Piracy, Is It Truly Wrong?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Piracy, Is it truly wrong?
Piracy, Is it truly wrong?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
By AdamChiro 2010-08-24 15:30:44  
lorl!

If you had added a trailer with Cameron diaz, the that would've been perfect, Zanno.. =)
 Ramuh.Vinvv
サーバ: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-08-24 15:38:25  
AdamChiro said:
@ Vinvv

Yeah,man. the product is the product is the product.

True story.

Maybe im trying to defend the fact of how many people it takes to make a piece of Art happen?

Movies > music.

Depending on the scale of the movie, of course.
I can make a film by myself.

Would it be as great as a major one? No.
But then it's a battle of artistry over collective enjoyment.

and that's off thread. my bad.

It just seems music is far more capapble of existing without massive production than a movie is.

This, being based on the principles that each is judged by.
If you call Dragon Wars for example if you are familiar with that movie a work of art by all means.
If you call a movie a work of art I am going to have to be an art critic :/

Or does Ebert pay for his movies?

Society today has evolved to the point that we can have a bit of foresight when it comes to movies, I typically stream/download and then delete when it comes to new movies.
If they are ones I keep on my computer I keep em and purchase.
I see the fact that the movie industry puts out constant flops as a reason to not pay for stuff I don't like.
If more people did so it would be apparent just due to the lack of revenue for the said movie.
I think that if you work really hard for something(in regards to your production teams), you should be paid for what the product is.
If it's ***you shouldn't get ***.
Simple is that.
I'm not gonna pay 13 bucks for a movie that is lets say top marks in production value but lacking in plot and everything else because all the money went into the graphics and explosions.
I do not want to validate such a concept.

I don't know why I'm hung up on the number 13 in regards to price.
Just seems like the general price markdown for ***movies.
By AdamChiro 2010-08-24 15:42:16  
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
AdamChiro said:
@ Vinvv Yeah,man. the product is the product is the product. True story. Maybe im trying to defend the fact of how many people it takes to make a piece of Art happen? Movies > music. Depending on the scale of the movie, of course. I can make a film by myself. Would it be as great as a major one? No. But then it's a battle of artistry over collective enjoyment. and that's off thread. my bad. It just seems music is far more capapble of existing without massive production than a movie is. This, being based on the principles that each is judged by.
If you call Dragon Wars for example if you are familiar with that movie a work of art by all means. If you call a movie a work of art I am going to have to be an art critic :/ Or does Ebert pay for his movies? Society today has evolved to the point that we can have a bit of foresight when it comes to movies, I typically stream/download and then delete when it comes to new movies. If they are ones I keep on my computer I keep em and purchase. I see the fact that the movie industry puts out constant flops as a reason to not pay for stuff I don't like. If more people did so it would be apparent just due to the lack of revenue for the said movie. I think that if you work really hard for something(in regards to your production teams), you should be paid for what the product is. If it's ***you shouldn't get ***. Simple is that. I'm not gonna pay 13 bucks for a movie that is lets say top marks in production value but lacking in plot and everything else because all the money went into the graphics and explosions. I do not want to validate such a concept.

i was hoping to keep it from going there, but we left piracy and went into practical economics and genuine artistry, maybe?

Valid point, tho. No discredit to you, sir.
Perhaps a thread of the true nature of art in film and music and games is applicable. heh
 Gilgamesh.Tirantus
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: Tirantus
By Gilgamesh.Tirantus 2010-08-24 15:45:13  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Siren.Flunklesnarkin said:
I love how people try to rationalize stealing games.

It's illegal, but its easy so you do it. I do it. Get use to the fact that you steal.

If a company wanted to give it away for free they would do it for word of mouth publicity like portal's did with steam.

No need for any long winded arguments that you aren't stealing.

If you really want to feel better about it .. you can buy the game after the fact if you really liked it to support the company.
This ^

Also all the people saying "I pirate games I wouldn't of bought otherwise" are leaving out the fact that they typically also pirate games they WOULD normally buy as well. Lets not split hairs here, pirating one game is no different than pirating any other game. I don't see someone who would pirate games to begin with trying to morally rationalize how getting an illegal copy of one game is okay but getting an illegal copy of a different game is wrong.

The only time I've ever personally heard of someone buying a legit copy of a game they pirated is if they are locked out of some of the games content otherwise. Such as online multiplayer or unable to get DLC for the game. In this case you aren't buying the game because you feel its worth the money or you're supporting the industry. You're buying it because you are forced to do so to get the full game.
 Fenrir.Schutz
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2010-08-24 15:46:25  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Siren.Flunklesnarkin said:
I love how people try to rationalize stealing games. It's illegal, but its easy so you do it. I do it. Get use to the fact that you steal. If a company wanted to give it away for free they would do it for word of mouth publicity like portal's did with steam. No need for any long winded arguments that you aren't stealing. If you really want to feel better about it .. you can buy the game after the fact if you really liked it to support the company.

Aiyaah...you were supposed to be either ragingly indignant, or at least coldly logical in dissecting every argument with some amazing profundity. ;_;

Instead you gave a "+1". -_-;;

Hmm...unless...Siren.Flunklesnarkin is secretly a Jaerik sock-puppet account...then... :p
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-08-24 15:49:17  
AdamChiro said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
AdamChiro said:
@ Vinvv Yeah,man. the product is the product is the product. True story. Maybe im trying to defend the fact of how many people it takes to make a piece of Art happen? Movies > music. Depending on the scale of the movie, of course. I can make a film by myself. Would it be as great as a major one? No. But then it's a battle of artistry over collective enjoyment. and that's off thread. my bad. It just seems music is far more capapble of existing without massive production than a movie is. This, being based on the principles that each is judged by.
If you call Dragon Wars for example if you are familiar with that movie a work of art by all means. If you call a movie a work of art I am going to have to be an art critic :/ Or does Ebert pay for his movies? Society today has evolved to the point that we can have a bit of foresight when it comes to movies, I typically stream/download and then delete when it comes to new movies. If they are ones I keep on my computer I keep em and purchase. I see the fact that the movie industry puts out constant flops as a reason to not pay for stuff I don't like. If more people did so it would be apparent just due to the lack of revenue for the said movie. I think that if you work really hard for something(in regards to your production teams), you should be paid for what the product is. If it's ***you shouldn't get ***. Simple is that. I'm not gonna pay 13 bucks for a movie that is lets say top marks in production value but lacking in plot and everything else because all the money went into the graphics and explosions. I do not want to validate such a concept.

i was hoping to keep it from going there, but we left piracy and went into practical economics and genuine artistry, maybe?

Valid point, tho. No discredit to you, sir.
Perhaps a thread of the true nature of art in film and music and games is applicable. heh
Why do you keep on calling it art? I get the point that it's "art", but I just don't see the relevance it has to pirating past that.
The market is oversaturated, piracy is a sign of oversaturation.
We replaced quality with quantity.
Big explosions, shiny things..all that.
Does it make it art? Yes.
Does it make it art that would be considered to be good?
Not necessarily, and the price of the said art will be a good example as to how much it really costs.
Or do you see the godfather in the 5 dollar bin?
But really I'm not arguing about pirating at this point either, just validating my reasoning.
I watch a lot of movies and not all of them are good, I usually buy the good ones :/
Rather than advocating poor movies with purchase, I advocate movies I deem to be good with a purchase.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-08-24 16:27:13  
I don't feel like looking up the data but:

The price of new release VHS in the day are about the same as DVDs are now.

Price releases of new games are about the same as the ones in the early 1990s.

Right now the law basically states copying original works for other than back up purposes is illegal. That's fine you do that and you break the law technically.

However using the argument about increases of prices towards the consumer is ***. New Movies, Games, and music prices are about the same now then 20+ years ago.

Only dramatic price increases have been in hardware. Console prices have gone up, whereas PC prices have gone down.

TL;DR: Most of what the companies say is *** about losing profits and forcing consumers to pay more. Yes, it's technically illegal, but vastly overstated in their (companies) propaganda.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-08-24 16:33:50  
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
I don't feel like looking up the data but:

The price of new release VHS in the day are about the same as DVDs are now.

Price releases of new games are about the same as the ones in the early 1990s.

Right now the law basically states copying original works for other than back up purposes is illegal. That's fine you do that and you break the law technically.

However using the argument about increases of prices towards the consumer is ***. New Movies, Games, and music prices are about the same now then 20+ years ago.

Only dramatic price increases have been in hardware. Console prices have gone up, whereas PC prices have gone down.

TL;DR: Most of what the companies say is *** about losing profits and forcing consumers to pay more. Yes, it's technically illegal, but vastly overstated in their (companies) propaganda.
I don't really see that the bottom line price for consoles has changed. I remember buying an SNES for 200 and that's what they market the bare minimum 360's at.

In regards to piracy...the main reason that it has become a "problem" is more just due to the whole digital revolution.
Who are you addressing in regards to this post?

There are always gonna be people who throw away their money, people who steal, and people who wisely use their money pretty much.

Overly expensive things are just bait. Ex. Apple Products, 360 HDD's lol..just a couple off the top of my head.

Now hacking a 360 to use a normal HDD. I think that's absolutely fine even-though someone that would do that typically pirates anyway..
 Ramuh.Thunderz
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-08-24 16:39:41  
People who pirate would 99.9% not buy your game. the 0.1% uses it as a demo. So even if you completely banish pirating your sales aint gonna go up.

I use to pirate stuff to test it out but it was pretty BS on my Download cap and its also a mindfuck messing around with it just to figure out that the "DLLx,x,x,x,x" is missing and you either have to find it or re-download the damn thing

so now I just buy wtv my friends hop on or a game ive been Reeaaaaaally waiting for like Diablo III.
 Bismarck.Sutekii
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Sutekii 2010-08-24 16:52:37  
Leviathan.Chaosx said:

Thats true, piracy is a real issue for said companies but they do drastically exaggerate projected losses because of piracy. Mostly because they use some sort of bogus calculation that basically equates to each "end-pirate" being a single lost sale(ok, so they're probably not THAT bold).

In all probability, the percentage of people who would have actually bought the product if it weren't illegally available is incredibly small.(leaving you now for my own rant)

I personally have pirated software and games I would have never known or cared about if I didn't find it in the circle of piracy, and I would NEVER pay for said software.

But I will pirate software and games I might buy. If I like the title enough, I will buy it, typically a used copy. This way, I avoid overpaying for a shitty game that I can't take back to the store for a refund. Thats not a justification, because I don't believe I need a justification for it. I am willingly breaking the law.

Remembering the last Sonic game for PS2...I pirated it a day after it came out to see if it was any good. Still 50$ on the shelf at the time, and the game was a steaming pile of ***(I'm being fairly generous). I woulda been heartbroken if I had actually BOUGHT the thing. I promptly snapped the copy in half.

So is piracy wrong? Well, thats a moral question, and morality has always been a gray area. The simple fact is that it's illegal and there are consequences to it.
 Sylph.Pwrlessgirl
サーバ: Sylph
user: Pwrless
By Sylph.Pwrlessgirl 2010-08-24 16:56:47  
Carbuncle.Zanno said:
didnt read the whole thread, sorry if repost.

If you think that is a lot TRY a DISNEY MOVIE,... I SWEAR TO GAWD <<<<<MY KIDZ HAVE TO WATCH NINE FREAKING MOVIE TRAILERS>>>> and even a CHUCKY CHEESE Advertisement, before HAVING a CHANCE TO PRESS PLAY to SEE THE MOVIE. It like FcUKING Money HUNGRY DIsNEY BROTHERS SHOVING so MUCH Merchandise/Movies up my Children's @$$. Mr. Walt Disney is prolly rolling on his Grave just thinking of what these GREEDY CORPORATE Businesspeople are trying to sell to innocent minds.

and on a SEPARATE NOTE: The reason I am Produdly wearing my ORIGINAL GUCCI WATCH $430.00 (1995 money) for the Past 15 years is beCUZ I BOT the $10.00 Knock-off In ChinaTown New YORK and it felt comfortable. Thus, due to PIRACY.. I ended UP with original.

By Eurra 2010-08-24 17:05:07  
IMO, its - meh.

Its good - because a lot of these so called "groups" actually sound like ***live. Studio magic - anyone can become a singer.

for example. They sound like ***live - that which I linked is the CD version. And yes, I saw they live. Lucky - it was a free show when they were roughly starting out.

Whats my point?

I wouldn't spend a dime on them, not after seeing them live. Terrible.

But I also understand its bad, its steal, its copying - its a lot of this and that. I believe a lot of music wouldn't be heard - by a lot of people, if it wasn't heard through piracy.

Like this for example - not sure how reliable it is

http://debatewise.org/debates/998-music-should-be-free-for-all

Sylph.Pwrless
By Sylph.Pwrless 2010-08-24 17:12:37  
Bismarck.Sutekii said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Thats true, piracy is a real issue for said companies but they do drastically exaggerate projected losses because of piracy. Mostly because they use some sort of bogus calculation that basically equates to each "end-pirate" being a single lost sale(ok, so they're probably not THAT bold).

This is EXACTLY whats Wrong with the MOVIE INDUSTRY trying to justify making Per say $6.5 billion instead of $7 billion due to PIRACY.
Please NOTE you made $6.5 BILLION not $7 BILLION becuz... the PIRATES and their CLIENTS were NOT going to pay to see the movie or buy the original DVD anyway.

YOU CAN NOT CLAIM as a LOSS what you did not EARN

Inversly to this just like ENRON Corporation projected Profits and paid millions in bonuses, needless to say the rise of stock price, for an INDIA POWER PLANT project that never FINALIZED because INDIA could not afford to pay for Nuclear Power.

YOU CAN NOT CLAIM as a PROFIT what you have not EARNED YET

Just like Enron collapsed for Exgerating Profits, so will the Movie industry for Exagerating losses. People will find other ways to enterntain themselves.

Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-08-24 17:16:46  
Can we PLEASE STOP TALKInglikeTHIS.
 Sylph.Pwrless
By Sylph.Pwrless 2010-08-24 17:23:12  
Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra said:
Can we PLEASE STOP TALKInglikeTHIS.

No BORDAZ WE Talk LIKE THIZ CAN NOT STOP ME... SHALL PROBLEM U HAV, GO TALK TO DERFY GALKA MAN and SORT OUT YO ProBLEMZ CUZ THIS IS FREE SPEECH of MND

O_________O

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Darkpearl
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Darkpearl
By Ragnarok.Darkpearl 2010-08-24 17:35:18  
I have buy many things original and meh... so much money spent for nothing... so many CD audio (that was 10-12 years ago like, ***if time fly) like Train of Thoughts of Dream Theater or other albums metal... that for me they should have pay me for ruin my ears listen that songs... and same with some games. I think the price of a game or cd should be at a fair price, specially some cd audio that are register so bad and lack in quality.
 Asura.Patriclis
サーバ: Asura
user: Patriclis
By Asura.Patriclis 2010-08-24 17:38:21  
yes, it's wrong
people still do it anyways
welcome to earth
By chichi 2010-08-24 17:40:34  
Asura.Patriclis said:
yes, it's wrong people still do it anyways welcome to earth

@ ops question, it is wrong there is no way around it. You can say this or that or make excuses but at the end of the day it's wrong. But I'm not condeming you or anyone else that does it. Just saying it's wrong :)
 Lakshmi.Flavin
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2010-08-24 17:42:44  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Lakshmi.Flavin said:
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:

Not that I'm mad, It's pretty obvious people are going to continue to pirate regardless of what anyone says or does for a number of different reasons. I can't however understand how people come on here and think that pirating is a) not theft and b) doesn't affect anyone.

It's not theft, it's copying.

Don't fool yourself, its theft.
 Phoenix.Zeotah
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Zeota
By Phoenix.Zeotah 2010-08-24 17:42:49  
Every time something like this comes up, I am reminded of this.

Ramuh.Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-08-24 17:47:12  
honestly there is soooooooooo many crap games coming out claiming they are the best and only showing CG animation in their ads or showing some pre-rendered stuff. They refuse to release a demo then you basically have the choice (Buy now/wait for reviews) you can fall on some bias HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE review so then you gotta see if any of your friends bought it and ask them if its any good....too much effort so *** it.

Pirating is the best kind of demo
Online games is the best way to protect against Piracy except if your Operation Flashpoint cheap *** mofos didn't have any kind of piracy protection. xD
 Fenrir.Tool
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-24 17:48:51  
Clearly things exist for the purpose of taking them.
Why else would there be things? They're there for you to have!
 Phoenix.Zeotah
By Phoenix.Zeotah 2010-08-24 17:49:33  
Ramuh.Thunderz said:

Online games is the best way to protect against Piracy except if your Operation Flashpoint cheap *** mofos didn't have any kind of piracy protection. xD

Or the NA/EU PC/PS2 version of Phantasy Star Universe. The Japanese version made you put in a key code, but the others didn't. But since their servers shut down sometime last year, you either had to get it for Xbox 360 or import the Japanese PC version and play on their servers.
 Ramuh.Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-08-24 17:52:34  
isn't that a MMO im not sure but CD keys in regular single player games...oh lord that ***gets cracked in a hearth beat
 Phoenix.Zeotah
By Phoenix.Zeotah 2010-08-24 17:57:36  
Ramuh.Thunderz said:
isn't that a MMO im not sure but CD keys in regular single player games...oh lord that ***gets cracked in a hearth beat
It was both essentially. The character(s) you made for online were stored server-side.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-08-24 17:57:55  
Phoenix.Zeotah said:
Ramuh.Thunderz said:

Or the NA/EU PC/PS2 version of Phantasy Star Universe. The Japanese version made you put in a key code, but the others didn't. But since their servers shut down sometime last year, you either had to get it for Xbox 360 or import the Japanese PC version and play on their servers.

Feel so bad for the PC/Ps2 side of PSU...having 5 stars in Universe 1 was godly, while 360 would have like 5 universes constantly full, along with various other special universes like JP onry and roleplay, lol.
 Ragnarok.Darkpearl
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Darkpearl
By Ragnarok.Darkpearl 2010-08-24 18:05:44  
Mhh not to be called MMORPG, I would call it MultiplayerOnlineRPG, say massive would make baby gesu cry... like many here say. I was play PSU on PC version, basically, game was pirate, tho I was paying 10 euro every months for a game with low population and with SEGA that never made soemthing good on it, start from so manyrollback because mistakes from GM when update game... and other things. I never got haked there tho. I got haked in FFXI tho. Too bad if I was haked on PSU could even cry, because SEGA isn't SE, they was too busy play WoW for help customers when need... anyway I can say pirate is bad, but spend 60 euro for a game that have longevity -> 2 hour and other bad things isn't that stealing then?I repeat piracy is bad, I'm not saying I don't download games, I do, like many in this world do it, too bad FFXI is killing my time and never play them XD
 Phoenix.Zeotah
By Phoenix.Zeotah 2010-08-24 18:10:50  
I know a lot of folks jumped over to the JP servers after the NA closure. There's still a fairly strong importer community there, but not too many of the original importers from '06 are still around.
 Carbuncle.Tyleron
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Tyleron
By Carbuncle.Tyleron 2010-08-24 18:12:26  
There is no difference between pirating songs and stealing a CD at Wal-Mart.

NONE.

First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9