フォーラム » FFXIAH.com » News » New people here on FFXIAH
New people here on FFXIAH
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Bismarck.Sylow
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-05-04 22:15:12  
Bahamut.Bekisa said: »
7+ page thread going all because people were told to stop being *** and help out new players ... sounds just like these forums. Handful of helpers and the rest forgot what it was like to be new and pretend they made their characters with gear already in place.

Thanks, while the rest of us are discussing ways to improve the site for both new/inexperienced users, and veterans alike, you can pass judgment and preach like a cranky old man. I think I speak for everyone when I say we're absolutely indebted to your vast and illuminated insight.
[+]
 Remora.Morphius
サーバ: Remora
user: Morphius
By Remora.Morphius 2012-05-04 22:19:48  
Bismarck.Sylow said: »
7+ page thread going all because people were told to stop being *** and help out new players ... sounds just like these forums. Handful of helpers and the rest forgot what it was like to be new and pretend they made their characters with gear already in place.

Thanks, while the rest of us are discussing ways to improve the site for both new/inexperienced users, and veterans alike, you can pass judgment and preach like a cranky old man. I think I speak for everyone when I say we're absolutely indebted to your vast and illuminated insight.
Yes :)

Mentor badge idea is cool and sticks with the theme of the game :3
Newbie section for newbie type questions is often found in many forums, I think people would find it pretty standard and use it. :D
By sefalon 2012-05-04 22:38:02  
I dont post a lot on for a lot of the same reasons. Plus now that I am in my 30s with 2 kids I get angry a lot faster than I used to and when someone is rude to me I react. It is a lot easier to just keep reading post after post and hope someone talks about what you want to hear. When I ask a question I normally am looking for a persons experiance with said job, weapon , or gear. I am not asking some person to do math and figure out exact numbers and ideal sets I may never obtain (now I still like to see that also)
but It is more of a "Hey I noticed X amount of people are using this weapon, is it any good? You remember all the JP players using the MA ACC swords.. I have a str one but there was so many I had to ask why.. I got a lot of dont worry about it they are stupid stick with str. (Even then I was like what am I missing)
I made a straight str sword on bst a long time ago and people were like "You dont make that for you, you make it for your pet". ( I am glad I didnt listen cause my bst ws like a champ)

If i ask a question in BST forum I get people with their high POST count and lvl 1 bst telling me the answer. If I say that I am looking for actual bst to give his opinion with said question, than its met with several ELITE HATERS that want to tell me its not hard to do the math or look on wikki ( which is a joke nowadays). Some of the people on here are pretty awesome and still answer even when they have before and I aprecciate that.

I try to read up on optimal Ukon sets on 30+ pages and their is so much POST COUNT filler and "Your stupid why you using thid" than what I am actually looking for.

My last point and sorry for rambling 6 pack of Heiny does that..

I read that entire post in the Blue forum that Prothescar got so heated over and the poster made a mistake by saying IDEAL set and it wasnt Ideal and I agree about that but did 20 other people besides pro have to get in on the argument and make him look like a tool. And the whole like the post thing actually encourages people to be rude. I probably wont get a like on here but if I said DERP DERP... or UM NO or maybe posted a pimpchan pic id probably get 20+
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2012-05-05 01:24:06  

Bekisa is a cranky old man.
But he's a good cranky old man.

As another cranky old man, I'd say, you've been a super douche in these forums over the past week, Sylow.
What happened to get your panties all bunched-up recently, bud?
 Bismarck.Sylow
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-05-05 01:33:30  
My computer crashed.

That said, a good portion of these eight pagesbene havebeen dircted toward benevolent suggestions for the good of this site.

Bekisa's post was entirely unwarranted.
 Asura.Malekith
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2012-05-05 01:37:23  
So after 8 pages of this, these seem to be the main justifications for the way people are... How does any of this make any sense?

#1.We are tired of seeing the same questions! - you know some days reading through ffxiah.com is like reading a newspaper. Every day same ***. Am I supposed to get mad at the writers for running the same stories? Hell no, I just scan through to what may be relevant to me and eventually move onto the funnies and the sports pages...

#2. Hey now we have to stop misinformation! - Just wondering who appointed whom defender of the realm, keeper of truth? Is your life that empty that you have to patrol these forums and drop the hammer on everyone you feel deserves it just because they're not as knowledgeable/ experienced as you?

#3. Bluntness + Accuracy > Politeness + Accuracy! - Since when? Did any of you people have teachers or parents or family members act that way towards you when you asked a question? If so, I really feel sorry for you.

TL;DR: I don't think I've ever seen Scragg, Jaerik or any of the mods come in here and post according to any of these 3 rationales... If they can skim, skip, ignore why can't other people do the same?
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2012-05-05 01:50:19  
Love it... my name is attached and people flag... It's a wonder why I even post anymore, but hey this is the sort of bullying I despise and won't run from. So have fun... report everything I post and in the meantime I'll wait to hear from a mod.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Terminus
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2012-05-05 01:58:47  
Asura.Malekith said: »
So after 8 pages of this, these seem to be the main justifications for the way people are... How does any of this make any sense?

#1.We are tired of seeing the same questions! - you know some days reading through ffxiah.com is like reading a newspaper. Every day same ***. Am I supposed to get mad at the writers for running the same stories? Hell no, I just scan through to what may be relevant to me and eventually move onto the funnies and the sports pages...

Quote:
Bump!

Quote:
Still waiting on an answer to this....

Quote:
Can anyone help me out here?

Quote:
I guess no one knows....

#2. Hey now we have to stop misinformation! - Just wondering who appointed whom defender of the realm, keeper of truth? Is your life that empty that you have to patrol these forums and drop the hammer on everyone you feel deserves it just because they're not as knowledgeable/ experienced as you?

I don't really know what you're saying here. Are you saying that the people that do know shouldn't share what they know? Or that people that do care and really enjoy a particular job (for example) shouldn't share that? Or that many of the arguments made against the people that really know aren't rude and belligerent themselves? (Cause they are.) Yeah, I know that if someone else is rude, that doesn't give anyone else an excuse to act the same way, but, most everyone here are in fact flawed people.

#3. Bluntness + Accuracy > Politeness + Accuracy! - Since when? Did any of you people have teachers or parents or family members act that way towards you when you asked a question? If so, I really feel sorry for you.

Similarly, why should a reply to a question go any further into the world of politeness than the question? Many of the things people get upset about go like this:

Quote:
Is X gear good?

Quote:
No.

It ties into both #1 and #2. Ignore the question? Reply in kind?

It's been my experience that if you are nice, you explain your situation, reference your level of skill and knowledge, and describe your abilities, you'll get an answer that is polite, complete, and appropriate. But if you simply blurt out a question, some simply blurts out an answer.

And really, at least to me, what was just said is an example of something you left out of your list. I mean, do you actually feel sorry for for me if know (or care deeply about) a person who has a very direct communication style? (Or is that just a passive aggressive statement that you feel superior to that person?) I'd say that's less my problem and more yours. If you prefer gentle encouragement, that's great. Other people might side with direct challenges - which is just as great.

Really, though, too, there are A LOT of people around here with A LOT of ffxi knowledge. There's likely a good "fit" for anyone's preferred learning style. I think an alternative good solution would be more people finding someone who they respect and like and who has the knowledge of the topic they're trying to learn about, and actually building a relationship with that person rather than popping in, asking for help, then complaining that you don't like the help other people volunteered to give you. The questioners would be happier, and, since it'd be more of a 1 on 1 thing, the rest of the community could celebrate the reduced repetition in the forums. I don't know.

PS, I can't operate quotes in forums, sorry. :\
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-05-05 02:08:19  

Kudos to you for thinking spam is appropriate on a forum.

Quote:

Clearly directed at me. So, when your math teacher taught you that 2+2 didn't equal pudding, did you get mad at them too?

Quote:

Politeness works up until the student becomes disrespectful, then they require some discipline. If they can't handle bluntness then they shouldn't have disrespected whoever was trying to help them.

Quote:
TL;DR: I don't think I've ever seen Scragg, Jaerik or any of the mods come in here and post according to any of these 3 rationales... If they can skim, skip, ignore why can't other people do the same?

Apples, meet oranges.
[+]
 Fenrir.Terminus
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2012-05-05 02:08:49  
Love it... my name is attached and people flag... It's a wonder why I even post anymore, but hey this is the sort of bullying I despise and won't run from. So have fun... report everything I post and in the meantime I'll wait to hear from a mod.

I don't mean this to sound trollish, but to me, you not backing down from this kind of behavior is a lot like somone not letting bad game advice slide and being there to correct it. (the "Defenders of the Realm.")

But I'm not here actually questioning anything - this post or the one before. There are posts I like and those that I don't. I can, as you suggest, ignore most of the ones I don't. Just throwing in a different perspective. Gnight!

Edit: I bet Prothescar quoted all that stuff right the first time! :D
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-05-05 02:16:29  
Fenrir.Terminus said: »
Edit: I bet Prothescar quoted all that stuff right the first time! :D

<3 ofc I did, I'm a keeper of truth

shiiiit, if FFXIAH ever gets user titles I totally want that one. sort of miss when it used to use for FFXI title as your forum title
By sefalon 2012-05-05 02:22:04  
It doesnt suit well for this site when I post my concerns and why I feel like I cant post on here without getting into a argument and my post gets moderated.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2012-05-05 02:24:09  
Not getting into a quote war having to explain myself and the observations I made. They are simple enough to understand and if you don't get what I'm getting at, then skip down to the TL:DR footnote I added.

Look those who reply do so for many motivations, but I can be certain that being paid is definitely not one of them. Since folks are not reaping any monetary benefit I can understand that there are now limits to how cordial/polite they may be willing to be in responding. Yet, what's your incentive for being rude? Momentary bump in self-worth because you "showed someone how wrong they were?"

People speak of repetition of threads? How are clones of threads any worse than clones of pics we see on the front page? The hundreds of almace/kanagi/insert relic name/cosplay/silly screen shot pics that parade across the front page on a daily basis? All this stuff drives traffic here and hopefully drives some revenue as well.
 Asura.Karbuncle
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2012-05-05 02:24:49  
Trying to turn FFXIAH into a den of politeness is like attempting to turn the Ocean into Freshwater. I mean, Even people having discussion here are reporting Malekith's post simply because he's posting. forums are breeding ground for pettiness.

Personally, I support the idea of trying to friendly things up a bit, But that goes against the fundamental nature of about 90% of FFXIAH's population, and that is, Being rude/arrogant/condescending to look cool and score points with other people who do the same... Which is... also true 90% of the internet Forums in the world, SO its not really FFXIAH.

Its more or less Humanity. The anonymous appeal to a forums gives people an outlet for their d*ckish behavior they normally wouldn't exhibit in public. You just can't suppress some peoples need to be an arrogant know-it-all to people who ask questions, Only method they'll understand is a swift hammer to the bansticles.

That being said, I think creating a Sticky similar to the Random Question Thread or "What's Better" BG has could solve some amount of the inane questions asked daily.
[+]
 Bahamut.Serj
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2012-05-05 02:28:48  
Yet, what's your incentive for being rude?

Idk, you tell us why you are.
[+]
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2012-05-05 02:30:54  
For those that think I was writting for them, if the shoe fits...

Pardon me if I've never had teachers/role models/family curse/scream at me if I got a factual answer to a question wrong. Different story if I set the house on fire. But we're talking about dealing with folks on here who aren't as pro as some of the others on here want to believe.

Spam? Since when did any of us not named Jaerik/Scragg/(insert mod name here) get the ability to decide whose posts are spam/ garbage? Literally what's stopping you from moving on/ ignoring stuff that you consider spam/garbage? Let the people who run this place do their job instead of taking it upon yourself to defend the realm as it were?
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
user: stikle
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2012-05-05 02:33:35  
I've no idea what's been going on, clearly something.

But all this "defending the realm" talk really makes me impatient for the next Game of Thrones episode.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2012-05-05 02:36:20  
Fenrir.Stiklelf said: »
I've no idea what's been going on, clearly something.
Sometimes you gotta feed the trolls, otherwise they start spilling into other threads.
[+]
 Siren.Fupafighters
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Fupafighters 2012-05-05 02:49:53  
Can someone link me to a good thread for attachment setups and frame setups for say rng blm and whm frames for puppetmaster that work the best? I'm still trying to get the hang of what seems to work best. >.< Trust me, I looked. All I find is crap from like 2010.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-05-05 03:02:16  
You have to be getting paid to want to hold up an appropriate level of correct information? News to me.

"Being pro" usually goes in tandem with being learned about something, however sharing that knowledge is a boon rather than some sort of malefic influence on a community. Using an example from a recent thread that you and I were a part of, it was pointed out to you that your offhand sword of choice was poor. So, when faced with evidence for this, you went behind the banner of essentially "not everyone is as pro as you are at this game, I play to have fun" and having a generally disrespectful tone towards people who were attempting to be helpful in the thread.

These situations bring the brash and bluntness out of me onto the heads of randoms. I can't speak for others, but that's me.
 Phoenix.Ladyjazz
Premium
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Ladyjazz
By Phoenix.Ladyjazz 2012-05-05 03:07:30  
reaperofsoul said: »
As a lurker who posts almost never I would have to say, a perma sticky section would be what I would like to see the most if it was possible.

I agree that having a list of some of the FAQs for a section is rather common for forums in general and many/most WILL take a look here first.

Would make it easy to say... Look in the FAQs of "ForumSection" for helpful threads/links.
 Bismarck.Sylow
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-05-05 03:13:08  
I still say that having a "Noob Corner" would be a good idea. I'd even be willing to write it up.
 Ramuh.Sagittario
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2012-05-05 03:16:42  
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
You have to be getting paid to want to hold up an appropriate level of correct information? News to me.

"Being pro" usually goes in tandem with being learned about something, however sharing that knowledge is a boon rather than some sort of malefic influence on a community. Using an example from a recent thread that you and I were a part of, it was pointed out to you that your offhand sword of choice was poor. So, when faced with evidence for this, you went behind the banner of essentially "not everyone is as pro as you are at this game, I play to have fun" and having a generally disrespectful tone towards people who were attempting to be helpful in the thread.

These situations bring the brash and bluntness out of me onto the heads of randoms. I can't speak for others, but that's me.

You have to be getting paid to be polite to people aswell it seems. I really hope that he was joking.
 Ramuh.Sagittario
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2012-05-05 03:17:37  
I still say that having a "Noob Corner" would be a good idea. I'd even be willing to write it up.

Would have to call it something else, I can see it now...

"Hey gtfo back to the noob corner noob!"
 Bismarck.Sylow
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-05-05 03:21:10  
I know, I'm just giving it a candid title for now, lol.
 Ramuh.Yarly
user: nignog
By Ramuh.Yarly 2012-05-05 03:22:35  
Should just lock the stupid question threads and direct the poster to RQT instead of threatening to ban people that post in them.
[+]
 Ramuh.Sagittario
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2012-05-05 03:30:39  
I know, I'm just giving it a candid title for now, lol.

Mount. Boon!
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2012-05-05 03:42:36  
Proth you do twist things out of context.

The comment about payment was one that questioned why people post. There's no financial incentive, that leaves two things on the table: 1) ego gratification from being recognized as good source or 2) ego gratification from being a jerk and making with the mad. Sometimes both reasons go hand in hand depending on how people approach writing their replies.

As for that other thread, you brought it up. I didn't. I'm fine keeping what's in another thread apart from what's in here but apparently you don't so let's look at that. I posted a set in a dead thread to get some feedback, you and others slammed picking on me for my choices. One would have thought I was advocating 5/5 pink gear.

Better way to handle it, that's my main point. IF you can't be civil let someone else handle it who can. If no one answers the question then I get the message that I might need to try asking another way/time/ or in another place. I don't need you to get in my face making assumptions and then justifying it because you get that angry at seeing certain things posted or asked a certain way. All I can ask at that point is why so mad?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9