users online
フォーラム » FFXIAH.com » News » New people here on FFXIAH
New people here on FFXIAH
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
By Artemicion 2012-05-04 13:11:38  
Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Artemicion said: »
Bahamut.Savannahlynn said: »
No...If you give people a color they are going to be a mentor just for that and not actually to help anyone.

I'd be up to mods and admins to approve submissions for a mentor position. They'd have to prove their worth to become one before they can gloat their colors. Besides, we only really need a small handful. Not everyone worth their salt in regards to in-game knowledge needs one.

I would hope those seeking information would know when people are generally helpful and those that are being sarcastic and rude. The mentor thing is just a nice little "seal of approval" kind of thing in regards to getting FFXI questions answered.

The other problem is that mods and admins would have to make sure that those who receive mentor status would be people who are not eager to bite those with legitimate questions.

Yeah, it has to be a balance of knowledge and patience/friendliness. Luckily mods tend to have a good idea of those more trustworthy than others.
[+]
By Artemicion 2012-05-04 13:13:46  
Caitsith.Blurr said: »
What happened to people just asking what they wanted to ask, however "dumb or unnecessary".. and mods just deleting rude and overly trolled comments/handing out infractions when/where need be ? Lock the thread after sufficient advice has been giving to said "new players", or whatever. Like someone said earlier, q's get answered within a few posts (most of the time at least), and its pretty much easy to figure out where to cut the thread off.

Looks like a lot of discussion for nothing.. imo

Because the mods can't babysit everyone at all times.
It's not their job to make sure everyone stays in line.
This thread exists because people need to be reminded to practice self-control and self-moderation when it comes to things like this.

The mentor idea is simply a way to let the problem solve itself with minimum intervention.
[+]
 Fenrir.Minjo
サーバ: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Tsuko
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-05-04 13:15:15  
Bahamut.Savannahlynn said: »
No...If you give people a color they are going to be a mentor just for that and not actually to help anyone.

I'd be up to mods and admins to approve submissions for a mentor position. They'd have to prove their worth to become one before they can gloat their colors. Besides, we only really need a small handful. Not everyone worth their salt in regards to in-game knowledge needs one.

I would hope those seeking information would know when people are generally helpful and those that are being sarcastic and rude. The mentor thing is just a nice little "seal of approval" kind of thing in regards to getting FFXI questions answered.

I'm going to have to disagree entirely. The moderation team has shown on many an occasion that they're not the least bit interested in correctness. Based on our individual posting styles, people like Nightfyre, Prothescar, Austar, and myself, who typically stand to offer the most accurate and unbiased advice available on this forum have virtually no chance of consideration. It disturbs me to imagine who would be selected when smashing as many rainbows and smiles into a post as one can takes indisputable precedence over providing valid information.
[+]
 Bismarck.Flavin
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Flavin
By Bismarck.Flavin 2012-05-04 13:15:40  
What happened to people just asking what they wanted to ask, however "dumb or unnecessary".. and mods just deleting rude and overly trolled comments/handing out infractions when/where need be ? Lock the thread after sufficient advice has been giving to said "new players", or whatever. Like someone said earlier, q's get answered within a few posts (most of the time at least), and its pretty much easy to figure out where to cut the thread off. Looks like a lot of discussion for nothing.. imo
Or... people just don't reply if they have nothing worthwhile to say and the thread dies on it's own...
[+]
By Artemicion 2012-05-04 13:17:26  
Ironically, I would have nominated you Minjo.
You've never let anyone stray down the wrong path. Though, your articulation may seem a bit cold to most that humbly seek knowledge, or currently stand in the wrong.

However, I rather not have friendliness be mistaken for rainbows and sunshine. Answers typically never need to be sugar-coated. Accurate, blunt, direct answers will suffice greatly. If further articulation is required, I am sure you are able to deliver. If someone is unable to accept advice or answers to their questions without painting it with unnecessary words of kindness, then they were likely better off left to their own devices in the first place.
[+]
 Fenrir.Minjo
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Tsuko
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-05-04 13:20:51  
Ironically, I would have nominated you Minjo.
You've never let anyone stray down the wrong path. Though, your articulation may seem a bit cold to most that humbly seek knowledge, or currently stand in the wrong.

I genuinely appreciate that, but that isn't how the staff feels. For better worse or for worse, politeness takes precedence over accuracy, which strips such a system of a key, necessary element.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
サーバ: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2012-05-04 13:21:40  
I was thinking that Nightfyre wouldn't be a bad choice either. He seems calm, cool, and collected for the most part, but I can see where he hits the wall sometimes. Then again, who doesn't?
[+]
 Bismarck.Flavin
By Bismarck.Flavin 2012-05-04 13:24:00  
I elect KFH and Sevourn!
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-05-04 13:25:06  
Gear threads should stay where they are, and do what they do. There shouldn't be "job" or "gear" mentors. There's too much opinion involved, and it'd be too heavy a requirement on volunteers to research individual questions.
[+]
By Artemicion 2012-05-04 13:26:03  
Doesn't need to be a colored bar either. I was thinking maybe a little "M" stamp like the one in FFXI. You can put it an empty space like here:

[+]
 Asura.Tigredor
サーバ: Asura
user: Tigredor
By Asura.Tigredor 2012-05-04 13:27:03  
Bahamut.Zellc said: »
in this day and age of the internet, i feel as though it is deemed "cool" to be negative or wittily rude. i think this is due to the anonymous nature of the internet, saying whatever you want without re-precaution. unfortunately, as time passes, i see this behavior move into the realm of real life. im not saying everyone should be nice all the time, but it would be nice for people to not be treated like ***when they are genuinely seeking answers.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/repercussion <~ Is that the word you're looking for?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bismarck.Flavin
By Bismarck.Flavin 2012-05-04 13:28:31  
Asura.Tigredor said: »
in this day and age of the internet, i feel as though it is deemed "cool" to be negative or wittily rude. i think this is due to the anonymous nature of the internet, saying whatever you want without re-precaution. unfortunately, as time passes, i see this behavior move into the realm of real life. im not saying everyone should be nice all the time, but it would be nice for people to not be treated like ***when they are genuinely seeking answers.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/repercussion <~ Is that the word you're looking for?
Seriously? is your life really that empty?
[+]
By Artemicion 2012-05-04 13:30:38  
Josiahkf said: »
Fenrir.Minjo said: »
I'm going to have to disagree entirely. The moderation team has shown on many an occasion that they're not the least bit interested in correctness. Based on our individual posting styles, people like Nightfyre, Prothescar, Austar, and myself, who typically stand to offer the most accurate and unbiased advice available on this forum have virtually no chance of consideration. It disturbs me to imagine who would be selected when smashing as many rainbows and smiles into a post as one can takes indisputable precedence over providing valid information.
There is no need to be dramatic, I'm sure you see the point trying to be made. you four are not incapable of using tact though and making a choice not to use it at times can obviously hinder your goal, regardless of being right or wrong. If you want your message to reach more people, planning your posts' tone better might assist that?

if this site was based purely on information given yes I'd agree with art and nominate you.

Indeed, humility works both ways.
[+]
VIP
By alyria 2012-05-04 13:34:55  
i do like the stamp idea.

and we cant stop ppl from making a thread...
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-05-04 13:37:33  
Ew a stamp! *retires the submission*
 Caitsith.Blurr
サーバ: Caitsith
user: blurr69
By Caitsith.Blurr 2012-05-04 13:38:32  

This thread exists because people need to be reminded to practice self-control and self-moderation when it comes to things like this.

The mentor idea is simply a way to let the problem solve itself with minimum intervention.

What is a moderators job ? Moderate. If the couple there are cant keep the site more or less clean, if thats the preferred state, maybe take on a few more mods ? All other forums I frequent (quite a few) are either using non existent moderation or have a dedicated team patrolling/listening to peoples reports/complaints. This is pretty much he only tweener I know of.

Either do away with the mod'ing (since it is after all the lulternet) or do it "better", imo. Just telling people to play nice, and not enforcing... ya know.. pretty much is just like grade school.
By volkom 2012-05-04 13:38:59  
Doesn't need to be a colored bar either. I was thinking maybe a little "M" stamp like the one in FFXI. You can put it an empty space like here:

can i get one with like

"yoruichi's # 1 fan" ?
 Ramuh.Laffter
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2012-05-04 13:39:28  
volkom said: »

can i get one with like

"yoruichi's # 1 fan" ?
You don't need a badge for people to know that, it just shows.
[+]
By Artemicion 2012-05-04 13:42:59  

What is a moderators job ? Moderate. If the couple there are cant keep the site more or less clean, if thats the preferred state, maybe take on a few more mods ? All other forums I frequent (quite a few) are either using non existent moderation or have a dedicated team patrolling/listening to peoples reports/complaints. This is pretty much he only tweener I know of.

Either do away with the mod'ing (since it is after all the lulternet) or do it "better", imo. Just telling people to play nice, and not enforcing... ya know.. pretty much is just like grade school.

Unlike the forums you visit, we don't have a dedicated team of rule enforcement or people up and online around the clock to listen and answer to people's inquiries or complaints. We have very few self-volunteered moderators, and admins that intended this site as a fun side project; not a job or obligation. So is it really so hard to believe that what few moderators we have ask the community to practice self control, or do you honestly expect 2-3 people to consistently solve all the problems of the hundreds of posters we have?

It's as much your job to not be a jerk, as it is their job to take care of jerks.
[+]
VIP
By alyria 2012-05-04 13:45:10  
dont need any mods right now.

its only an idea. which would only be a status like the vip. it would be no powers... so the cant clean up anything.
 Asura.Tigredor
サーバ: Asura
user: Tigredor
By Asura.Tigredor 2012-05-04 13:48:02  
Bismarck.Flavin said: »

Seeing as he spelled the word very specifically using a correct prefix (re-) put together with a correctly spelled word (precaution), I can only assume that he really believes that "re-precaution" is a real word. It's not like he misspelled repercussion. Obviously re-precaution is not correct.
Now, would you rather I let him go and actually use the word "re-precaution" while out in the cold cruel RL that we all dread so much and possibly get truly ridiculed (or at least slightly embarrased after being corrected), or let him know now for future reference?

Why so butthurt anyway? It's not like I said "zomg u sux at teh vocabularyz dood hahaha".
 Bismarck.Flavin
By Bismarck.Flavin 2012-05-04 13:49:34  
Bismarck.Flavin said: »
Seeing as he spelled the word very specifically using a correct prefix (re-) put together with a correctly spelled word (precaution), I can only assume that he really believes that "re-precaution" is a real word. It's not like he misspelled repercussion. Obviously re-precaution is not correct. Now, would you rather I let him go and actually use the word "re-precaution" while out in the cold cruel RL that we all dread so much and possibly get truly ridiculed (or at least slightly embarrased after being corrected), or let him know now for future reference? Why so butthurt anyway? It's not like I said "zomg u sux at teh vocabularyz dood hahaha".
Yes.
 Bismarck.Sylow
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-05-04 13:50:59  
Perhaps it would be highly beneficial if, as a community, we developed a "What Makes A Good Thread" guide to which we could direct newish/clueless posters?
By Artemicion 2012-05-04 13:51:43  
Aly Saxena said: »
dont need any mods right now.

its only an idea. which would only be a status like the vip. it would be no powers... so the cant clean up anything.

A blue bar would be nice, but people do tend to over-react over colored bars, heh.
But if we do go through with the mentor program, a few folks would more than suffice for approved mentors. Perhaps two to three, no more than five. Also I'd happily nominate Minjo, Nightfyre, and Austar. They're very keen on game mechanics and formulas, and despite the Vulcan nature of a few, they're invaluable providers of accurate information, and can (relatively) practice necessary self-control to those that would humbly seek information.
By Artemicion 2012-05-04 13:53:17  
Bismarck.Sylow said: »
Perhaps it would be highly beneficial if, as a community, we developed a "What Makes A Good Thread" guide to which we could direct newish/clueless posters?

I think a good start would be stickying (if not already) the random FFXI question thread. Perhaps even giving it it's own dedicated link on the front page for newcomers to see so redundant threads don't pop up as frequently. Perhaps even add some flare or emphasis on the search buttons.

Or even better, have a page pop up for those creating new threads to check over to see if they have not already used the search button or visited existing threads on such matters. A prompted guideline and checklist for people to see before a whole new thread is created needlessly.
By Drjones 2012-05-04 13:53:35  
Bismarck.Sylow said: »
That would require them to read it before posting a thread of their own. If they're doing that then they're probably bright enough to use a search function and not make a terrible thread to begin with.
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-05-04 13:55:46  
but people do tend to over-react over colored bars
What are you talking about?
Now give me my goddamn coloured bar or I kill you all!!
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9