Piracy, Is It Truly Wrong?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Piracy, Is it truly wrong?
Piracy, Is it truly wrong?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Phoenix.Smileybone
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
By Phoenix.Smileybone 2010-08-24 13:41:05  
Bahamut.Zorander said:
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
I too think pirating is wrong, and can proudly say I have never pirated any music, movies, or video games!
Never? You've never own'd a burned cd? You've never borrowed a game from a friend?

Alright fine maybe borrowing a game doesn't count but you get my point. I am almost 100% sure in some sort of way you have benefited from something pirated.

Hmm. I don't personally own any burnt C.D.s or pirated games or anything. I suppose the closest I've ever come to pirating is listening to music on YouTube.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-08-24 13:41:12  
Asura.Bartimaeus said:
OH no.

Popcorn. POPCORN, PLS
 Odin.Yakoo
サーバ: Odin
user: Yakoo
By Odin.Yakoo 2010-08-24 13:42:23  
The best thing is that people say "oh no! i dont wanna buy this game because its too expensive! but im gonna download it illegal so i can check it and maybe i will buy it?!" or "this game sucks to be payed but im gonna download it!"

double moral standard...
 Bahamut.Serj
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2010-08-24 13:42:51  
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:

yeah, cz most of us Catholics would prefer to test drive the product before buying it

So you're just *** HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE then.
 Gilgamesh.Astrida
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: Astrida
By Gilgamesh.Astrida 2010-08-24 13:43:25  
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
Bahamut.Zorander said:
I didn't read the whole thread so I will only say this..

IMO.

Yes it is wrong..But then again so is speeding.

And I always speed.
its human nature to do the wrong thing even though we know its wrong.

Speeding, smoking, pre-marital sex, violence, drinking, pirating... take your pick.
:D
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-08-24 13:44:17  
Bahamut.Serj said:
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:

yeah, cz most of us Catholics would prefer to test drive the product before buying it

no, I just love sex
 Bahamut.Serj
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2010-08-24 13:46:14  
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
Bahamut.Serj said:
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:

no, I just love sex

I meant your rebuttal, since it was agreeing with me.
 Bahamut.Zorander
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-08-24 13:47:05  
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
Bahamut.Serj said:
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
no, I just love sex
After listening to you post I'd guess its a little of both.
 Phoenix.Zeotah
user: Zeota
By Phoenix.Zeotah 2010-08-24 13:47:40  
I've pirated my share of stuff, but for the most part stayed away from movies. As humans, we like to test the limits of what we can get away with. Of course there are the less fortunate ones out there who got caught and are still having to work 3 jobs to pay off those RIAA settlements.
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-08-24 13:49:06  
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Bahamut.Zorander said:
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
I too think pirating is wrong, and can proudly say I have never pirated any music, movies, or video games!
Never? You've never own'd a burned cd? You've never borrowed a game from a friend? Alright fine maybe borrowing a game doesn't count but you get my point. I am almost 100% sure in some sort of way you have benefited from something pirated.
Hmm. I don't personally own any burnt C.D.s or pirated games or anything. I suppose the closest I've ever come to pirating is listening to music on YouTube.
So if you didn't buy that music then you are enjoying that without purchasing it which means you are partaking in pirated activites...unless of course the actual bands place the videos on YouTube.
 Fenrir.Tool
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-24 13:51:10  
Based on some of the logic I see here, you may as well close your eyes and cover your ears if you witness a source of media you didn't purchase yourself.

Herp derp.
[+]
 Phoenix.Smileybone
By Phoenix.Smileybone 2010-08-24 13:56:12  
Bahamut.Zorander said:
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Bahamut.Zorander said:
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Never? You've never own'd a burned cd? You've never borrowed a game from a friend? Alright fine maybe borrowing a game doesn't count but you get my point. I am almost 100% sure in some sort of way you have benefited from something pirated.
So if you didn't buy that music then you are enjoying that without purchasing it which means you are partaking in pirated activites...unless of course the actual bands place the videos on YouTube.

Except for the part where I don't make a copy and download it to my computer. But yes I see your point which is why I said it was the closest thing to pirating I've ever done.
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-08-24 13:56:38  
It's not completely untrue that Youtube is a form of pirating.

Unless the content is completely user-generated or initially distributed via a free service, someone, somewhere, had to rip it from a CD, copy an MP3 file, or record it somewhere to get it to youtube.

In this case, youtube viewers are not in the wrong, regardless.
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-08-24 13:58:56  
I'm just playing devils advocate here for kicks..

Listening to the radio doesn't count as they have contracts with bands and the different studios.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-08-24 13:59:14  

Bad quality, but seemed relevant.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-08-24 14:00:50  
oh well, point is... you all will still download movies and music, its never going to stop unless the government rounds up everyone...

until then, you can either enjoy shelling out money for shitty music or a shitty movie, or download and save your money for more important endeavors
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-08-24 14:29:24  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Person A doesn't buy the product/doesn't use it: The person gets no entertainment value, the product gets no word of mouth, there is no chance of auxiliary income (from merchandise, other media, etc)

Person B pirates the product and uses it: The person gets entertained, if they like it they will likely recommend it to other people and give it some publicity, if they like it enough they may buy merchandise related to the product.

That's my basic stand on Piracy.

I'm just wondering what peoples basic stand on piracy is.

As to the OP the general idea here is sound imo (/shocked)

I used to download tons of games back in the day. Now 5yrs+ later I legally own most of the games I enjoyed.

Nowadays it's mostly TV shows I download, once in awhile a movie here and there. I always download my favorite bands' cds. Once the market is full of them I'll the buy the CD, mainly to support them eventually. But that's neither here nor there.

Boxed sets of TV show tho, no thanks! Could just as easily Tivo em and convert em back to PC, nothing illegal there.

Ninja EDIT: Right and Wrong are relative terms. People tend to forget that and just side with the current laws. Juding what is right and wrong based on laws, by gov't or by ughh eww churches, is the absolute wrong here as I see it.
 Fairy.Spence
サーバ: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2010-08-24 14:32:44  
I kinda like to collect DVD's and stuff, so I usually buy them. Music I pirate, because I typically have such messed up taste, I'll never know what I'll like and I could lose a lot of money. Please keep in mind, I'm not trying to justify it by saying that.

I buy games now, because I buy maybe 1 or 2 games a year and actually have an income now,

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
By AdamChiro 2010-08-24 14:40:21  
its ok having your stuff pirated if it aids you in spreading the word about your product. the days of making loads of money from having an album (musically speaking), are kind of gone.

Performers make their bones form performing. so in a way, it clears out all the "one time" douches..
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-08-24 14:44:22  
Fairy.Spence said:
I kinda like to collect DVD's and stuff, so I usually buy them. Music I pirate, because I typically have such messed up taste, I'll never know what I'll like and I could lose a lot of money. Please keep in mind, I'm not trying to justify it by saying that.

I buy games now, because I buy maybe 1 or 2 games a year and actually have an income now,
You have no reason to justify your actions here.

Ppl keeping saying all this "pirating" is hurting the industry, namely raising prices.... really?!

#1 New game prices have been consistent since NES was out, if anything PC games are cheaper now then say like 6 years ago.

#2 For all the morality OCD ppl, steam's model has worked quite well.

#3 If Mp3, videos, movies, etc. were really hurting companies, they would be out of business, stop producing any new material, and no one would work hard to start up a new band.

There's more, but common ppl, this is just more propaganda from business, looking for an escape goat for crappy projects.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
By AdamChiro 2010-08-24 14:51:56  
pirating movies is a bit different than music...

the amount of hands and hours that go into a "movie-pie"
are far greater than a bands album.

granted, theatre sales at least deliver the investment back to all those involved, but, it still seems like true thievery..

most anyone can make music in their basement and put it on the interscam, but to make a full blown motion picture, well that's a diff story.
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Flunklesnarkin 2010-08-24 14:53:47  
I love how people try to rationalize stealing games.

It's illegal, but its easy so you do it. I do it. Get use to the fact that you steal.

If a company wanted to give it away for free they would do it for word of mouth publicity like portal's did with steam.

No need for any long winded arguments that you aren't stealing.

If you really want to feel better about it .. you can buy the game after the fact if you really liked it to support the company. I do that sometimes if the game is good.. if it isn't they can go to hell for wasting my time >_>
[+]
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-08-24 15:05:14  
Siren.Flunklesnarkin said:

It's illegal, but its easy so you do it. I do it. Get use to the fact that you steal.

If a company wanted to give it away for free they would do it for word of mouth publicity like portal's did with steam.

If you really want to feel better about it .. you can buy the game after the fact if you really liked it to support the company.
[+]
 Valefor.Angeluzun
サーバ: Valefor
user: Angeluzun
By Valefor.Angeluzun 2010-08-24 15:05:27  
AdamChiro said:

granted, theatre sales at least deliver the investment back to all those involved, but, it still seems like true thievery..

most anyone can make music in their basement and put it on the interscam, but to make a full blown motion picture, well that's a diff story.

sounds like you never heard of this little piece
 Ramuh.Vinvv
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-08-24 15:14:35  
Siren.Flunklesnarkin said:

If you really want to feel better about it .. you can buy the game after the fact if you really liked it to support the company. I do that sometimes if the game is good.. if it isn't they can go to hell for wasting my time >_>
I have an R4 on my DS but I still buy DS games from time to time :/

Actually ***..I own all the games on my R4 so I'm not the greatest example of a pirate with that.
Yay 30+ games all in one :D
AdamChiro said:

That depends on how syndicated the band is.
A lot of people want in on the pie either way.

I say if you make good product I'll buy, if you don't...I won't.
By AdamChiro 2010-08-24 15:18:35  
@ Angeluzun.

No, i had never seen that. I'll watch the whole thing later tonight.

Have they done any other true features?

Perhaps, and i don't know, was this their first?
It could be used to stimulate a buzz and then later make a big one that would be on a larger scale?

At that point, i'd assume they wouldn't want to give it away and retrieve some of their expenses.

Yet, i don't know all the details.

But, i see your point.. =)
By AdamChiro 2010-08-24 15:23:47  
@ Vinvv

Yeah,man. the product is the product is the product.

True story.

Maybe im trying to defend the fact of how many people it takes to make a piece of Art happen?

Movies > music.

Depending on the scale of the movie, of course.
I can make a film by myself.

Would it be as great as a major one? No.
But then it's a battle of artistry over collective enjoyment.

and that's off thread. my bad.

It just seems music is far more capapble of existing without massive production than a movie is.

This, being based on the principles that each is judged by.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-08-24 15:26:45  
didnt read the whole thread, sorry if repost.

[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9