to the buy unnecessary physical merchandise so the creator can get 3 cents.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-24 08:45:00  
Unicorn.Jewkitten said:
What companies fail to realize is not everyone has disposable income.

It's not like i am NOT buying something I would have purchased otherwise.

I purchase nothing except MMO related ***, everything else is food, rent, bills.

If piracy where not an option, the companies would not gain a cent from me, i would just be minus alot of music and anime.

I don't care if it is right or wrong, I cannot give what I don't have. Yet I refuse to live in a void of entertainment cause I don't have a wad of cash to give to the company that owns the rights.

If I do have something to give I will gladly "support the artist", but even then I would MUCH rather send some cash DIRECTLY to the artist's paypal than to the buy unnecessary physical merchandise so the creator can get 3 cents.

Also this. Without Piracy I'd have no entertainment at all.
[+]
 Phoenix.Elaenia
サーバ: Phoenix
user: izzlet
By Phoenix.Elaenia 2010-08-24 08:45:44  
my bad, that is true. i never really thought of it that way. :X
i guess i'll just leave it at "technically it's wrong, it's against the law, but at the same time it's a good thing since it gets it out to people who wouldn't have bought the product anyway"

e: and jewkitten sums up what i'm trying to say better than i can, lol
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-24 08:48:04  
While I will agree it's against the law I wouldn't call it wrong. And it's only against the law because people with too much money already want to have even more. And money (or those with it) influence the laws ALOT
 Ifrit.Eikechi
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-08-24 08:48:36  
Siren.Enternius said:
No one loses anything in the case of piracy. Not even game companies lose any money.

How does a company not lose money by not selling 1 more product? Just curious how you think that....

That being said, I'm all for piracy lol. I use limewire all the f-in time to get music lol. Matter of fact, I'm getting music off it, right now....no BS lol. I use roms and ***because lets face it...old video games that are now classics, are just that...classics and antiquated.. TRY finding a non-referb NES cartridge or SNES cartridge or the consoles themselves... They are as old as I am almost, so odds are, most of the ones floating around aren't working quite right anymore (again unless referb or somebody replaced the pin set...same ***lol)...So you kind of have to emulate those games in order to enjoy the roots of console games. (Yes I start with NES because it was the first really good, "mainstream" console in my eyes, although it wasn't the only system I played as a kid...anybody remember the Calico Vision or EnTelevision (believe it was called...controller looked like an old TV remote lol).)
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9