Piracy, Is It Truly Wrong?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Piracy, Is it truly wrong?
Piracy, Is it truly wrong?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Ramuh.Vinvv
サーバ: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-08-24 19:35:18  
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Because some people have paid big fines for pirating media.

Idk if it takes 5 hours to download a movie it would lag your computer, no?
Takes me 5 minutes :/
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-24 19:36:17  
Bismarck.Demented said:

This isn't a subject of whether or not it is illegal. It's a question of morality, perhaps you should pay more attention.

For instance, when you right-click on a picture of the "Mona Lisa" online, and "Save As" are you stealing that photo? Should you be fined?

For something to be considered a theft, transfer of ownership must occur. The owner has to be deprived of the item (or virtual good).

Not exactly, I doubt the original is for sale so it's not really a valid comparison. Downloading a game for sake of not buying it reduces the revenue the developer would've made. I don't really care about d/ling music though, they get paid way too much anyway.
[+]
 Phoenix.Smileybone
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Smileybone 2010-08-24 19:36:30  
Ramuh.Thunderz said:
The way society looks at it. If you lend your item to someone your stealing since that person could have "purchased/rented" the item

The only time I see it as being bad is if im profiting from it. Making CDs of copied games and selling them but this is not the case

Lending a CD to someone isn't illegal because someone still had to pay for it. It's only illegal if you make a copy for yourself and then return the CD to it's owner essentially getting a free copy of the CD.
 Phoenix.Degs
user: Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2010-08-24 19:36:37  
Bismarck.Demented said:
Bismarck.Elanabelle said:
Bismarck.Demented said:
of anything. Intellectual property is intangible and infinite, therefore cannot be considered stolen.

I do agree redistribution for profit is a felony.

Actually, intellectual property can be "stolen", although, perhaps you mean that "steal" is not the most appropriate verb.

Governments recognize that unauthorized possession of non-physical entities that originated from another individual is a crime. That's why identity theft is a crime. We could call it identity rape or identity assault, and perhaps those would be more true-to-meaning ... but for simplicity's sake, we call it theft.

Same thing applies to piracy. The government recognizes the need to protect intellectual property; that's why we have patents and copyrights. We could call pirating "brain assault" or "mind raping" ... again, for simplicity, we term it piracy or theft.

If you want to steal/pirate other people's artwork or intellectual property, go ahead. Just be prepared to pay the consequences if you are caught. It's a crime to do it; and if you don't like that, boo-hoo.

This isn't a subject of whether or not it is illegal. It's a question of morality, perhaps you should pay more attention.

For instance, when you right-click on a picture of the "Mona Lisa" online, and "Save As" are you stealing that photo? Should you be fined?

For something to be considered a theft, transfer of ownership must occur. The owner has to be deprived of the item (or virtual good).

does it really take away from an artist if you download a movie or a song.. probably not, most times people will still go and see a movie again, or buy it... people will still go to concerts and spend money on t-shirts and merchandise... those things right there will accrue more money than a 10 dollar cd merchandise for a movie will prove more profitable for the company too than buying a movie for 10-20 dollars... especially more than a movie theatre showing of a movie, which super over charge
 Ramuh.Thunderz
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-08-24 19:54:31  
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Ramuh.Thunderz said:
The way society looks at it. If you lend your item to someone your stealing since that person could have "purchased/rented" the item

The only time I see it as being bad is if im profiting from it. Making CDs of copied games and selling them but this is not the case

Lending a CD to someone isn't illegal because someone still had to pay for it. It's only illegal if you make a copy for yourself and then return the CD to it's owner essentially getting a free copy of the CD.

he still watched it essentially
 Cerberus.Ethics
サーバ: Cerberus
user: zerohoax
By Cerberus.Ethics 2010-08-24 20:09:02  
borrowing and owning are two different things
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-08-24 20:21:37  
Bismarck.Demented said:

Ummm, no.
The OP's first line of the thread opens the discussion with his dissatisfaction with the illegality of pirated works.

Perhaps you should pay attention. I made an effort to delineate why "theft" may not be the most appropriate word for the crime, but we use it to describe the crime out of convention. Apparently, that was lost on you. Piracy is a crime, and "transferring ownership" of an item, whether it's tangible or not, is not a requirement to commit theft in the real world ... only in the dictionary.
 Bismarck.Demented
user: Nrem
By Bismarck.Demented 2010-08-24 21:23:06  
Quote:
Piracy, Is it truly wrong?
The thread title suggests morality, he merely denoted his opinion in his opening post regarding why it shouldn't be considered such a "bad" thing.

You also completely ignored my example. A saved photo: It's a digital good, an intellectual property; you do not own it. Same as music. By having a copy of the infinite available, at no cost of reproduction should be considered "bad" and illegal, too?
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-08-24 21:26:32  
If your PC possesses unauthorized data, that originated from a source that has a legitimate claim on ownership of said data, then yes, it's illegal.

Is it "bad" to do this? I don't know. That's completely subjective. You be the judge.
 Phoenix.Darki
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-08-24 23:12:52  
so, can anyone give me a nice source where i can DL music from?
torrentz is bleh lately.

i'm im mac btw
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-25 00:09:28  
Speaking of free ***... I just found a legit totally legal way to download Metro 2033 and Cryostasis for free. If anyone is interested and has Steam PM me.
 Leviathan.Iphigenia
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Iphigenia 2010-08-25 00:20:05  
Steal ***people made and they don't make money. No more ***you like to steal will get made. That is all.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9