フォーラム » FFXIAH.com » News » New people here on FFXIAH
New people here on FFXIAH
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-05-04 14:42:08  
Also worth noting that when we link existing threads we already serve the purpose of your New Player Codex. With each link there's usually also something like "USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION" or "RANDOM QUESTIONS THREAD". You certainly are not the only person directing people on how to use the various features of the forums, most of us also do it daily.
[+]
VIP
By alyria 2012-05-04 14:43:49  
proth. i understand that too, its not a win/win thing, it happens everywhere. this was done because of how ppl were being to ppl asking questions for info.

just trying to find solutions and work with everyone here
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-05-04 14:45:18  
We're just saying that this doesn't change anything at all, just adds a new thread to link to people that need to be redirected.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-05-04 14:45:55  
I've offered what I believe to be the most adequate solution. While it would be a lot of work for an already busy man, if Scragg could look into a wiki answers style thing to slap onto the website somewhere and moderators/admins could choose credible contributors to answer the questions instead of just anyone and their mother being able to, it would solve a lot of the problem. It would have to be in a visible spot with BIG LETTERS so people know where and what it is as soon as they turn on the website.
 Cerberus.Tikal
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-05-04 14:47:26  
Only thing I don't like about that idea is how fast it cycles, and it's as likely to be read by newcomers as a FAQ.
VIP
By alyria 2012-05-04 14:47:36  
which i like that idea too.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-05-04 14:48:29  
If they're reading it as an FAQ that already has an answer to their question, then they no longer have the need to ask the question. When you open up the widgit into an expanded form, it can have a search or something to search for questions that you need an answer to in BIG LETTERS and a noticeable place on the screen that even the smallest monkey can see. That way, there can be no complaints about ease of access/accessibility. Excellent.

Keep in mind I have nfc how possible this is, but from the stuff that Scragg has already done with the site I have no doubt in his ability to make this work.
 Cerberus.Tikal
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-05-04 14:49:52  
If they're not going to read a rules thread though, what's the chance of them reading a FAQ?

EDIT: I'm having a hard time envisioning it I think. I'd be interested to see it, at the very least.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-05-04 14:51:19  
The questions/answers will be easier to access/see at a glance, eliminating the issue of "LOL DIDNT WUNT TO LOOK". It wouldn't eliminate the entire problem, just most of it, leaving the 5-10% who don't want to do it right, which is far better than 100%.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-05-04 14:56:04  
Could be something like this:

Does anyone even use the CPI? Does it even work? It's been broken for me for a while I think. That or I'm reading it wrong. Either way, that spot could work.

(Ads removed for clarity, I'm not an ***)
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-05-04 14:59:09  
*spies what's on Pro's page*
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Tamoa
サーバ: Asura
user: Tamoa
By Asura.Tamoa 2012-05-04 15:00:59  
Let's face it, there will always be people (and more than just one or 2) that cba to look things up, much less use a search function on this or any other site.

Stupid questions deserve stupid answers. Especially when you cannot be bothered to do any kind of research yourself but want people to spoonfeed you everything. Even more so when you spam the forum with a weekly dose of questions to which you can find the answer/answers on multiple sites. It actually does get annoying to see the same person make thread after thread asking about the silliest things (silly as in extremely easy for anyone to find the information they seek). Remember Hordecore/Hordecora on the OF...?

But hey, that's just my opinion.

Proth's idea isn't a bad one though, I'm sure it can be done.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-05-04 15:01:04  
Josiahkf said: »
Or that column could be the top 5 or 10 accessed/newest guides/faqs, or accent one job(rotating)and list gearsets/ most equipped/newest items for it?

Too complex
 Bismarck.Sylow
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-05-04 18:24:15  
Fenrir.Minjo said: »
Quite frankly, if the only thing that comes out of this is Asym getting a pink mentor stamp with a Charis Tiara wrapped around it, I'd call it a success.

Edit: Flower included. None of that unisex hogwash.

That...would be the most adorable thing ever.
[+]
 Fenrir.Eneas
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Eneas
By Fenrir.Eneas 2012-05-04 18:33:53  

How? in the form of an IM chat?
Edit: Or have that space dedicated to guides (different colorur or highlited).
Existing ones for example DNC guide from niniann or the fishing one or any dedicated threads to talk about the most important game mechanichs etc.
 Shiva.Galbir
サーバ: Shiva
user: galbir
By Shiva.Galbir 2012-05-04 18:47:33  
Fenrir.Eneas said: »
Or have that space dedicated to guides (different colorur or highlited).
Existing ones for example DNC guide from niniann or the fishing one or any dedicated threads to talk about the most important game mechanichs etc.

I like this idea a front page sticky of sorts.
 Odin.Godofgods
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2012-05-04 18:57:25  
simple post, stop acting like douche bags to ppl.
6 pages later...
By Jetackuu 2012-05-04 19:04:04  
I didn't read them all but from what I understood the guy was ignoring what was being told and kept spamming threads instead of looking in the places he had already been told to look, so getting upset and short with that person I can understand, going as far as some did I can't though...
 Fenrir.Eneas
user: Eneas
By Fenrir.Eneas 2012-05-04 19:09:56  
Jetackuu said: »
I didn't read them all but from what I understood the guy was ignoring what was being told and kept spamming threads instead of looking in the places he had already been told to look, so getting upset and short with that person I can understand, going as far as some did I can't though...

Well, now we are discussing whats the best solution for this to happen again.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-05-04 19:10:10  
Aly Saxena said: »
OP looked pretty one-sided to me.
[+]
VIP
By alyria 2012-05-04 19:12:05  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
OP looked pretty one-sided to me.

its not i understand all sides.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
サーバ: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-05-04 19:15:06  
Was thinking about this and was wondering what people think about this.

When you create a new account you are redirected to the Newcomers Guide to FFXIAH topic. Would that be possible and if so would that be a problem? If you really want new members to see that topic I think that is the best solution right after you create an account for the site.

Just an idea, sorry if it's been mentioned already I didn't read the pages.
VIP
By alyria 2012-05-04 19:17:30  
youre late to the party kali!!!! :p
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
サーバ: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-05-04 19:18:09  
youre late to the party kali!!!! :p
I've been busy, sorry :(
 Sylph.Liltrouble
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2012-05-04 19:19:25  
Cerberus.Deadplaything said: »
The people on this site who do ask for help, regardless of how many times it has been posted in the past do not deserve to be treated like asshats. They are people just like you and me. I feel I have a good knowledge of things about this game, I don't know everything but I will answer any question you would like to ask without judging you are telling you to search for it. Some people need more patience.

I had personally been a regular on these forums for quite some time; years. I took a break from ah.com after posts became subject to a certain admin's ego and have recently returned as a regular browser, if not contributor, once I became confident that our opinions would be viewed by all and not axed.
I've never been banned from a topic or from the site. My sympathies expressed were towards those that I felt were wronged. However, that being said, on any open forums, there will always be those trolls that look specifically for an opportunity to derail a topic. This is typically done with negativity; directed at either the OP or towards someone's opinion.
Everyone that knows me knows how I roll. I don't ban anyone from the linkshells I'm responsible for; welcoming all. Yet, we still are able to accomplish feats (events) that elitists would declare reserved for them alone. I look at the shell as a manager for a professional sports team would look at their daily squad; a group of veterns surrounded by rookies. Forums, I believe, are (or should) be considered the same as well. As I am fond of saying, No candle ever lost it's flame by lighting another candle.
VIP
By alyria 2012-05-04 19:19:38  
ya its been mentioned already kali, im gonna see if scragg can work on it
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2012-05-04 19:21:09  
Siren.Kalilla said: »
Was thinking about this and was wondering what people think about this.

When you create a new account you are redirected to the Newcomers Guide to FFXIAH topic. Would that be possible and if so would that be a problem? If you really want new members to see that topic I think that is the best solution right after you create an account for the site.

Just an idea, sorry if it's been mentioned already I didn't read the pages.

It's a good idea, I do like it, but really the point of this thread is to deter people from acting like selfish uptight little jackasses to everyone just so they can make their *** wiggle a little bit (or uh ... I guess if it's a lady... her boobs jiggle?!? I dunno *shrug*) sure i've had my share of being a *** to people but only if they are setting themselves up for it (like making a obvious stupid thread or just making yourself out to look like a ***) but if they're just asking a question and you want to be a ***? yeah not cool really.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9