Piracy, Is It Truly Wrong?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Piracy, Is it truly wrong?
Piracy, Is it truly wrong?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-24 18:13:48  
Carbuncle.Tyleron said:
There is no difference between pirating songs and stealing a CD at Wal-Mart.

NONE.

Herpaderp
 Phoenix.Zeotah
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Zeota
By Phoenix.Zeotah 2010-08-24 18:15:27  
Carbuncle.Tyleron said:

NONE.

Sure there is. Wal-mart only sells the clean versions. I forgot all about that once when I bought a CD from them several years ago and was like "where are all the obscenities?"
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-08-24 18:23:02  
Carbuncle.Tyleron said:

NONE.

Interesting point. I'm inclined to agree with you, based on principle, but that isn't exactly correct.

If you steal a CD @ Wal-Mart, two parties (at least) are being assaulted financially: both the artist who created the music, and Wal-Mart (the retailer).
When you pirate music, or movies, or w/e, you're taking the retailer out of the equation, so you're hitting the artist (and his/her recording agency) more directly and much harder in the wallet. So, you really shouldn't be surprised that the music industry is so concerned with pirating ... to them, stolen digital files is *much* more harmful than stolen CDs ... The artist basically already got paid before you steal a CD, and the burden is shared by the retailer.

Listen, digital and software piracy is nearly universally recognized as a crime that's harmful to society, by most governments across the globe. Yes, some humans will always push the limits of the law, but those same humans have no room to complain, in my opinion, if they get caught and penalized by law enforcement. The FBI and Interpol both prosecute piracy with much more zeal than you might expect.
Best advice is: don't do it.
 Ramuh.Thunderz
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-08-24 18:23:13  
Phoenix.Zeotah said:
Carbuncle.Tyleron said:

NONE.

Sure there is. Wal-mart only sells the clean versions. I forgot all about that once when I bought a CD from them several years ago and was like "where are all the obscenities?"

*** greatest xD

also to person you quoted

lol you tool
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-24 18:24:33  
I'll stop doing it when publishers treat us better.

Paying £12.00 for an album with half the songs of the debut album because they've got 'popular' is out of line imo.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-08-24 18:25:37  
When you're young, you have more time than money, and the effort involved in pirating media is worth it.

When you get older, you have more money than time, and paying for media is the only way it's worth it.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-24 18:27:52  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
When you're young, you have more time than money, and the effort involved in pirating media is worth it.

When you get older, you have more money than time, and paying for media is the only way it's worth it.

I've been called a jew before, but I'm pretty sure if there's ever a chance I can get something for free, I'll take it.

It takes longer, but it's free.

Also it's a pretty big assumption that older people are all financially sound.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-08-24 18:32:23  
It's not free, though. It's only free if your time is less valuable than whatever you stole.

For most people this isn't the case anymore past a certain point in life. For me, it was about 28.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-24 18:35:39  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
It's not free, though. It's only free if your time is less valuable than whatever you stole.

For most people this isn't the case past a certain point in life.

Assuming you're not working from home, you can leave your PC on downloading whilst doing other things. I don't see how age has anything to do with it, if anything it would make me more likely to download because Instead of suffering from slow internet speeds, I'd be out doing something else whilst it downloads.

That means on my internet speed I could technically download a film every 5 hours (lol internet I know).

Instead of dropping £20 on a brand new DVD, I'd much prefer to do that. Same with music albums, new albums take literally minutes to download at very high quality.

I can't articulate myself very well today, but the point I'm trying to make is this:

If I don't have the money to enjoy a media, then I'll download it. It may be bad, and it may be unscrupulous, but at the end of the day If I didn't download with the way our economy is, I doubt I'd ever experience new media with my rent and food costs.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-08-24 18:36:59  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

For most people this isn't the case anymore past a certain point in life. For me, it was about 28.
So you were a hellion pirate until 28?
 Ramuh.Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-08-24 18:37:40  
oh hell screw movies I still pirate that stuff

the Big screen has not impressed me in the last few years
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-08-24 18:38:48  
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

So you were a hellion pirate until 28?

Naw, Jaerik had to spend a lot of time mastering the "Hadooken" before 28; no time for pirating.
 Phoenix.Smileybone
By Phoenix.Smileybone 2010-08-24 18:39:03  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

Assuming you're not working from home, you can leave your PC on downloading whilst doing other things. The time that is spent doing other things can also be spent downloading. I don't see how age has anything to do with it, if anything it would make me more likely to download because Instead of suffering from slow internet speeds, I'd be out doing something else whilst it downloads.

That means on my internet speed I could technically download a film every 5 hours (lol internet I know).

Instead of dropping £20 on a brand new DVD, I'd much prefer to do that. Same with music albums, new albums take literally minutes to download at very high quality.

If you had a decent job you could make that money in an hour and just buy the thing and save 4 hours.
 Bismarck.Demented
user: Nrem
By Bismarck.Demented 2010-08-24 18:39:33  
Carbuncle.Tyleron said:

NONE.

Yes, in your comparison you compare intellectual property with physical property. The unauthorized usage/removal of physical property deprives the owner of something. Actus reus, mens rea; you're not depriving the owner of anything. Intellectual property is intangible and infinite, therefore cannot be considered stolen.

I do agree redistribution for profit is a felony.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-24 18:40:28  
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

Assuming you're not working from home, you can leave your PC on downloading whilst doing other things. The time that is spent doing other things can also be spent downloading. I don't see how age has anything to do with it, if anything it would make me more likely to download because Instead of suffering from slow internet speeds, I'd be out doing something else whilst it downloads.

If you had a decent job you could make that money in an hour and just buy the thing and save 4 hours.

Or download it, and put that £20.00 into a vacation fund.
 Phoenix.Smileybone
By Phoenix.Smileybone 2010-08-24 18:42:15  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

Or invest your 4 hours to make even more money.
 Ramuh.Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-08-24 18:44:25  
your missing the point when he said he would go 2 work make that money and leave his PC on to download it. Your argument is invalid

Bismarck.Demented
By Bismarck.Demented 2010-08-24 18:44:32  
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

Because everybody stares at the download bar as it progresses towards completion, and does nothing else what-so-ever.
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2010-08-24 18:44:56  
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

Or let it download while you work rly

Edit: Beat me to it etc. QQ
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-08-24 18:49:27  
Bismarck.Demented said:
of anything. Intellectual property is intangible and infinite, therefore cannot be considered stolen.

Actually, intellectual property can be "stolen", although, perhaps you mean that "steal" is not the most appropriate verb.

Governments recognize that unauthorized possession of non-physical entities that originated from another individual is a crime. That's why identity theft is a crime. We could call it identity rape or identity assault, and perhaps those would be more true-to-meaning ... but for simplicity's sake, we call it theft.

Same thing applies to piracy. The government recognizes the need to protect intellectual property; that's why we have patents and copyrights. We could call pirating "brain assault" or "mind raping" ... again, for simplicity, we term it piracy or theft.

If you want to steal/pirate other people's artwork or intellectual property, go ahead. Just be prepared to pay the consequences if you are caught. It's a crime to do it; and if you don't like that, boo-hoo.

Phoenix.Smileybone
By Phoenix.Smileybone 2010-08-24 18:49:29  
Because some people have paid big fines for pirating media.

Idk if it takes 5 hours to download a movie it would lag your computer, no?
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-24 18:50:55  
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

I would be investing it. I'd be remote controlling my PC or setting enough downloads on it so they downloaded whilst I worked.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-24 18:52:01  
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Because some people have paid big fines for pirating media.

Idk if it takes 5 hours to download a movie it would lag your computer, no?

Not really. You could put it on low or medium and still download whilst working from home. I'd rather download a film and give the £20.00 to charity.
 Phoenix.Smileybone
By Phoenix.Smileybone 2010-08-24 18:55:49  
Oh I guess there is a hole in that argument then. I was figuring the download would significantly hamper a computer.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-24 18:57:14  
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Oh I guess there is a hole in that argument then. I was figuring the download would significantly hamper a computer.

Nah, the only thing it would do is slow down internet speeds (unless you had a PC from the stoneage with windows 2000 or something on it) plus you can set the maximum download speed to keep it an acceptable level.
 Ramuh.Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-08-24 19:00:34  
The chances of getting caught is one in a million and half the people they catch are broke as hell
 Phoenix.Degs
user: Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2010-08-24 19:01:43  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

to a point i agree with this... personally with the wife and kids.. its more viable for me to go to a redbox and get a movie for a dollar and watch it on tv with them, than d/l a movie on my comp. which could be shitty quality, and spend time hooking my computer up to the tv and so forth... its just easier to spend the dollar, plus more convenient you never know what you may want to watch that night....
 Bismarck.Demented
By Bismarck.Demented 2010-08-24 19:07:34  
Bismarck.Elanabelle said:
Bismarck.Demented said:
of anything. Intellectual property is intangible and infinite, therefore cannot be considered stolen.

Actually, intellectual property can be "stolen", although, perhaps you mean that "steal" is not the most appropriate verb.

Governments recognize that unauthorized possession of non-physical entities that originated from another individual is a crime. That's why identity theft is a crime. We could call it identity rape or identity assault, and perhaps those would be more true-to-meaning ... but for simplicity's sake, we call it theft.

Same thing applies to piracy. The government recognizes the need to protect intellectual property; that's why we have patents and copyrights. We could call pirating "brain assault" or "mind raping" ... again, for simplicity, we term it piracy or theft.

If you want to steal/pirate other people's artwork or intellectual property, go ahead. Just be prepared to pay the consequences if you are caught. It's a crime to do it; and if you don't like that, boo-hoo.

This isn't a subject of whether or not it is illegal. It's a question of morality, perhaps you should pay more attention.

For instance, when you right-click on a picture of the "Mona Lisa" online, and "Save As" are you stealing that photo? Should you be fined?

For something to be considered a theft, transfer of ownership must occur. The owner has to be deprived of the item (or virtual good).
 Ramuh.Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-08-24 19:09:48  
The way society looks at it. If you lend your item to someone your stealing since that person could have "purchased/rented" the item

The only time I see it as being bad is if im profiting from it. Making CDs of copied games and selling them but this is not the case
 Fenrir.Schutz
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2010-08-24 19:33:16  
Bismarck.Demented said:
This isn't a subject of whether or not it is illegal. It's a question of morality, perhaps you should pay more attention. For instance, when you right-click on a picture of the "Mona Lisa" online, and "Save As" are you stealing that photo? Should you be fined? For something to be considered a theft, transfer of ownership must occur. The owner has to be deprived of the item (or virtual good).

The notion of "IP" goes beyond simple file-sharing--it encompasses things like industrial espionage, state secrets, patents, etc. I am sure the Chinese government would like to portray their spies operating in the US in the aerospace and nuclear energy sectors as "copying data for personal distribution", but the US government (and affected businesses) prefer to see it as "theft of trade and technological secrets" no? :p

Certainly in many cases (but obviously not all) nothing physical was removed or taken away and proprietary ownership of the information was never shifted, but the benefit gained from the information in the "copying" process is monumental. The government treats this very much as theft, even though the procedures/operations to do the "copying" might be the same as those used in pirating digital movies.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9