Piracy, Is It Truly Wrong?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Piracy, Is it truly wrong?
Piracy, Is it truly wrong?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-24 06:19:14  
Person A doesn't buy the product/doesn't use it: The person gets no entertainment value, the product gets no word of mouth, there is no chance of auxiliary income (from merchandise, other media, etc)

Person B pirates the product and uses it: The person gets entertained, if they like it they will likely recommend it to other people and give it some publicity, if they like it enough they may buy merchandise related to the product.

That's my basic stand on Piracy.

I'm just wondering what peoples basic stand on piracy is.
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-24 06:23:12  
I really don't see how it is illegal. I mean calling it intellectual theft is a stretch to say the least. Provided you aren't profitting on it of course.

People have copied and shared whatever all thru history. But just cause it is super easy now it is finally being dealt with lol.

Besides who wants to buy a CD or songs without knowing how much you like them first?
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-08-24 06:23:27  
Basically, this is how I feel about it.

However, if done correctly, you can deter pirates pretty easily. Most PC games have their online modes disabled through pirating (Though oddly enough, Split/Second still works online with a pirated copy), and if the game has a good online mode, that would still warrant a purchase even if you are an avid pirate.

Some companies make games exclusively for consoles (Which is still pirate-able, though much harder). Most casual pirates won't bother with these and just buy the game anyway.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-24 06:26:21  
I buy console games, and I'll buy a game I want to play online. Single player games (Unless I'm supporting a new franchise) will be pirated. I was thinking of buying Mafia II, and I pirated it instead, realised I really disliked it and saved some money that way.
 Ramuh.Yarly
user: nignog
By Ramuh.Yarly 2010-08-24 06:28:24  
I do like to play COR every now and then.
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-08-24 06:28:36  
I pretty much agree with all of that, but I'll also buy games I'm fairly certain I'll like.

Most of the newer games coming out nowadays only warrant one playthrough, then you just go back and sell them at Gamestop for a 30-dollar loss. Not worth it for 8 hours of gameplay.

Singularity, DMC4, Bayonetta, Metro 2033, Crackdown 2 are just some of the games I've bought recently that don't seem like they earned even half their selling price.
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-08-24 06:29:17  
Metallica thinks its wrong...
[+]
 Ifrit.Keeria
user: Keeria
By Ifrit.Keeria 2010-08-24 06:30:02  
My general method is to pirate something as sort of a free rental. If I like it, I'll gladly fork over the money for a legitimate copy; I want to support it, after all. If not, then whatever. From a more cynical view, it's really rental companies I'm personally in the business of harming. o.o;
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-24 06:31:04  
Last game I bought was SC2 because I wanted to play it online. It was ok, but I don't think it was worth £45.99 especially seeing as it essentially had 1/3 of the campaign.

Before that I bought Assassins creed II, and I don't regret that.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-08-24 06:31:46  
Another thing is, any game on a past console rarely, if ever, generates profit for the company that made it. If you were to buy it from a video game store, it would likely be a used copy and thus would only put money in the pockets of that company, rather than the creators.

In said situation, I see nothing wrong with just torrenting the game.
 Ifrit.Keeria
By Ifrit.Keeria 2010-08-24 06:32:54  
Siren.Enternius said:
Another thing is, any game on a past console rarely, if ever, generates profit for the company that made it. If you were to buy it from a video game store, it would likely be a used copy and thus would only put money in the pockets of that company, rather than the creators.

In said situation, I see nothing wrong with just torrenting the game.
That as well. Unless it's available on VC/PSN/XBLA as a port.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-24 06:35:19  
Ifrit.Keeria said:
My general method is to pirate something as sort of a free rental. If I like it, I'll gladly fork over the money for a legitimate copy; I want to support it, after all. If not, then whatever. From a more cynical view, it's really rental companies I'm personally in the business of harming. o.o;
Lol this. I mean yeah I'll love to buy something I was sure of but buying something I'm not really sure of meh
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-08-24 06:35:45  
I dont pirate, I buy my things. I got the latest X-Men 2 dvd...
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-24 06:37:46  
I would never buy a game on an easily emulatable (*** you it's a word) console.

My dad owns a video game store, and so many people come in to buy SNES and Megadrive game, I just don't get it.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-24 06:41:28  
Even though I have an emulator I love playing on snes rpgs on the snes.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-24 06:43:00  
Ramuh.Dasva said:

Same, but I'd never buy a SNES game from a shop anymore. I mean I've got a ton of the old consoles, but the only old console I buy for is my Dreamcast because it's got no good emulators :/
 Ifrit.Keeria
By Ifrit.Keeria 2010-08-24 06:43:36  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Same. It lacks the same charm otherwise. Main reason I love the Wii's classic controller is its (other than the joysticks) uncanny resemblance to the SNES controller.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-08-24 06:45:44  
I love my laptop for innumerable reasons, but the fact that I have a USB Super Nintendo controller and a SNES emulator with 2000 games for it makes it so much better than playing the games an old cartridge console.
 Cerberus.Kalyna
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2010-08-24 06:46:41  
Ramuh.Yarly said:
I do like to play COR every now and then.
lol
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-24 06:46:53  
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Same, but I'd never buy a SNES game from a shop anymore. I mean I've got a ton of the old consoles, but the only old console I buy for is my Dreamcast because it's got no good emulators :/

Dreamcast was the best console ever. I need to find an emulator for Tech Romancer. Loved that game.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-24 06:50:13  
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Dreamcast was the best console ever. I need to find an emulator for Tech Romancer. Loved that game.

It's in my top 3 consoles easily. Shenmue 1&2, Power Stone, Sonic Adventure 1&2, Skies of Arcadia, Chu Chu Rocket, Phantasy Star, Jet set radio, Ikaruga, Grandia 2, Crazy Taxi etc etc
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-24 06:51:17  
I grew up on the snes alot so I loved. Well nes too but meh. Plus snes was the golden age of rpgs
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-24 06:51:21  
Owned each one of those lol. Been hoping for an XBL port on Powerstone.
 Ifrit.Keeria
By Ifrit.Keeria 2010-08-24 06:52:27  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

It's in my top 3 consoles easily. Shenmue 1&2, Power Stone, Sonic Adventure 1&2, Skies of Arcadia, Chu Chu Rocket, Phantasy Star, Jet set radio, Ikaruga, Grandia 2, Crazy Taxi etc etc
I only owned a small number of Dreamcast games before one of my brothers stole and "misplaced" it, but Shenmue 1+2, Grandia 2, and Skies of Arcadia are among them, and are all also among the best games I've played. I was happy to see Skies ported to the Gamecube (which I immediately bought and played), as well as Grandia 2 on the PS2, but Microsoft buying Shenmue and then doing nothing with it made me very sad.
 Cerberus.Kalyna
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2010-08-24 06:53:05  
Piracy is wrong.

Reason:

They're not real pirates.

You Software pirates don't kill people! STOP CALLING YOURSELVES PIRATES!

yar

[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-24 06:54:44  
I was hoping for a port on Shenmue, apparently Steam is starting to port old Sega games.

Oh that game was so good. And yeah a powerstone port on XBL would be godly. One of the best fighters ever, easily.

The Dreamcast had such little popularity, but god-damn it was so good.

I remember getting a keyboard for it and going online XD it was my first console to go online, and my mind was blown.
 Ifrit.Keeria
By Ifrit.Keeria 2010-08-24 06:55:45  
Shenmue's unique gameplay and horrible voice acting are things I'll treasure always.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-24 06:56:24  
Ifrit.Keeria said:

I only owned a small number of Dreamcast games before one of my brothers stole and "misplaced" it, but Shenmue 1+2, Grandia 2, and Skies of Arcadia are among them, and are all also among the best games I've played. I was happy to see Skies ported to the Gamecube (which I immediately bought and played), as well as Grandia 2 on the PS2, but Microsoft buying Shenmue and then doing nothing with it made me very sad.

SoA is my favorite RPG ever (GC port was pretty crappy for a full retail cost though). I still need to finish Grandia 2, beat Melfice but my game freezes after the consecutive cut scenes. Shenmue needs to be finished, scrapping a trilogy after the 2nd game is so irritating since 2 was so much fun.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-24 06:57:43  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
I was hoping for a port on Shenmue, apparently Steam is starting to port old Sega games.

Oh that game was so good. And yeah a powerstone port on XBL would be godly. One of the best fighters ever, easily.

The Dreamcast had such little popularity, but god-damn it was so good.

I remember getting a keyboard for it and going online XD it was my first console to go online, and my mind was blown.

PSO? lol. Was my first MMO, I had crazy huge phone bills due to dial up back then. I liked Powerstone 2 more though. Was pretty nice of Sega to give out free copies of Chu Chu Rocket though.
 Ifrit.Keeria
By Ifrit.Keeria 2010-08-24 06:58:26  
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Ifrit.Keeria said:

SoA is my favorite RPG ever (GC port was pretty crappy for a full retail cost though). I still need to finish Grandia 2, beat Melfice but my game freezes after the consecutive cut scenes. Shenmue needs to be finished, scrapping a trilogy after the 2nd game is so irritating since 2 was so much fun.
I didn't mind the full retail cost as I hadn't yet finished it on the Dreamcast and was very eager to play it again. It added sidequests too, so I was quite happy with it.
As for Shenmue, I hated the Xbox for many years over that. >.> Had to import the European version just to play 2 without forking over a few hundred dollars for a new console.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9