Piracy, Is It Truly Wrong?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Piracy, Is it truly wrong?
Piracy, Is it truly wrong?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-24 08:50:20  
Ifrit.Eikechi said:
Siren.Enternius said:
No one loses anything in the case of piracy. Not even game companies lose any money.
How does a company not lose money by not selling 1 more product? Just curious how you think that....
Who is to say they would've sold that 1 more product. Look at the posters. ALot of them just couldn't afford it so wouldn't. Or if they could they wouldn't waste the money on an untried game or whatever. I'd go so far to argue that piracy might even increase sales.

More importantly I could care less if someone making billions gets $40 less lol.
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-08-24 08:51:49  
Ifrit.Eikechi said:
Siren.Enternius said:
No one loses anything in the case of piracy. Not even game companies lose any money.

How does a company not lose money by not selling 1 more product? Just curious how you think that....
Well look at it this way.

These companies don't automatically reserve 60 dollars of my money when they release a game. If I don't buy a game, I just don't buy it. They don't lose money. They just don't gain any. It's not like I'm depriving them of a sale, I probably wouldn't have bothered to play the game in the first place if I had to pay 60 dollars for 8 hours of gameplay.
 Ifrit.Eikechi
サーバ: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-08-24 08:51:54  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
ALot of them just couldn't afford it so wouldn't. Or if they could they wouldn't waste the money on an untried game.

Rental companies say hi.... And ***..I've bought some REALLY SHITTY games....I'm looking at you Unlimited Saga...Wasted money sucks, but its part of life I suppose lol. Bad choices and such...
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-08-24 08:53:25  
Siren.Enternius said:

These companies don't automatically reserve 60 dollars of my money when they release a game. If I don't buy a game, I just don't buy it. They don't lose money. They just don't gain any. It's not like I'm depriving them of a sale, I probably wouldn't have bothered to play the game in the first place if I had to pay 60 dollars for 8 hours of gameplay.

Ok...thats a good point I didn't quite realize...carry on good sir, you are correct lol. THAT being said.. 8 hours of gameplay is why I deter from buying certain game types and why I LOVE RPGs lol. I played some for well over 100h (some of which clocked out at 99h 59m 59s lol)
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-24 08:53:54  
Why have the chance of making bad choices, when you can eradicate that chance at no personal loss?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-24 08:55:26  
Ifrit.Eikechi said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
ALot of them just couldn't afford it so wouldn't. Or if they could they wouldn't waste the money on an untried game.
Rental companies say hi.... And ***..I've bought some REALLY SHITTY games....I'm looking at you Unlimited Saga...Wasted money sucks, but its part of life I suppose lol. Bad choices and such...
Rental companies are dead.

Probably the whole thing about you could just buy the game for the cost of renting it for a month or so. Which if you don't have alot of time to play or play multiple things might be how long it takes you to really give a game a chance. Hell half the time you can just buy a used copy for not much more than 1 rental

If it pans out ok I'll buy it.
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-08-24 08:57:08  
Well brand new games might not also be emulated, or its hard to find...I personally don't use rental companies anymore. Haven't in a long *** time. If I buy a game, its either A) A franchise I know and love (I'm looking at you FF13 which was good imho but lets not derail this thread about that lol). or B) A REALLY REALLY interesting looking game that got semi decent reviews or that has a very cool concept (How I got into ther persona RPG series..some of which are the best games I've ever played).
 Phoenix.Elaenia
サーバ: Phoenix
user: izzlet
By Phoenix.Elaenia 2010-08-24 08:58:29  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
While I will agree it's against the law I wouldn't call it wrong. And it's only against the law because people with too much money already want to have even more. And money (or those with it) influence the laws ALOT
yeah :\ i think the big deal companies make about it is ridiculous. i only make a point about it being wrong/against the law because i know so many people who claim to be moral saints while having huge piles of pirated games, which seems silly to me, lol
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-08-24 09:00:23  
Seems silly, because it is silly...and hypocritical lol
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-24 09:01:21  
Phoenix.Elaenia said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
While I will agree it's against the law I wouldn't call it wrong. And it's only against the law because people with too much money already want to have even more. And money (or those with it) influence the laws ALOT
yeah :\ i think the big deal companies make about it is ridiculous. i only make a point about it being wrong/against the law because i know so many people who claim to be moral saints while having huge piles of pirated games, which seems silly to me, lol
I don't see how the 2 can't coexist.

Laws and morals are 2 different things. Just because it is against he law doesn't make it wrong. And no I don't just mean all those stupid outdated laws out there. There are plenty that are just rediculous. But we obey them (more or less) because there are consequences.

On top of that morals are subjective anyways. Just cause you think they are wrong doesn't mean it is and certainly doesn't mean they think they are
 Phoenix.Elaenia
By Phoenix.Elaenia 2010-08-24 09:09:52  
well, yeah, but these people are claiming to be moral saints because they do things like playing ffxi without those 3rd party programs like windower that are made by the devil. not because they're upstanding citizens who donate to charities and etc. :p which is why it seems so silly to me that they act so high and mighty over 3rd party programs in a game while sitting on huge piles of pirated games. :c
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-08-24 09:11:36  
Ifrit.Eikechi said:
Siren.Enternius said:

Ok...thats a good point I didn't quite realize...carry on good sir, you are correct lol. THAT being said.. 8 hours of gameplay is why I deter from buying certain game types and why I LOVE RPGs lol. I played some for well over 100h (some of which clocked out at 99h 59m 59s lol)
This is exactly why I love MMOs.

Sure, you can argue that they're 50 dollars at launch, 15 dollars a month, and extra money for expansions/addons. And you can argue that after 6 years, you've spent 1,310 dollars on the game.

But just think about that for a second. What other entertainment medium costs 1,310 dollars for 6 years of continuous entertainment and enjoyment? If you put that into terms of 8-hour games for 60 dollars:

8 * 3=24, so 180 dollars for 24 hours of gameplay.

24 hours * 365 = 8760 hours per year

8760 * 6 = 52560 hours in 6 years.

Do the math, that's 9,460,800 dollars for 6 years of continuous entertainment from retail-priced video games, each lasting 8 hours. Now 1,310 dollars doesn't seem so bad, does it?
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-24 09:12:53  
Playing Final Fantasy XI saved me so much money in the long run.
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-08-24 09:13:10  
Exactly Ent, I'm 110% with ya on that
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-24 09:14:12  
Meh not wanting to cheat your fellow gamers is completely different then not wanting to spend a fortune on games to line the pockets of people with too much to begin with
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-24 09:14:54  
I do both.

Well I don't bot, but I use windower and Ap-radar.

Using bots that directly hurt other people doesn't sit well with me though, be them Claim-bots or aim-bots.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-24 09:15:46  
Game developers still lose a lot of money through piracy, I don't see how you can refute that. Same with CDs/other media. It's still wrong, but I can't really white knight it what with my HDDs full of downloaded anime/music.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-08-24 09:16:14  
Botting is where I draw the line also.

I wouldn't even bot in FFXI if I were paid to do it. Yet I use Windower almost exclusively, to the point where I can't even play it on Xbox or PS2 because Windower just makes the game so much better.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-24 09:17:52  
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Game developers still lose a lot of money through piracy, I don't see how you can refute that. Same with CDs/other media. It's still wrong, but I can't really white knight it what with my HDDs full of downloaded anime/music.
/refutes it AGAIN
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-24 09:19:56  
Siren.Enternius said:
I wouldn't even bot in FFXI if I were paid to do it. Yet I use Windower almost exclusively, to the point where I can't even play it on Xbox or PS2 because Windower just makes the game so much better.
I started using windower and just windower in like 04 I think cause I couldn't stand having to log out to look anything up. And if it was trying to navigate using an online map that I didn't have ig... it could take several.

Until recently I still used that same version I think. I mean yeah it's hella outdated and has almost no plug ins. But it played in window mode and did it much better than the SE version that finally got released
 Phoenix.Elaenia
By Phoenix.Elaenia 2010-08-24 09:21:16  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
/refutes it AGAIN

i can't help but imagine that every victory you make in an argument is celebrated by playing swordfish guitar :<
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-24 09:22:26  
Miss his old avatar
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-24 09:23:16  
Phoenix.Elaenia said:
i can't help but imagine that every victory you make in an argument is celebrated by playing swordfish guitar :<
He does love to play that swordfish. Wish I could find where it comes from though
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Miss his old avatar
Which one?
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-24 09:23:42  
I think it was Elfen Lied?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-24 09:26:10  
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
The one where she sneezes and someone goes splat?
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-08-24 09:26:20  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Phoenix.Elaenia said:
He does love to play that swordfish. Wish I could find where it comes from though
It's from an anime thing called Clannad. Google it if you need more than that.

Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-24 09:27:36  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:

I think it was Lucy and that other girl hugging. I dunno if it was Elfen Lied, looked like it to me though
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-24 09:27:51  
Siren.Enternius said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Phoenix.Elaenia said:
It's from an anime thing called Clannad. Google it if you need more than that.
Really but clannad seems so emoish and lame.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-24 09:28:49  
Movie was sad :<
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-24 09:28:59  
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
I think it was Lucy and that other girl hugging. I dunno if it was Elfen Lied, looked like it to me though
Oh yeah the one where they were just hugging cause they were happy about food but it looked... well like the start of a lesbian sex scene
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9